1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

BLM on shirts.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Alert, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Is it right that a political slogan is on shirts?

We are being asked to stay alert and support the NHS and key workers keep socially distancing while BLM are protesting in the streets!!

2. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

I must admit I saw the pictures of the MAN CITY logo across their shirts and felt it was wrong [ actually made me feel sick ] … "all lives matter" and as the protest scenario unfolds we see more of the political agitation being stirred up by "the present BLM" it is becoming a bemoth of left/right agitators and ne'er do wells intent on putting the wrong attitude toward our history ...likely because they are mostly scroungers from the state?
    I was going to pay to watch all of Cities games and if there is a slogan added to shirts i will not be ...more apt would be kick out racism "a motto" that has been at the forefront of football of the last couple of years … BLM by its tunnel vision has not addressed their own title …

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  3. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of this. Perhaps it's ok for the first round of games as it's so prominent, but no more. I could accept a BLM emblem on the shirt sleeve, but not taking away the player's names.

4. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Here's a good bet...................

please log in to view this image

5. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

No.

As a key worker I don't want people to clap for me I want society to follow equally Covid - 19 guidelines. Black Lives Matter protests do not. Social distancing does not apply to us - We matter more than you. Brazen hypocrisy from those who claim to want a more equal society.

6. johngalleyfan2

that would be a cast iron bet! trouble odds likely to 1000000 to 1 ON ...LOL

7. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Didn’t England get fined by the FIFA for wearing poppies because it was deemed to be ‘political’?

Angelicnumber16 and Redprintt like this.
  8. johngalleyfan2

the whole sane world is afraid of upsetting the apple cart .. it is hypocrisy one law for … and another for … seen it with cummings now you will see it spread quicker than covid -19

9. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

The point really is that racial problems still exist - I do believe that the vast majority of people are not racist, but the problem is still there (look at that Far Right rally in London last week)

The "black lives matter" slogan does not mean that white lives do not matter - surely we are not that thinned skinned to think that??

All lives matter equally - that's what the protest is about

I work for the NHS - for me there is a place for both supporting the NHS and being against racists (it's not one or the other)

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  10. Cliftonville

England. This is the EPL, the governing body is different. The EPL can do different here.

The political point should have been considered. What is BLM? One of their websites declares it has a commitment to"dismantle cisgender privilege" and "disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure". I do not know what that means. The EPL and FA could have stuck with kick it out.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020

11. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Absolutely don't agree with it and whoever has sanctioned this needs to be accountable, as to my mind it's simply likely to cause further unrest, discontent, and division by singling out one element. And moreover when it's this going to be reigned in ?
    And I also hope our players won't be asked to 'take the knee' but they probably will.

12. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Personally, I support the actual SENTIMENT of Black Lives Matter - of course they do - and I am sure that only a tiny extreme minority of people with a twisted racial agenda would disagree.
    However I am extremely uneasy about the BLM organisation itself and its motives. I'm sure that many of their activists simply want to combat racism by peaceful protest - raising awareness amongst a largely non-racist, but ignorant, population, but I'm also convinced that there are many 'members' with anarchaic and violent intentions and just want to use it to destroy our British culture and history wherever it can be found.
    Racism DOES exist and it's a blight on not just British society and culture, but the entire world. However, its important, whilst condemning it, to also recognise the cultural changes that have been happening - particularly in Britain - to reduce prejudice and create the utopian multi-racial society where all people live together in harmony with an equal chance of success in life. As a white, heterosexual male I am perhaps not 100% authorised to judge the situation, but I HAVE been to many places around the world and in my limited experience we in the UK have one of the most multicultural, tolerant societies that I have experienced. If you go to London in particular, you can go into a pub and mingle with all creeds and colours and everyone is just getting on with their lives. It's not perfect, but evolving in the right direction and way ahead of many other nations.
    The recent violence against statues and property - particularly war memorials or the likes of Churchill, carried out in the name of BLM, puts this fragile cultural reform in danger and risks setting race relations in this country back by 50 years or more. We are already seeing violence meted against statues and memorials to black people - undertaken by people (idiots) who, in all probability, had no intention of defacing those objects before the recent BLM attacks on statues gave them the idea.
    Don't think for one minute that I support this 'tit-for-tat' action - I don't. I just see it as a sad, inevitable reaction to the BLM attacks.

