1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

BREAKING NEWS: EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Apr 18, 2021.

1. RogerisontheHunt

RogerisontheHunt Well-Known Member

Spot on

Plus it punishes alot of people who have no say in the matter.

'Punish the clubs'... but a club is alot more than just the owners and money men. Its the fans, the players, the coaches, those involved in the Youth system and on and on.

I'd like to think that the fans will put up a protest if this does get further down the line.

Bumps and Zanjinho like this.
  2. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Also don’t get me wrong I’m dead against it. Would hate it as I want to watch us play top European sides as a bonus and something special.

3. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Tbf.. we bought into the greed...as a group... why aren't we buying the best players.... why aren't FSG spending money... cake cake cake...

4. moreinjuredthanowen

I don't see how the **** spurs or arsenal are even considered however they have been perennial also rans i nthe CL since the 1990s and are now on the enforced absence through being ****e. Same as ac milan had been. Same as we had been.

They have all been members of the various groups that uefa have not wanted meeting.

the fill list of G14 clubs from 2002 who met to get the eventual 2007 CL expansion were

Spain Real Madrid (Spain)
    Spain Barcelona (Spain)
    England Manchester United (England)
    England Liverpool (England)
    Italy Internazionale (Italy)
    Italy Juventus (Italy)
    Italy Milan (Italy)
    France Marseille (France)
    France Paris Saint-Germain (France)
    Germany Bayern Munich (Germany)
    Germany Borussia Dortmund (Germany)
    Netherlands Ajax (Netherlands)
    Netherlands PSV Eindhoven (Netherlands)
    Portugal Porto (Portugal)
    New members, 2002
    England Arsenal (England)
    Germany Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)
    France Lyon (France)
    Spain Valencia (Spain)

See the interesting situation here. the clubs who were formerly considered big like the dutch or portugese who struggle to keep up with the big money leagues?

It should also be noted than in 2000 this group was formed and guess what? in 2003/4 the CL was changed to its group format with 32 teams to give money tv money and in 2007 plantin called for the g11 to go away and they negotaited getting moeny off fif and uefa for internationls etc.

the group was replace din 2008 by the ECA which was more of a club body with all clubs involved as a voice at the tbale.

we have seen consistent squealing about number of places and UEFa have always blessed this with caving in. or example england was briefly in danger of losing 4 plaots as the coefficient dropped and italy were coming but italy were squealing just as much so he presto all get 4 spots.

5. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

That’s absolute garbage though. JP Morgan are Bank ffs, not a sponsor. They’ve apparently agreed to provide initial funding to the value of, without security? Errrrmm lol.

This league would have to market and sell itself Worldwide, a 12 club league, that’d have to replace in full the value of the 20 club PL, domestic and European cup TV revenues, with a 22 game season.

Diego likes this.
  6. moreinjuredthanowen

In summation my point is greed has long since been there.

1992, 2000, keep on coming in the years. Clubs have tried to force the hand of the organisers using their size and popularity to get more.

This is just another example.

When the premier league tried to squeeze an extra fixture in to travel the globe nobody was interested and the clubs stoked fans to oppose it as their own globe trotting would be interfered with. Lets not think uefa and fifa and the premier league are saints either.

Actually thinking on it <alugh> DEFENDING the CL is ridiculous. it is just the example of prior greed; as is defending the premier league. In fact its rather hypocritical of us to even try.

Lets just say whatever is going on we would perfer games that mean something real. ( my lot trashed your lot and a pint down the local after) the logical end game to all this greed is Liverpool move to a bigger more attractive global city and play from there rather than shivering in the wind off the sea on a gloomy november evening v spartak whoever.

7. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

it would sell world wide. Foreign market is far bigger and you reckon Asian and American markets will buy the rights to the prem to watch Burnley palace and villa or the super league to watch Madrid barca and united?

saintKlopp and Bumps like this.
  8. moreinjuredthanowen

no it wouldn't.

but anyway.

(you are just assuming there's only 12 in it and that its actually the desired outcome)

Bumps likes this.
  9. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

STFU and check the posting times <doh>

10. moreinjuredthanowen

they COULD, but they wouldn't.

Why? cos greed is good. The tories PROTECTIONIST?

there is no means to force pan participate as every one of these clubs have been flogged off to unstable billionaires from round the globe and never once as the UK government stepped in and enforced fan ownership. how much tax was the prem supposed to generate? 3bil or something?

they threatened sure but never followed up and they hadn't a leg to stand on and then promptly forgot about it.

11. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

A 12 club league without relegation would die on its arse imo. As there’d be literally no incentive for any club within it to push their spending, as their place would be safe year after year. It’d be dull, predictable and lacking in a true competitive edge imo.

THE FOOL likes this.
  12. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

You're looking at it from the wrong angle. They're not elite based on recent performance, they (the break away clubs) don't give a **** about that. What they care about is money. To get more money they need the clubs with the best brand, not necessarily best players!

saintKlopp likes this.
  13. RogerisontheHunt

RogerisontheHunt Well-Known Member

Doesn't stop the American sports selling world wide

Bumps and InBiscanWeTrust like this.
  14. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

You'd still watch Liverpool if they joined a European League?

15. moreinjuredthanowen

https://editorial.uefa.com/resource...5dd261-1000/2017_18_uefa_financial_report.pdf

From the total revenue (€2.79bn) UEFA generates from selling broadcasting and commercial rights to partners worldwide for the various club and national team competitions, the lion's share (74%) is distributed to the participating clubs and associations.

so what is 26% of 2.8 bil? 728 million per year for uefa.

Its not really about ever more share imo its about guaranteed money with no other clubs being allowed force them out.

If anything that is an undersold product in the minds of the greedy yanks. the premier league was meant to make 5billion with all things in in 2019.

that tells me that the clubs feel that they could make a better closed product that would sell more tv and clearly they want to stay in the prem as well.

**** the league cup, no revenue. **** the FA cup. two leagues running side by side with LOTSA money.

Zanjinho likes this.
  16. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

It’s all wind and piss, with some bollocks brinksmanship by ****house owners anyway, so it’s a moot point.

But they defo would legislate imo, as you’re massively underestimating how badly this would go down with actual fans of the clubs involved. No genuine football fan wants to lose domestic football, and the pressure for them to act would be massive.

They’ll do anything that’s populist btw, have you been in a coma?

Zanjinho likes this.
  17. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Yeah the World Series is boss, I never miss it.

18. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely! I'm yet to speak to a single person who thinks a breakaway would be a good idea.

I've continuously said if Liverpool departed they can go **** themselves as far as I'm concerned. Whether I actually saw it through in reality is different, it would be very hard to just stop following them after 40yrs!

Bumps and Tobes like this.
  19. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

Football is disappearing up its own greedy @rse. I am definitely NOT in favour of this proposal but I do find it funny that both UEFA and the EPL are shouting foul play, given that they are essentially monopolies and are now threatening all sorts now there’s a bit of competition....they’re all f#cking greedy, crooked C#nts.

20. moreinjuredthanowen

I totally agree but have not even gone near how fans would react as I know and agree with you. I don't think the clubs care and I seriously don't think they think they need to break away.

As for the tories. Populist yes but only for 2 weeks. something else pops up inevitably mean while the himmler like home secretary goes back to targeting minorities.