1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bit radical but

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by vinkel, Apr 28, 2021.

1. vinkel

vinkel Well-Known Member

Let Dickman take the under 23s to Plymouth, and Johnson and the first team watch.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  2. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

too risky, we still need points i reckon and we want a top 4 finish. On paper we should win both games anyhow but this is Sunderland !.

3. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

Like the idea, but the League wouldn't allow as there are relegations to be dealt with still in the league. Be funny also if we could draw what positions they played out of the hat.

4. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Hasnt he just broken his leg in two places.

5. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

sure it wasn't his neck as the under 23s are winning games now and playing a lot better, instead of the walk over we were 6mths ago

6. clockstander

It happened only two weeks ago, Elliot has been one of those responsible for our revival at U23 level, and I reckon they would give our first eleven problems atm. so well organised are they. It was Paul Reid who stunk the place out, probably a FM21 fan. <laugh>

7. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Wasnt Dickman the coach of the u23s when they were losing every game? I think he has been in his current role a good few years, but could be wrong.

I would agree on Reid though, not sure what his role was really, other than an old Eastleigh pal...

8. clockstander

There are two Dickmans at the Academy, and I'm not sure tbh about who was in charge last year, but the difference suggests that radical changes have taken place. My favourite coach at academy level was Robbie Stockdale and its a pity he wasn't retained when Jack Ross took over, things may have been a lot different with a bit of local knowledge to help him settle in. Maybe that game against Wolves settled Robbie's fate in that particular direction. Hes doing ok atm. working with Big Sam at WBA , I hope he goes on and has some success somewhere, as he thoroughly deserves it imo.

9. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I thought Stockdale was a good coach as well and would have him back involved no bother.
    Despite who the coach was last year the problem was more down to the players we didnt have I suspect. Diamond out on loan for example (although maybe that is working for us now). Plus we seemed to have a permanently propped open exit door for the best young player. Maybe that is why Reid was brought in, pal from Eastleigh who wouldnt shout the odds at best players going. I am probably just being cynical now. At least now we are a club trying to bring players into the u23s, like Hawkes, rather than just letting them go. May take a couple of years to rebuild the conveyor but like you say it is a very different looking setup now.