1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Brian Clough - The greatest England manager that England never had.

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by look_back_in_amber, Apr 12, 2017.

1. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

For those, like myself, that have never seen it I give you a fantastic clip of Cloughie the legend, and to those that make the time to watch it through to the end I will warn you now that you'll shed a tear or two.

Legend is a badge far too easily given out these days, however this great man surely was one.

RIP Brian Clough <rose> <peacedove>

2. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

3. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Yep, I was going to mention that bit of clumsiness in my first post, however I thought that it would have been somewhat petty given the overall quality in the content of the clip.

I did wonder who'd be the first to pick it out though, so congratulations Chazz <ok>

4. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

You could argue that it was, no doubt, intentional.

look_back_in_amber likes this.
  5. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Yes, yes and yes, he took 2 unfashoinable clubs to unknown of heights they have never reclaimed, a brilliant video which encapsulated the time, a toally brillant character and manager. Pisshead he may have been but he wiped the floor with other managers of the day wth the teams that he had, he was exceptional, don't give me the crap about Perter Taylor was the anchor, he was complentary, and he was as useless without Cough as Clough was without Taylor.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  6. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

In the mid 1970s we were changing managers almost on a quarterly basis. Forest weren't much bigger than us, only getting crowds of two or three thousand more. Wonder if he would have come here if approached? And if he had would we have had the same success as Forest did?

7. C'mon ref

A totally unknown factor, but in his day he outshone most managers both in abillity and character, Ramsey I admired but he was a PR nightmare, Don Revie, pass, nothing I can say can cover over the the contempt I had for the way he left his England post after such an illustrious time at Leeds. Bertie Mee, pass, just dull, Bill Shankley, awsome but a Scot so unthinkable in the day, Bob Paisley would have been better, Dave McKay, another Scot, pass, Joe Mercer, good, Ron Greenwood, good, but we are getting away from the Clough era. I concur that Brian Clough should have been given a chance, he may have been crap, as at Leeds, but he should have been given the oppotunity, such is life.

8. Barchullona

Being 16 when England won the World Cup Ramsey will always have a place in my heart.

Once got talking to Clough at a railway station in the middle of nowhere after a City game, He spoke highly of Waggy, saying that when he couldn't get him he signed Francis Lee as he was so like him. May have been a bit tongue in cheek, but you could see the reasoning. Similar stature, build etc. Though Lee was better at "winning" penalties than Waggy. He wasn't known as Lee Won Pen for nothing.

9. C'mon ref

I'm surprised that 'Franny' Lee left such an awesome team at Man City back then, and yes I understand that Cloughie was after Waggy, even to the extent of taking Chris Chilton as well, but it was to our advantage that Waggy stayed, although Chris went off to Coventry in later years.

10. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

He was only half the manager without Peter Taylor though...

Taylor's skill was scouting and identifying the right players, Clough's skills were in the coaching and man management, together they were an unbeatable partnership that should've worked for the England National Team.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017

11. Barchullona

Revie was keen to get Chilton about the time he signed Mick Jones.

12. C'mon ref

I always thought that Mick Jones was a great player but really just cannon fodder to the advantage of Allan Clark.

13. Barchullona

I lived in Leeds in those days and saw them a few times when City weren't playing at home and I couldn't get to the away game. Jones and Clark were a good partnership, like Waggy and Chillo. Used to go in a bar in Leeds quite a few of the Leeds player's and staff went in. Les Cockermouth and Syd Owen were willing to chat to anyone about football. I remember once, when someone said what a good goal Clark had got Syd Owen moved a load of beer mats and ashtrays about to demonstrate how Jones has drawn a defender, that gave Clark space, another defender marked him, Jones moved again and nodded it down to Clark who turned and put it in. The way he described it was just a case of putting something into practice they had worked on and it was routine for Clark to have scored. In fact it would have been harder not to. Interestingly someone asked Les Cocker what he thought and he hadn't seen it. He had been instructed to monitor what another player was doing, Interesting to get a glimpse of what went on.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  14. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Anyone know Cloughs record with Derby and Forest when playing City ?
    From memory I always thought he struggled to beat us.
    Remember a 3-1 defeat at Derby about 69/70 in the League Cup when Derby were in Div 1 and a 4-1 defeat at Forest in 74. Not sure if Cough was still there then.
    Clough could have worked the same magic with us but the only move our owners did was take a private box at Forest (Hoveringham Gravels) to watch Forest reach the heights they couldn't achieve with their own club.

15. Barchullona

We drew 2-2 at Derby and won 1-0 at BP the season Derby went up. Must have been a lot of Derby fans or City fans wanting to see Derby for a night match as the previous home game against Bolton there were only 13,000 there but 24,000 against Derby then back down to 21,000 against Huddersfield.
    Strangely, there was only 6 weeks between the away and home games.Don't think Clough was in charge for the 4-0 away defeat but he maybe was when they beat us 3-1 at BP that season. The next season when Clough was definitely in charge we beat them home and away.The season they got promoted we beat them at BP in Bremner's debut game and lost the away game.

16. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

"The ideal board of football directors is three, two dead and one dying."
    Brian Howard Clough, OBE. Obviously a man ahead of his time.

The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily mine.

17. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

He was obviously a fan of Len Shackleton who had a similar view on football directors.

18. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this l_b_i_a. Both entertaining and moving at the same time.<cheers>

19. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

Unlike those two, but like the crip in orthopaedic shoes, I stand corrected. It's good to learn something new.

20. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member