1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Black Cats test

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Southcoastoldgaffer, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Gotta be one of those those season defining games. I am sure they will be up for it after a poor run, we had better be too. Amazing full away support too. Out of interest, anyone know if the match team and staff train up, or coach, or even fly and stay the night. In the good old days it was alwasy the team coach, but have things changed with MoneyjinglingChangers?

Any changes from our usual 11 after last 3 games? Must admit, I would like to see Edwards dropped for once.

If our A team get started from the Off and give it their all, I see a Gold standard BigAl 2-1 to Town and up we go to edge of Play-offs.

And I shall be on an Away day in Holland to watch this one too!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

“A gold standard 2-1 Town win?”I’ll settle for that!<cheers>

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Sorry to be a pedant but do you mean season defining matches? Although the game does define the match I’m not sure that’s what you were angling for?

My reservation here is that for my first in person Town match for two years I’ll be utterly devastated if we don’t at least get a score draw.

4-3 with an injury time winner would do.

I suspect it will be the coach otherwise it’s a drive to Norwich airport, waiting around and you’d be half way to the North East already.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  4. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think this will be a tough match and despite our recent good form (one defeat in the last 11 across all competitions), I can't quite see a win. Maybe I'm still in the mindset of the Lambert years, where we'd consistently lose these type of games. Having said that, a draw would be a positive result - considering Sunderland have only lost once at home all season (winning the rest). They're on a blip at the moment, having been thrashed away from home by both Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday in their last two league games. They also suffered a cupset against Mansfield in the FA Cup. But they've still only lost one league match at home - winning the rest. For us, there does seem to be a sign of progress and consistency, and we convincingly beat Wycombe who were strong at home.

Regarding the starting eleven, I think Walton, Donacien, Edmondson, Morsy, Celina, and Bonne are ensuring they're among the first names on the team sheet and we have a good spine there. As Gaffer says, I'd drop Edwards to the bench and move Celina to the left and put Chaplin in the middle. Clements had a good game against Oxford, but I'd rather Coulson there if he's fit.

Prediction: 2-2

PS: Hampy, enjoy the match!

5. Southcoastoldgaffer

Season it is Hampy, thanks for correction and I am sure you will enjoy yrself amongst 2000 Town fans shouting yrself hoarse for a famous away win!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

7. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

Head says 2-1 loss. Heart says 3-1 win. We don’t create enough chances still (although we’ve scored a lot from the few we have) it’s not a sustainable model.

hope Edward’s is dropped as he’s offered little. Chaplin is bound to play and I think he’ll go with Fraser on the left after some uneventful Celina games of late.

8. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Such a tough game to call as both teams are in a little odd form, whilst our results have improved the performances still blow a bit hot and cold and Sunderland are in terrible form but still have a very good home record.

Agree with what Nuggets says, I'd drop Edwards and move Celina wide left and put Chaplin or Fraser in the middle although I'd like to get them both in the team

9. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Sunderland will turn things round, im certain of that, they're too good to not be up there.
    Usually when a team goes on a losing streak, the first game that stops the rot is a draw. Unfortunately I can't see us winning this game. They've had a good 10 days to prepare and sort their issues out. In saying that, if we can score the first goal, then maybe their heads will drop...but i think they'll be well up for this game.
    1-1 draw for me.

10. Southcoastoldgaffer

Oh dear, I seem to be one of the few optimists on here!

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

How Lee Johnson has that job I have no idea. His laid back powder puff demeanour lacked any passion or intensity in the snippets I saw on the local news last night. Maybe that suits getting a club out of trouble because I doubt he ever lets his head drop, but Sunderland don’t frighten me whatsoever as long as he’s in charge.

12. itfcptc

He's kept similar traits to his time at Bristol where he seemed to go on brilliant runs followed by awful runs

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Let’s hope the awful run continues for a few more matches. 6 points off them in the next few weeks would be nice.

14. Southcoastoldgaffer

No room in starting line-up for Chaplin or Fraser. Hopefully they come on as impact subs in good time.

15. itfcptc

I do struggle slightly with that front 4, the quality is there but not alot of balance, effectively you've got 3 wingers playing and they all with maybe the exception of Aluko look far better when not cutting in. Add to that a striker who's game isn't really to hold it up. With that 4 it seems a bit of an all or nothing line up, if things are going our way they can be devastating but if not they can go missing.

Celinas stats this season are half decent but from memory the majority of his assists have come from when he's been moved wide which he's probably spent only 10% of his time there.

Really surprised Edwards stays in the team, not because he's that bad but because the level of player we have behind him and their stats either this season or the previous one

16. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Today will be one of them games....
    Sunderland 1-5 Ipswich

17. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Come on Ipswich!

18. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Happy that Clements is playing again

19. Southcoastoldgaffer

Good start, Town playing confidently.

20. Southcoastoldgaffer

5 corners, get the 1st goal, and the Cats will cave in. Best opening spell for weeks.