1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Boxing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 17, 2015.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

And again, in the interests of nothing but the pursuit of filthy lucre, another sanctioning body, this time the IBF, has taken a knife to it's own throat. Just 11 days after taking all the belts in the Super Lightweight scene, America's Terence Crawford was stripped of his title for not immediately entering into negotiations with Sergey Lipinets. The result? The fight nobody wants to see. Lipinets v Kondo, a man with a record of 29-6-1, fighting for the IBF strap. I seem to recall Tyson Fury being punished by the IBF for fighting Wladimir Klitschko instead of their preferred opponent Vyacheslav Glazkov. Nothing against Glazkov, but if that's their way of promoting the quality of the sport, then the IBF can get a big, wooley dog up 'em.

2. Cyclonic

Anyone remember this? :emoticon-0165-muscl

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No, I missed it

4. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

So did Thunders opponent <laugh>

5. Cyclonic

Looks like we might be seeing Bellew - Haye again.

Dancingbraveforever likes this.
  6. Cyclonic

The politics of the boxing world can sometimes be full of ****. Look how hard it is to get the heavies together. One of the best things to happen to the sport will get underway this weekend when the World Boxing Super Series kicks off. Eight of the best Cruiserweights in the game will clash in a knockout comp in an effort to sort the men from the .... not men. WBC champ Mairis Briedis, WBA's title holder Yunier Dorticos, IBF's Champ Murat Gassiev, and WBO master Oleksandr Usyk will do battle with three former champions Marco Huck, Dmitry Kudrayshov and Krzysztof Wlodarczyk. The final person on the list is Mike Perez, the Cuban living in Ireland. The ultimate winner will hold all titles as well as the Muhammad Ali Trophy.

The opening fight of the Cruiser series will see the new sensation Oleksandr Usyk take on the Marco Huck. Usyk is the early favourite to take out the series. The big Ukrainian has only had 12 fights but took the WBO belt in his tenth fight. Although he's a bit on the clunky side, he's widely considered the best in the division. Usyk and Huck shirt fronted each other with Huck shoving Usyk. While looking to take it well, on leaving the building, a pissed off Usyk promised to bury Huck. At the moment, Usyk is 1-16 while Huck is 14-1 for their clash. Huck is no easy beat though, he been victorious in 14 world title fights. Hopefully it'll be a feisty, heavy handed affair.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The one on the left looks scared already

Cyclonic likes this.
  8. Cyclonic

That's Huck Ron. I think he has every right to crap himself, he's probably in for a right old flogging. <laugh>

9. Cyclonic

After Manny Pacquiao pulled the plug on the return fight with WBO Welterweight Champion Jeff Horn, the champ's management went looking for Jesse Vargas, but that fight couldn't be made. The latest word on the November 12 fight is that the Englishman Bradley Skeete, ranked 3, may be the next cab off the rank. Skeete has a record of 27-1-0 with 12 KOs and is the reigning British Welterweight Champion. The fight will be in Brisbane. Finger's crossed.

10. Cyclonic

More boxing mumbles about the place, which of course may be taken which a grain of salt. The Daily Telegraph in Australia has said on it's web site that the No 11 ranked WBO contender, and Frank Warren promoted fighter Gary Corcoran of Britain, will be Jeff Horn's challenger for the Welterweight Title. Bradley Skeete, ranked 3 by the WBO and also promoted by Warren, looks like he might be the victim of a nice little duck by Arum and Horn.

On the heavyweight front, tweets between Eddie Hearn and Lucas Browne hinted that the big Australian may just be Dillian Whyte's next opponent. Browne asked where the contract was and Eddie tweeted that he'd sent the paper work to Browne's promoter Ricky Hatton. If it comes off, the fight will probably be on the Joshua - Pulev under card. On a lesser note, two more heavies, Dave Allen and Lenroy Thomas, will be going at it for the second time. What a night that'll be.

Ron likes this.

11. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Saturday, 16 September
    Gennady Golovkin vs. Canelo Álvarez 2017

I cant wait for this one, fireworks. I am going for Alvarez. Golovkin i think is a bit slow footed and could cost him here.

12. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Yes very excited about this one hopefully lives up to expectation aswell. Slightly leaning towards GGG at the moment I don't think Alvarez has the best defence and isn't at his best boxing off the back foot which is what he'll have to do if GGG fights his usual fight

13. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

Same should be a top fight, GGG for me, too much power in his punches.

