1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Black Managers

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by luvgonzo, May 20, 2019.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Was just reading through this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48217557

But despite his interest in remaining in the game, Chantelle says "as much as he'd love to, he's been put off applying because I don't think there's much for him".

"I think the clubs should do more - giving the black players better jobs. Look at Sol Campbell, look how many caps he has and he's managing at Macclesfield.

"They need the big clubs. Why not the England manager's job?

"I think they definitely need to make more jobs available for black players and Emile would be the first there.

"All the good jobs seem to go to United or Chelsea players - which is a shame because they've all played at the same level," Chantelle added.

I don't really get this side of things but I'm also happy to listen to other opinions here, Why should there be special rules and support for black people in football? It should be a level playing field where the best candidate plus the interview gets the job regardless of race.

"The principles of a voluntary Rooney Rule have been formally adopted by the England team set-up. This will ensure that at least one BAME candidate will be interviewed for every role as long as such a candidate has applied and meets the recruitment criteria.

This could mean that a more qualified white person misses out because there is a rule that one BAME manager has to be considered.

I understand that if there is racism within the game that something needs to be done to correct this but it seems that adding a rule means that you are not actually dealing with the problem?

2. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Bobby Charlton, Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, Paul Ince ... we're all great players and pretty **** managers .... nowt to do with their colour.

You shouldn't be entitled to a managerial role due to colour quota or your playing ability .... Sol is going about it the right way for me .... earn your stripes in the lower leagues and the bigger clubs will come calling <ok>

PINKIE and NSIS like this.
  3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hughton is a good example he's had various jobs in different parts of the country, he's a good manager so gets jobs nothing to do with him being black.

Monkey and Diego like this.
  4. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

No black manager would be sacked if they were doing a fantastic job.

The WBA manager was doing ok, but he should have been pissing that league.

Saf likes this.
  5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

He was given the job did ok so got the role and then things went downhill and he got sacked just like anyone would.

Don't get me wrong if there are black people not being considered for job where they are clearly more qualified than another person then that needs to be dealt with and that means dealing with the people overlooking candidates because of their race and not sticking a rule in that is essentially racist where a more qualified white person may be overlooked so that a quota is filled.

Tel (they/them) likes this.
  6. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Frank Lampard walks straight into Derby.

Big Sol has to cut his teeth at Macclesfield.

Just saying.

BrunelGooner, haslam, brb and 3 others like this.
  7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Yeah this is where it needs to be looked at, why is that? Now it could be Lampards profile? Heskeys wife mentions jobs going to Man Utd and Chelsea players with Lampard there's an argument to be had but Ole has had a few jobs before getting the Man Utd role.

8. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

.... a fair point ... but he was replacing Gary Rowett not Jose Mourinho... (and was told that there wasn't much money so would have to use the loan market - which he has done to great effect with his Chelsea connection) ...

9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It should be based on ability rather than colour. So I’m against simply promoting somebody simply because they increase the quota of ethnic managers. But I think there is an issue with black managers not being afforded the same opportunities as white managers.

01 21 Do One and luvgonzo like this.
  10. Tiddler

Tiddler Hoshu-tekina

Hughton's 1st managerial post was at Newcastle. Hardly started at the bottom, did he.

11. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

So who is it within clubs that decides to overlook a more qualified black manager over a white manager? That is where the problem lies and that is who needs to be dealt with. Adding a silly rule means the root cause is still there.

12. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

He was a coach at Spurs before that and has managed Norwich, it's just one person though but it is a good point.

01 21 Do One likes this.
  13. Tiddler

Tiddler Hoshu-tekina

It would be interesting to know the number of failed applications made by BAME candidates compared to those of white ones.

Treble and Quesadaad like this.
  14. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Yeah where are the numbers and are there black managers that are clearly more qualified being overlooked? If there are you can start questioning the powers that be at the clubs involved and putting pressure on the actual people causing the problem, if you don't do it this way you get the rule where one black person has to be interviewed and then the racist within the club still doesn't give him the job.

15. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It’s the club’s chairmen, CEO’s and directors. Still largely populated by public school educated white wealthy men.

When you look at the US, there are successful coaches in the NFL, Baseball, Basketball etc who are Black / Hispanic, so clearly ability isn’t based on ethnicity.

I don’t want to see ‘positive discrimination’ or quotas in football because it’s just more discrimination. But I do think the whole culture of wealthy white men at the top making the decisions needs to be looked at. A theme which runs through the whole of society to be honest.

16. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

If I was having a guess I'd go with you've hit the nail on the head there.

PINKIE likes this.
  17. Tiddler

Tiddler Hoshu-tekina

They all employ plenty of black players as they want to win. Winning equals profit. Why would they suddenly become racists when employing managers?

BobbyD, Saf and Deleted....... like this.
  18. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

The Rooney rule has been in operation in the NFL for a while now. Whilst it doesn't address the problem it does make it compulsory for at least one BAME applicant to be interviewed and the number of BAME coaches in the NFL has risen since it has been introduced. The way of hiring managers over there is very different to here though so like most things in the NFL it probably wouldn't work in football.

luvgonzo likes this.
  19. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Exactly this.
    The idea that chairmen and boards are purposefully turning away qualified black managers purely because of the colour of their skin is ludicrous.
    Man United are prepared to spend the best part of £100m to buy Pogba as a player but would balk at a black manager?! Don't think so.

Saf and 01 21 Do One like this.
  20. Certain comments made around the Chris Hughton sacking could have the opposite effect to the one hoped for by some individuals. When you hire a manager you know that there is a massive chance that at some point you're going to sack them. You may well be less likely to employ a black manager if you know you'll be accused of racism once that happens.

21. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Maybe that has something to do with it.
    There are plenty of Extreme left radicals who are more than prepared to hurl racism accusations at the drop of a hat.
    If anything DOES put chairmen off hiring black managers, maybe it is that?
    But even still, football is all about money, the only colour these football club directors care about is green, if it will make them money or not.....if they thought signing a certain manager would lead to success, black or white, I seriously doubt they would give a ****.

Money is the objective in football these days, pure and simple......the only real systemic racism left in football is among certain vocal minorities of retard fans.

The amount of black players revered at top clubs shows that it certainly isn't a major stumbling block for most.
    I love Didier Drogba and Ashley Cole....two players instrumental to our PL wins and CL win in the past, and I care not one iota that they are black. they are Chelsea legends

01 21 Do One likes this.