1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bending the knee is not sport.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Woody, Sep 14, 2020.

1. The Redbaron

The Redbaron Well-Known Member

Its another Crusade started by SKY Sports. They have been on more Crusades than Richard the Lion Heart.

clockstander and Smug in Boots like this.
  2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

It's the clearest example of how to paint yersel into a corner.

If the kneeling is to help eradicate racism how can they stop doing it, after all this time, without a result ...

... if they stop 'taking the knee' it'll be a signal that things have improved, which probably won't be the case.

If they just keep doing it the whole thing will become ridiculous and even the most fervent supporters will roll their eyes.

3. The Doodler

The Doodler Active Member

If the players choose to demonstrate their support for the cause, in particular for their black team mates then we ought to respect that decision.

The reaction from the Teesside knuckle-draggers was embarrassing.

4. Smug in Boots

That's my problem, what exactly is the cause?

The players wear BLM insignia, in support, yet I don't agree with everything they're demanding so can't fully support them ...

... I'd doubt the players do either if they were totally honest.

When the TV match commentators say 'football supports inequality' why don't they read out all BLM demands?

I don't agree with defunding the police for example ... do you, do the players?

I agree with eliminating racism but I don't agree with pulling down statues or fighting in the streets.

BLM is more than just anti-racism whereas 'Kick Racism Out' was just that ...

... why did the clubs have to suddenly jump onto the BLM 'cause'?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  5. The Doodler

I'm not sure what you're objecting to. The BLM badges have been dropped, however, it seems many players are continuing to show solidarity for their team mates in an active statement to say racism is wrong.

The action has moved on and is no longer part of the BLM movement and the campaign is No Room for Racism and continuing support for Kick it Out where players may still choose to take the knee before games.

Sunderpitt likes this.
  6. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Sort of related, but I find it offensive, racist and exclusionary when the term “people of colour” is used to describe anyone who is not Caucasian. Last time I looked in the mirror I was not colourless.

7. Smug in Boots

Taking the knee is inextricably lined to George Floyd and the BLM movement, that's the problem.

8. The Doodler

Taking the knee is a clear message to onlookers:

- players of this team do not accept racism

If, to you, that means they also support BLM then that is no longer the message from Southgate's Euro hopefuls nor the high profile members of the Premier League.

Either you don't understand the message, or the Premier League has not conveyed their message clearly enough. Then again perhaps you feel that footballers do not have the right to object to racism in this visual manner.

9. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

It's another divisive issue like Brexit.

Choose your side and stand up for it with conviction. Neither side will agree with each other and all the arguing achieves nothing.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  10. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

The kick it out campaign is a very good idea and lots of people got involved, it should be persisted with. I object to taking the knee and the raising of a black fist, I find them both offensive.

11. The Doodler

I fail to understand why you should find this offensive

12. Smug in Boots

That's my problem, it's far from clear.

Saying it was once the heartfelt message but now the same kneeling, by the same players, conveys a bit of a different message isn't clear at all imo.

Guy Incognito likes this.
  13. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

Woody and farnboromackem like this.
  14. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

God knows what I done there ⬆️
    I am sick and tired of being preached and spoken down to, all forms of racism are vile. I don’t need a Man City player for example preaching to me, he’s on mega money paid by an owner with outrageous human values.
    I am there to watch a football match, not to be lectured on morality.

Rhinos Legend and Guy Incognito like this.
  15. Smug in Boots

Wilfred Ndidi, the Leicester player, is a Nigerian fella who, as far as I know, has never had a word to say about their police force.

They're generally believed to be the worst police force in the world, endlessly brutalising and killing their own people.

Yet Ndidi is straight down on his knee over an American criminal.

That's the kind of hypocrisy that dilutes the message imo.

16. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

I'm not fussed by players doing it.

I can't understand why people would actively boo it. That just seems petty to me.

I am however really ****ing sick of rich arseholes pontificating without really doing anything tangible about it.

We need way more of the likes of Rashford. Many of the others are just sheep. Plastic ****ing sheep.

17. Smug in Boots

My problem entirely mate.

I've worked for the Salvation Army, walked miles for charity and sold poppies in France for the British Legion.

Football players kneeling down for a bit doesn't making them morally superior because I wouldn't kneel.

I wouldn't boo but I do find it ludicrous and slightly pathetic ...

... there's nothing brave or defiant about it, most players manage to make it look like a bit of a chore tbh.

I'd honestly love to see football players reaction if they were asked to protest about drink driving or speeding <laugh>

Rhinos Legend and Guy Incognito like this.
  18. The Doodler

It's a bit of a twisted turn to expect players to object to other police or military regimes elsewhere. We were once the mariners and lords over a slave empire with glorified buildings in our city centres and present-day business owners built upon those profits, should we rage against our forbears too?

If I were at a match and people were to boo at players taking the knee I would be embarrassed for them and near equally aghast at anyone turning their back.

Players on the pitch are freely committing to a cause and their personal expression - 'we don't want to live in a world where there is racism' and using their profile and media attention to try and further that cause. Objecting to it for any reason seems rather odd.

19. Smug in Boots

Such as the USA for example which is exactly how this all started ...

... can't you see that?

it's Ndidi's homeland, the country he plays for, yet he never has a word to say despite Nigeria's police between much worse.

Using words like twisted, odd, etc, about people who post honest opinions isn't nice btw.

Dancingstripes and Guy Incognito like this.
  20. The Redbaron

The Redbaron Well-Known Member

Taking the knee goes way back to the first rebellion in the Black Power movement in the late 60's early 70's and the Olympic Games and Tommy Smith in Mexico....All of these years later, with countless lives being lost shows that It never worked then and it won't work now.

Sunderpitt likes this.