1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Booing/ Mocking Our Own Players

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Kifflom!, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

We've all rightly had a go at some of our players this season but I was pretty disappointed to see and hear people around me at the game last night laugh and jeer Gomis when he was caught offside immediately after coming on. This happened a few times afterwards as well. I just wonder how these idiots would have reacted if he'd scored. There were also ironic cheers/ jeers when he wasn't caught offside. I'm not sure if this was picked up by the TV but it was definitely happening. No wonder Gomis walked off quickly at the end - can't blame him.

This is poor stuff, guys - even if Gomis and others deserve it. There's a time and a place to have a go and this forum is one of them but getting on the backs of the team and individual players during a game is not on in my book. Whilst they wear that white shirt the fans should back them to the hilt. Half the ****ers I see at the game are plastics that I never saw on a wet and windy night down the Vetch when we were playing the likes of Torquay or Rochdale and won't be seen for dust if we're relegated so that made me doubly annoyed.

But how do you feel about it? Do you think that as paying customers we have the right to do this or is it ultimately counter-productive?

2. Pricy147

Pricy147 Active Member

yeah heard the jeering; understandable given he had been on all by 10 seconds and got caught off side, and for a second time about 30 seconds later. Was starting to think he was doing it on purpose - even Curtis had a go at him.

At the same time - I do agree that jeering the players is not good - doesn't do their confidence and motivation any good whatsoever.

3. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I don't boo or jeer our players but do yell in frustration sometimes at such as Taylor heading back into our penalty area instead of putting his boot through it but then that's my passion coming out.

4. Terror ball

Terror ball Well-Known Member

Totally counter productive.
    Like you say, forums are the place to vent and criticise...the team needs to feel euphoric at the ground to play their best stuff.
    We should be the wave of sound carrying them.

Personally, once we score, I'd like to hear Hymns & Arias ringing out for at least 5 minutes instead of 1 chorus.
    It makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Must be great to play in.
    You can see them being lifted and begin to play with confidence.

5. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Fully agree lads. I'm all for roasting players on here etc when they deserve it but while they're on the pitch and can hear us, we should do nothing but support them.

6. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. If I'm honest I thought Ki had the worst of it last night. Yes, he was gibbing out of a few tackles/headers but at one point I felt there was a cumulative show of disapproval from the East Stand which is bound to dent his confidence even further.

As for the jeering that Gomis received, that was totally unacceptable and as a supporter I felt embarrassed by our own fans.
    As a Club we're in a desparate fight and the fans have a huge part to play on matchday from now until May.

Jeering/Harassing our own team helps the opposition.

7. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

It has always been there to some degree even when we were in the Championship, but the club didn't handle the season ticket sales correctly post Wembley, and many Plastics got in front of loyal Jack supporters, and that has increased the issue, and not only that but also getting up 10 minutes or even 15 minutes before the game finished, that's something I have noticed this season and last season when I have been at the Liberty.

It's a big shame because it can effect the players, as you all now, I'm very vocal on here with a few of our player (Shelvey, Gomis), but I would never Boo or chant anything at our players while at the Liberty, and it's really disheartening to experience it, but we do have some right chavs amongst us at the Liberty.......<ok>

8. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

Around me, it was more a spontaneous outburst of laughter and incredibility rather than jeering and booing. I think my immediate comment was: "Well that didn't take long, did it". Personally, I have never booed a Swansea City player.

9. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

I agree with most of the comments here. PGF is right to point out that the abuse of Ki was very noticeable and was affecting him the more it went on. Also, he's right to say that booing like that helps the opposition. I hate it.

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  10. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Booing is counter productive , deserved or undeserved .Booing Ki is a crime .Some of the booing during the later stages of Monks rein had a direct effect on the players during home games under Curtis .
    Gomis 's effort the last 5 months is him booing the club and fans imo , it's deafening .