1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Bill Nicholson Arms

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by ShelfSideSpur, Jan 27, 2011.

1. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Shame it is photoshopped

2. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to remember the tennis courts but can't. Don't know why.I was always walking about in that area,including Green Lanes.They may have been at the other end of a road that went down to Lordship Lane with a pub on the corner.(The Freemasons?).I used to walk to this pub on occasions as a kid to pay in some Christmas money for the family (I would have been 10 or under.Probably been killed today!!!!!)
    I did love to watch the grown ups playing bowls in that tiny little park in Lordship Lane.Couldn't wait to get old!!!!!! The Wood Green Animal Shelter was opposite.Sometimes I would sit in that park to catch a glimpse of the brown City Coaches setting off to Southend-On-Sea or returning to their Wood Green garage near the tube station.My Saturday morning at the pictures theatre was close by to this garage...the old Gaumont…...where mum sent you while she did the shopping!
    Further away,another haunt. Train spotting on the way up to Ally Pally...….I'd better stop this....I'm getting mushy...….!

3. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Yeah, but there's always an element of doubt with Carol

4. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

The doubt would be more if it didn't have fake in the top left corner.

5. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

<laugh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  6. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

I meant the tennis courts in White Hart Lane, Wood Green end. I knew the gardens off Perth Rd & Lordship Lane very well. Always beautifully kept and a lovely bowling green and tennis court. The pub right opposite was The Lordship & a bit further along The Freemasons which ran the Christmas Club. I think it was some sort of insurance as well so if you snuffed it your family had a pay out toward funeral costs! If you survived you got your payments back for Christmas. Knew the old gaumont well and supported the Wood Green Animal Shelter who done marvelous work. I feel very chirpy tonight with 3 points in the bank & 2 rivals dropping 2! Long may it continue :emoticon-0148-yes: :emoticon-0136-giggl

bigsmithy9 likes this.
  7. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Oh for ****'s sake...

8. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Intelligent fekker, does he not understand what a non-executive director does?

9. I love rhetorical questions <laugh>

N-ED’s can make or break a company, particularly in its infancy. Trouble is, the role has been somewhat devalued in the public eye because of it being abused for political reason or nepotistic purposes. But don’t imagine for one minute that this Neanderthal would understand that either......<doh>

10. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

At first I thought you were talking about non-educated delinquents...

11. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Found this over the weekend - A sort of forerunner of the panini sticker books collected stickers from Petrol stations! We filled this one - not a huge amount of spurs content to be honest. golden goals.jpg

12. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

Saw a clip the other day with Brian Moore that was from the BBC. I only recall him as an ITV person. This being compiled by him and Jimmy Hill would suggest a BBC tie up.

13. "Thanks for that Brian"

Brian was a top radio commentator for the BBC, he was their choice to do the World Cup in '66, which says all you need to know about how good he was. I heard a recording of his commentary a few years back and very good he was too.

From his Wiki page...

"In 1961, Moore became a football commentator and presenter on BBC Radio and the Corporation's first football correspondent in 1963. Moore, Alan Clarke and Maurice Edelston were behind the mic for BBC Radio when England won the 1966 FIFA World Cup. Moore also covered the FA Cup Final from 1964 to 1967, and European Cup Winners' Cupvictories for Tottenham Hotspur (1963) and West Ham United (1965), and Celtic's European Cup triumph in 1967."

Maurice Edelston...........I'd forgotten that name.

bigsmithy9 and SpursDisciple like this.
  14. The Changing Man

Brian Moore & Jimmy Hill worked together on the Big Match for ITV in the late 60s & early 70s, Brian introduced the show and commentated on the main match from London and Jimmy was basically the first ex-player pundit, the book includes details of the winners of The Big Matches 'Golden Goals' (goal of the season) competition for the 1968-69,69-70 and 70-71 seasons

15. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

When I hear Brian Moore's voice I think roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, he was the embodiment of Sunday lunchtime to my youthful self. He was a very good commentator, his love of the game came through every commentary.
    Now I hear he worked for BBC and Jimmy Hill for ITV. My world is turned upside down.

16. The Changing Man

17. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Brian Moore. Always my favourite. I always suspected he was a closet Spurs fan.You watchand listen to him when the Spurs were playing!
    I have a football,how to,By M.Edelston from the fifties.
    As I reach an age ,I have books,mags and programmes going back to before the war and no one to leave 'em to!!!!!!….and I'm a long way from "home"!

18. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

He was an out and proud Gillingham fan. Was a Director there.

19. The Changing Man

The Gillingham Fanzine was even called Brian Moores Head (looks uncannily like the London Planetarium) in his honour (though that is actually a line from the half man half biscuit song Dickie Davies eyes)

bmh.jpg

20. "Thanks for that Brian"

For me, what shone out about Brian's commentary was how much he enjoyed doing it and got genuinely excited about the action. In a similar vein, but to a lesser extent, enjoyed Barry Davies and now sort of like Jonathan Pearce...sort of.

Motty's not for me.

: #spursy