1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Beer and chips thread.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by canary-dave, Mar 6, 2016.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

My ex in-laws used to run the Off Liccence just up from The Wherry in the late 70s and 80s!!! <ok>
    PS - One of the top sellers was draught sherry!! <doh>

ilovedelia likes this.
  2. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

I'm sure it was, couldn't have been worse. Not familiar with Branford Arms, must have been the one I missed! :emoticon-0121-angry
    Anyone remember a pub in the Lower Goat Lane area, the 'Raven'! Friday night fight pub.

3. ilovedelia

I remember places like that with the draught sherry. You could take your own bottle and get it filled,

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember the Bramford Arms - between Sprowston Road and Silver Road wasn't it???

I occasionally helped out on a Saturday evening in the late 70s - don't think I remember seeing you in there!!! <laugh>

ilovedelia likes this.
  5. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sure was buddy - sadly(?) went the same way as the Cygnet <yikes> on Silver Road and is now history.
    Walk up the hill on the right and your next port of call would / will be the Marlborough Arms.
    please log in to view this image

6. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

BTW, I've made a fist of (trying to) sort it out but I like the idea of a pub / beer thread so have made it a sticker. So it doesn't get lost and drop off the page. Football / cricket / F1 / tennis will all have their season - but beer and pubs are eternal (in an ideal world!) <cheers>
    Plus I really like the nostalgia factor and never realised I used to live so close to fellow forum contributors. Please don't let me be the only person who remembers / drank in the Cygnet? :emoticon-0112-wonde

JM Fan likes this.
  7. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

The Raven Stores! Remember it well! <yikes>

Now 'Paolo's Restaurant' - so many great pubs disappeared. :grin:

ilovedelia likes this.
  8. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

The Marlborough Arms was a street up from me as a kid. Played pool in the backroom when my mate's parents drank in there of an afternoon. Proper sticky carpet place back then. I remember the Cygnet as it was opposite George White School. Occasionally there was an e-type jag in its car park whcih we drooled over as kids. Drank in the Branford a few times when I revisited my old man - didn't it have a decent overhaul in the late 90s? The Plasterers was my favourite. Always pop back there for a pint or six when I'm in the fine city. Usually a good few guest beers on.

A few more lost ones here: http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/do_you_remember_these_old_norwich_pubs_1_4286208

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  9. Graham Paddon Football Genius

Just do not have the Adnams single malt it is terrible, as someone who has a life mission to find a single malt I do not like, the Adnams one is by far the worst so far.

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I occasionally pop into the Plasterers for a beer and they do have a very good range of ales on tap. The Lord Rosebery has had an update and it's selling Bullards amongst others!!!

11. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

My great aunt Nellie Springford used to run the "Jolly Farmers" in Loddon, that was a Bullards pub <ok>

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Apparently, the Redwell Brewery has bought the recipes for the Bullards beers and I really like them. <cheers>

13. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I might have to try that when I come up and see if it's as good as I remember it when I was 13 <yikes>

14. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I grew up on St Philip's Road in the City and there were two great pubs in the vicinity, The Belle Vue and The Alexandra. Haven't been in either for years now, does anyone know if they're still decent watering holes?
    Co-incidently when I got married in '88 we had our reception in the Alexandra, terrific pub landlord was called 'Tiny' because he was so fecking huge <laugh>

15. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

16. ilovedelia

Never forget the first time I went in there:
    No tables or chairs nothing on the bar, glasses were returned as soon as they were empty or you were chucked out. This was a Friday night and something kicked off around 9 ish, didn't appear to be a reason for it but it seemed a regular occurrence.
    There was another rough pub in that area, my memory seems to think it was the 'Post Office Tavern' in the Exchange Street area, big Bikers pub, in fact you could take your bike in there and sit on it while having a pint or two, while quite threatening can't ever remember any trouble.

ncgandy likes this.
  17. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Yeah I remember him doing that, was a real Naval man, there was memorabilia throughout the pub. I have a feeling he may still own the Alexandra although I'm not sure.

18. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

That brings back memories of Gundry Whites in Queen St. I was a Biker back in the day and on a Friday and Saturday night we'd all pile in there. There would be dozens of bikes parked out front and nobody thought twice about having a few jars and then riding off after. (Present company excepted of course <whistle>)

ncgandy and ilovedelia like this.
  19. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Remember that well too! Changed later to the Bull and Bush I believe.

Now it's the Côte Brasserie! <yikes> We may be losing our boozers, but we'll have plenty of eateries! <laugh><ok>

20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Later became 'Refreshers' (what a meh name for a boozer!) notable only for a brilliant pinball table on which I used to excel <ok>
    please log in to view this image

ilovedelia, KIO and ncgandy like this.