That is why I cannot support the wearing of the emblem on football shirts.

13. Angelicnumber16

All really relevant points bcfcredandwhite, most of which I totally agree with
    Like you I've travelled widely and have a lot of experience working with different nationalities and cultures. But I also worked in Easton (Pennywell Road) for nearly 20 years from the late 1970's where the vast majority of the locals were (and still are) black or Asian and we all mingled and got on well in the local pubs and shops, and there was virtually no trouble, ever.
    Modern life and beliefs evolve, and so does the practice of what is thought to be acceptable and what isn't.
    The racist stand up acts of the likes of Jim Davidson and Bernard Manning have long since been taken down and rightly so, as have the outdated racial comedy series like Love Thy Neighbour and Till Death Us Do Part..
    But I think the Government, and particularly the media need to take a firm hand on the current situation and reign it in a bit as it's continual coverage which is going to continue to rake up hate on both sides the more its publicised

14. johngalleyfan2

exactly what I said a few posts ago

I think more people understand what kick it out /kick out racism means ............... BLM original concept has been high jacked .. and turned into something it was intended to be …. people are being sucked into it that are the unpleasant fraternity of our society. THEY thrive on the vandalism and aggression, "being part of a organisation supported by football superstars" gives them a thrill and a false sense they are in the right

Redprintt likes this.
  15. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

this whole thing sickens me; all so shallow and about being seen to do the right thing rather than actually doing something, and they want to ban the singing of sweet chariot at the rugby, but wasn't the song all about deliverance and emancipation from slavery,

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  16. johngalleyfan2

started watching the Norwich game but got really sick of the constant back of the shirt close ups so switched over to border force and the Exmoor walk really enjoyed Julia taking me back to the 70's did the coastal walk to lynton /Lynmouth from porlock left the van [ a j4 van surveyers van ex BT ] AT PORLOCK … MISSED THE BUS ! BY MINUTES walking back along the road over 12 miles /think the walk was about 15 or 16 ! stopped for a pint or 2 at Countisbury … got pity from the locals but fed and watered an hour later started the rest of the walk, an hour or so into it, about half way, only the fourth or fifth vehicle travelling our way stopped … an arm came out the window and waved us on.... jump in it was a couple who had been having a meal in the pub also … when they paid to leave the landlord said "mind you don't knock those hikers down they've goy no lights" it was about 9pm and getting dark … they lived in Minehead …..

17. johngalleyfan2

just been catching up doing surveys and answering Q'S about how they were doing … they all finish with the same sort of ending someone doing something like sitting with laptop or such like all all 3 instances were condescending! that's 5 today …. what are companies so afraid of? next protest their building might be ransacked or burned to the ground?

18. johngalleyfan2

interesting flyover at Burnley last night got far more cover than the game ….. should have been a longer banner with ALM at the end.
    Trump is getting tough ...think we should as well ! [ maybe the world should not bow to a minority! but listen to what they have say ] If a whole nation can stand by and say AUSWITZ MUST STAY AS A LIVING MEMORIAL TO OUR PAST then let that be our guiding light to a better future … embrace history for the good it has brought not the bad thing that happened at that time, we learn from it ……. although there is one continent where atrocities still are almost an everyday facet of life …………………… !!!!!

Redprintt likes this.
  19. Cliftonville

Interesting response.

The football club. "This, in no way, represents what Burnley Football Club stands for and we will work fully with the authorities to identify those responsible and issue lifetime bans".

The Police. " Will be investigating the incident".

Can it be claimed the statement "white lives matter" is racist but the statement "black lives matter" is not? Both are or both are not.

20. Angelicnumber16

Double standards as per usual
    people need to get a grip

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.