1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Beginning of the end?

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by The Gills PegLeg, Aug 24, 2021.

1. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

After being forced to play Max Ehmer up front in the second half in a drab Cup game tonight, Mr Evans had some strong words for our chairman it seems. Some of which to me suggest that he could even be close to walking.

Not sure these will work as it's been several years since I uploaded an image on here so apologies but taken from twitter.

Screenshot_20210824_232510.jpg

Screenshot_20210824_232620.jpg

Screenshot_20210824_232541.jpg

Even someone like myself who wasn't enamoured with Evans' appointment has got concerns of what state we will be in if he walks.

2. brb

brb CR250

Steve Evans was clearly upset, frustrated and many other words I could add to the pot from last night, and personally I do NOT blame him.

When he first came to club, I wasn't in the best of moods about it, but the man has stepped into what is a very difficult job with what we always assume is a shoestring budget in todays world of football.

Last season after the blight of covid, he brought us to the edge of the play-offs, for the first season in a very long time, we weren't looking over our shoulders at a League One relegation battle, instead we were up there messing with the bigger boys.

Even this season, the lads are giving their all, because like us, Evans always expects the best you can give.....I'm sure Evans from the comments above also expects the same from our Chairman, give the best that you can give, that means, get your wallet out!

If Evans walks, the Chairman will have a riot on his hands, that's not a threat it's merely how I see this situation unfolding, anyone that read twitter last night would know Evans has the backing of the supporters.

I still bare the scars of Dover, deep wounds on how these things can turn out. The man needs a striker, sort it please.

3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb - I can only dream of not 'liking' your post !
    People may not share some of the 'negative' comments I have against Mr. Scally..... but - he gives so many opportunities for them !'
    I am pragmatic, and realise that GFC haven't got huge - (much),(any) money with which to play. I am not expecting, nor would I want Mr. Scally to 'bankrupt' the Club by trying to 'buy' success with money that doesn't, or will exist..........Maybe we have to accept the stark financial reality of the status of GFC as a humble football club........... Realistically our only hope of a bit of cash in the near future is to nurture and sell on a young player - and use the transfer fee to improve the squad - but let's not hold our breath!... All clubs, outside of the EPL ( and even some within ), try to do the same..... It's not that I am unambitious - but - can clearly see that the future of the Club isn't going to suddenly take a Covid style Spike !

I may be a little harsh - when I say that Mr. Scally, foremost, is a businessman. Despite many examples of 'waste of money' over the years of his tenure, he has been able to keep the Club 'afloat.'..... Personally, I believe that has only been possible due to the extraordinary number of favourable transfer deals and 'add-ons' that we've received in the last quarter century...and the money from us fans.. and NOT from any occasion when Mr. Scally has put his hand in his pocket ( other than depositing into it ! )....

......This scenario isn't going to change any time soon.. Mr. Scally is in a win-win position. If the Club gets a bit of money - from whatever source - then 'great!' if the financial position becomes fatal, Mr. Scally can put it into administration - then flatten the place and build a load of houses and flats - and walk away with many £££MILLIONS .

In the meantime - despite my diatribe - I can have sympathy for the business problems that Mr. Scally faces -- but -- he doesn't endear himself to the fans with his lack of communication on many current issues ( mostly off the pitch ), which many fans have voiced....... it leaves fans feeling that we are being treated merely as customers......I am not a customer !

brb and Lord Sondes Clock like this.
  4. alwaysright

De javu ?
    It might be coincidental that we play Shrewsbury on Saturday -- what with the vibes that have come from Evans in the last week or so, don't be surprised if GFC are looking for a different manager after Saturday !

A few years ago, after playing at Shrewsbury, Mr. Scally gave Maddog a text with a P45 attachment..... This time, if (when ) we lose, I reckon it might push Evans to 'walk.'...... If we ignore the less desirable side of his nature - purely from a football viewpoint, it is difficult to deny that Evans has some ability to achieve success --- but -- even he needs better tools with which to work than the tools he has at GFC.

October is traditionally the beginning of the 'sacking' season within football... If Evans is still here in another month, don't be surprised if he looks at the situations vacant - because, I reckon he's become more disenchanted with the lack of striker recruitment, than fans are with the excrement that is happening off the pitch.

brb likes this.
  5. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Let's hope a striker does come before transfer window closes otherwise yes I think Evans will go

alwaysright likes this.
  6. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Was not a fan of Evans as had past history with us and other clubs. What I did know was he was a decent manager at this level had has proved that with us with two 10th place finish. Also thought he had signed 2 years not 3 so was happy was here for another year. Has also spoken very well about the club , supporters and area.
    So would like him to carry on for as long as possible. Scally does need to get another forward at least to make us competitive

7. alwaysright

edited your post - just to make it 'correct.'

8. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

ANOTHER forward if you please! Unless you consider that a 20 goal season by Oliver to be irrelevant.

9. alwaysright

Windyrog, I was only being mischievous!
    I know you can't get to the games - and, yes, we do need ANOTHER forward... Oliver wins many headers - but there's nobody to feed off him......
    ... Perhaps I am getting ready to join Evans, Dempsey & maybe even Scally in "giving up" !

10. brb

brb CR250

Just signed for us...

gioblues and alwaysright like this.