1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Blackburn away

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Captain Morgan, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I'm visiting the Lancashire-based in-laws and taking the opportunity of a cheeky away game. Anyone else going?

2. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Not always been a happy hunting ground for us. Last year being the lowest of the low. Here's to you and the boys seeing the Gaffer's rejuvinated side turning things around.

In today's press conference he, as usual, didn't give anything away about the players you'll be watching. One good thing about last night was that, apart from half an hour of Smith, he didn't have to use any of his first teamers from the bench. Woodrow went off injured but apparently it was just a 'knock' on the foot he broke last year and he's fine.

Only real question is whether Sigurdsson will play. Reckon he will and I'm going for a starting line-up of:

.......................Button..............
    .........Kalas..Sigurdsson..Madl...
    ..Odoi....McDonald..Parker..Sessegnon...
    ...........Cairney.............Aluko...
    .....................Smith...

3. Captain Morgan

I like the look of your line-up, Cottager. I think Sigurdsson will start as well, but I think he'll be in a four rather than a three. Whether Madl moves into midfield or either him or Kalas gives way, I wouldn't like to say. Whatever the formation, I hope Cairney isn't expected to play wide.

4. Cottager58

It's kind of weird having positive choices for a change. Kalas of course played regularly at RB for 'Boro and Sessegnon was tried out at wing back against Cardiff. Ugh, can't cope with all the possible permutations, I'll trust in the Gaffer to know what he's doing.

2whitestripes and Captain Morgan like this.
  5. Captain Morgan

Shane Duffy won't be playing tomorrow. He's left Blackburn for Brighton. Hard to see where our goals are going to come from now.

Cottager58 likes this.
  6. Cottager58

The man in the middle today is Scott Duncan

upload_2016-8-27_14-13-25.jpeg

We met up with Mr Duncan twice last season. Our 2-0 defeat at Derby, when he yellow carded Stearman, and our 2-1 win away to Preston, when he yellow carded six players; Cairney, Tunnicliffe and Ince from us.

Last Season he was overall quite modest in his carding with 97 yellows and 4 reds in 37 games.

7. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Team in -

button
    odoi kalas madl sess
    cairney mcdonald parker kebano
    aluko
    smith

8. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Surprised Sigurdsson isn't in the squad, even on the bench. He had been playing for his team in Russia so I don't think fitness would be an issue.

9. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Can't beat a last minute winner!!!

Brilliant from the boys and we go into the international break unbeaten and 2nd in the league.

10. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

11. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

Yessssssssssssss!!!!!!

Cravingawin likes this.
  12. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

What a feeling. I was at Blackburn last year witnessing a terrible performance on a Tuesday night. What a change. So happy !

Cravingawin likes this.
  13. Cottager58

Indeed .. and a clean sheet to boot.

Two tweets from the Club seem to sum up the match:

.... 32' Apologies for lack of tweets. It's not that we have connection issues, there's just not much to report...

.... 90+4' GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLL!!!!! Tom Cairney!!!!!!!

please log in to view this image

14. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

You could see Gentleman Jim's smile at the end.
    Fantastic result, and expectations on the up.
    COYW

GeraScores likes this.
  15. Cottager58

A sneak preview

16. Captain Morgan

I'm back at my in-laws again. It was a frustrating game until Cairney's late winner. We were the better team, but Blackburn always looked like a goal wouldn't necessarily be beyond them. Star man was debutant Kebano. He started on the left, but as far as I can see he's right footed. Fast, skilful and with a trick or two, he looked like the man most likely to make something happen. I was more impressed with Sessegnon defensively than I was against Cardiff, and the two of them combined nicely at times.

The big problem, as against Cardiff, was our players - pretty much all of them - taking too many touches and too much time to get a shot away. That meant we passed the ball across the edge of their box over and over without ever getting anywhere. I felt sorry for Smith: several times he was pointing where he wanted a through ball slipped in, only to see the ball go sideways once again. Both him and Woodrow could easily have had penalties as well. I liked the look of Jozabed. He came on for Parker and looked composed and accurate. He only got 15 minutes, so that's just an initial impression.

We do need a new striker, but a bigger issue is for all of the attacking players to take chances smartly rather than waiting and seeing the opportunity pass by. If we don't sort that, I can't see us maintaining our current league position; if we do, the sky (well, the Premier League) is the limit.

Fulham COYW and Cottager58 like this.
  17. Cottager58

Thanks for the 'at the game' update Captain, especially the insight on the newbies. Two questions if I may,

Q1 You guys in here? (I've got 5p on it!)

Q2 Why is this not a penalty or was there some sort of player position(s) in the run up to the rugby tackle that made it dubious?

18. Captain Morgan

Sorry, Cottager, for some reason I can't see the photos you've attached. I often can't, which is very frustrating. If Q2 referred to the challenge on Woodrow late on, I'm blowed if I can tell you why it wasn't given. There were a few niggly fouls on Smith in the box (again) which Mike Dean would have blown up for as well.

19. Cottager58

Ah, sorry about that - kind of assumed because I can see them that everyone else can as well. The second was indeed about the 'Woodrow penalty'. We're not getting any favours on those so far and it'd be interesting who'll be the designated kicker.

The first was a crowd photo and curious to see if you and the boys were in there. Hopefully this link gives a proper view

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cq4Uw7cXEAAWWnX.jpg

20. Captain Morgan

No problem, Cottager. The link works fine, but we're not in it. We were in the next block to the right of your photo, I think (with a great view for the goal). Sorry if we cost you 5p!