14. Dancingbraveforever

Dancingbraveforever Well-Known Member

On paper it looks very competitive. But I think we are going to see GGG in ultra beast mode.

I can see him walking through Canelo's punches should they stand and trade.

I'm expecting a TKO in the 8-9 round when Canelo realises he can't hurt him.

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  15. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

I've always been leaning slightly in the favour of Canelo for this mega fight. Take nothing away from GGG he's so powerful, relentless and such an entertaining fighter to watch but there are chinks there too, as with any fighter, it's just he's never faced anyone good enough to fully exploit them. I think Canelo can and I can see him landing a points win.

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  16. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

The worry for Canelo fans is the fact he is going up in weight for the fight as he did fight at welter not long back, GGG looks natural bigger by some way.

17. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Genuine top fight is this, great for boxing.

Alvarez is as strong as an Ox and I don't think Golovkin has anyone on his resume at Canelos level, so this is a big test.

I fancy Canelo to come through it and would not put a late stoppage out of the equation if he can get Golovkin to become a bit desperate/chasing the KO. Hope it's a cracker.

18. Cyclonic

What the hell's going on with Beefy? Is this what he needs to gee himself up for the fight against Willie Monroe Jr. on Saturday? Crazy as a cut snake.

19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Already I don't like him Cyc. When he told the other chap to bring his mother next time I wish he'd have come back in and knocked his block off. What a bastard

Cyclonic likes this.
  20. Cyclonic

The Golovkin - Alvarez should be a cracker. When the fight was first announced, I heavily sided with GGG, but as the clash draws nearer, my fears for the man grow stronger by the day. At 35, I wonder if he's the man he was 2 years ago. The fight against Daniel Jacobs was a hell of an ask for the old bloke. After Jacobs refused the second weigh in and gave up the chance to win the IBF belt, he gave himself a huge weight advantage as they stepped through the ropes. After re-hydration, it's estimated that he had as much as a stone on Golovkin. The fight went the full 12 rounds. Some suggested after the bout that GGG was on the decline. It could be so, who knows? As the great Roman Gonzales sadly found out last week, all good things come to an end. I still think Golovkin can win this thing, but if it goes to the score cards, will the "outsider" get the nod over the guy from across the border? Some pundits are saying that the only way for GGG to win is by KO. I'm not sure I believe that. I still have fear though.

As for Canelo, he's come for war. New trainer, new bulked up body and a gut filled with hunger. Golden Boy have had the habit over the years of keeping their powder dry until they sniff weakness. In the past they've blamed the GGG camp of ducking the fight, but the simple fact that an older and maybe not as good Golovkin is now about to clash with Canelo, says a lot about the buck passing of the past. Make no mistake though, Oscar Del a Hoya knows his stuff. If he thinks that Golovkin is ripe for the picking, he won't be far wrong. Alvarez is his cash cow and he'll take as few risks as possible with him. He's a powerful man who gets his own way most of the time. Even for the contents of the contracts for this fight, Del a Hoya went in boots and all. If GGG wins, Alvarez gets a rematch as soon as he wants it, but if GGG loses, no rematch. Canelo can go on his merry way and fight who ever he wants. And depending on who you read, both fighters are on the same money, or Golovkin is on a a few bucks less. On ppv, Golden Boy get the biggest chunk even though all the belts belong to GGG.

Can Canelo win? **** yeah. He has very fast hands, but probably won't let them go as often as he should. Golovkin will likely throw more leather. Another thing against Alvarez is that he's had to build to Middleweight. He started his career as a Super Lightweight. As far as I can see, GGG has always been a Middleweight. Where I think Canelo has a huge edge, is in the age difference. He's 8 years younger than Golovkin. This could become a major factor. But even here opinions are divided. Some are saying that with the extra muscle Canelo is carrying, he might wilt as the rounds wear on. This I doubt though. I have no doubt that Alvarez is as fit as can be and is intent on destroying Golovkin. For me there is one big question to be asked. Is the old man as good as he has been in the past? We'll soon find out. Either way, I hope the judges don't stuff this, and the best man wins, be it be Alvarez or Golovkin.

smokethedeadbadger and Ron like this.