1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

upload_2021-3-7_9-31-27.png

Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City

Competition - Sky Bet Championship
    Date - 9 March 2021
    Kick off - 6:00pm
    Venue - Ewood Park

Following their dramatic late winner against Middlesbrough, next up for Steve Cooper’s Swansea squad is a visit to Lancashire to play the rearranged match against Blackburn.

On Saturday, the Swans climbed to third in the Championship thanks to a dramatic 2-1 victory over Middlesbrough which left Colin fuming.

Andre Ayew scored a stoppage-time penalty for the second time in as many games to secure the win.

He had earlier put Swansea ahead, but Middlesbrough deservedly levelled in the 91st minute through Sam Morsy.

Ayew's spot-kick came in the 97th minute after referee Gavin Ward had initially given a corner.

Ward then changed his mind, possibly on the advice of his assistant, with the officials deeming that George Saville had fouled Jake Bidwell.

The late drama left Warnock raging at the officials as Swansea climbed to within a point of the automatic promotion places with two games in hand.

Warnock was heard referring to Cooper's dad, former top-flight referee Keith, on the touchline during the game and later suggested to the media that Cooper senior could be influencing referees, though he insisted he was joking.

Steve Cooper understandably refused to be drawn into discussing Warnock’s outrageous comments but it will be interesting to see if the FA decide to charge him.

At the same time as the Swans beat Boro, Bradley Dack and Sam Gallagher were on target to halt Blackburn's slide as they beat Millwall to register their first win in eight games.

Dack, one of six changes to Rovers' starting line-up from the defeat at Reading, netted his second goal of the campaign to hand the visitors an 18th-minute lead.

Gallagher sealed the points in fortuitous fashion 15 minutes from time, applying the final touch after Tyrhys Dolan's shot had taken a deflection.

The Swans have played Blackburn on 44 previous occasions, winning 15 drawing 7 and losing 22.

In last season’s corresponding fixture, the teams drew 2-2, with goals from Brewster and Ayew:

The Blackburn penalty equaliser has shades of Naughton last Wednesday - I don’t recall any furore from Sky Sports about that one .....

Turning to Tuesday evening when the Swans have the chance to move into the second automatic promotion spot, I have a concern that the Swans will be tired - their 3rd match since last Wednesday evening - so I think that the Swans will do well to get a point. 1-1 <cheers>

2. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

I think Cooper will finally see us rotate the squad. I can see Bennett back in defence, might see Bidwell back in Manning done nothing wrong just let him have a rest. Decision on who plays in midfield, I see a change here, I’d go with Grimes, Fulton & Smith. Up top I think he will bring back Lowe into the 11, I’d like to see Whitaker get a starting berth.

To me this is a tough one, I’m staying in my optimistic mood and go with a 2-1 Swans win. Happily take a draw so long as it’s not a 97th min penalty equaliser ;)

3. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Will Cooper be prepared to ring the changes ,probably not although its showing that some players need a rest , Lowe although albeit briefly looked much better after coming on yesterday .Will Cooper settle for a draw I don't think so , its a win or nothing , better to have points on the board than games in hand.

4. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

We can't scrape another dubious win (we could I suppose!) so we're going to have to play better. If we're tired and jaded then Coops may end up parking the bus and hope for a clean sheet. Who knows? <laugh> ... 1 - 1.

5. azzuriswan

azzuriswan Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff. Apart from the first half against Brizzle we haven’t been playing well really. Cooper and whatever team he puts out need to give us something to cheer and preferably not a last minute penalty win. At the moment we are in a strong place in the league so let’s not blow it. Another way in this one by two clear goals and a clean sheet for a change.

6. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff I think this may well be a 0-0 but of course we would not be surprised to see Ayew net a 95th minute winner from the spot. So over to you Robert Jones :emoticon-0100-smile

7. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

With a name like Robert Jones, it should be a given, or even better, two penalties in added on time. <laugh>

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  8. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

We have to keep winning - simple as that.
    I'm not really that interested in getting to the PL, but I'd be happy making sure we prevent Brentford from getting there.
    A win, nothing else is good enough.

9. LIBERTARIAN

I'm with you. I can't wait for the PL to implode.
    The old 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Divisions were fine, and a more level playing field all round.
    It's never going to happen however, and whilst I hate it, many here can't wait to get back, so I must go along with them, and bite my own particular bullet.
    The Swans' will go up, if they just keep on winning.

10. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Where has Bennett been, was he injured again. We need him fit for the run in as he organises our back 3 so well. We have missed him

11. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

Taff, (phone did predictive text and came up with Taffeta, lucky I spotted it) your write-up has omitted the most important aspect of the game tomorrow.

We can finally put the January predictions to bed <laugh>.

12. Taffvalerowdy

I’m trying to forget them ..... <laugh><laugh><laugh>

daimungeezer and azzuriswan like this.
  13. azzuriswan

azzuriswan Well-Known Member

We go up to the promised land for a season or two and come back down and do the same again like Norwich do...quids in

14. Taffvalerowdy

15. LIBERTARIAN

" quids in ".

But, it's those nasty Americans who will be " quids in ". You can bet your bottom dollar on that. <laugh>

When Swans are flying likes this.
  16. Taffvalerowdy

.... and the players in the squad

17. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Tbh I see the money as virtually the only advantage of the PL. Let's face it teams like Norwich and Swansea are only going to ever be there to make up the numbers. It's something I'm fairly happy about but mainly because I enjoy these rip roaring Champnship campaigns. See you up there lads.

18. Rhodthesod

Rhodthesod Well-Known Member

In the premier league there are 7/8 teams that are Not going to get relegated Due to their resources, so with three teams going down out of the remaining Twelve you have a one in four chance of going down. I would be happy to be a yo yo club, with clever management we could prolong our stay.

the perfect season would be to have a flying start, stay in both cups until you feel confident of staying up and then focus on the cups. As we did with Laudrup.

Let us worry about that if and when we get there.

19. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

20. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

0-0

Taffvalerowdy likes this.