1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Brian Thompson

Discussion in 'Oxford Utd' started by SuffolkRoyal, May 20, 2013.

1. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Reading fan in peace (yes, there are a few of us)

Are there any older fans on here who remember a player by the name of Brian Thompson? He played for Oxford in the late 60's, early 70's.

I know he went to Torquay on loan and I did hear he got a bad injury which finished his playing career. I believe stayed in the game as a physio, but not sure where he ended up.

2. Richmondoufc

Richmondoufc Member

Sorry Suffolk Royal, I'm afraid this is a bit before my time.

3. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

That okay mate, thanks for replying. I just thought that if there were a few older Oxford fans, from the Manor ground days, they might have seen him play.

The reason I enquired is that I did an electrical apprenticeship with the old SEB between 1968 and 1972. It was a block release course which meant that most of us apprentices had to be lodged with local residents. My home, for most of the four years, was with a lady on the Barton East estate. Brian, when he first arrived at Oxford, lodged at the same place. As you can imagine for me, being a young 17/18 year old at the time, it was quite something to be living in the same house as a professional footballer.

Our paths didn't cross all that much but sometimes we'd sit and watch a game on the telly. Especially when the old home internationals were on. One or two of his team mates sometimes came up for them, John Shuker I believe was one of them because he lived on the same estate.

Anyway, if any of your fans remember him, and they visit this site, perhaps they'll reply.

Cheers.