1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Brighton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 28, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Brighton v Leeds Utd
    Saturday 1st May @ 15:00 | Amex Stadium

Leeds travel down to the South Coast this weekend, keen to take revenge on a Brighton team fighting to avoid relegation

When the teams last met in January, the two sides were separated by a rare Neal Maupay tap in. Leeds will be keen to make amends and stretch their unbeaten run to seven games, cementing their top half aspirations in the process.

After losing to basement club Sheffield Utd at the weekend, Seagulls Manager Graham Potter is conscious that his team are not yet safe from relegation although seven points clear of the Cottagers. Speaking after the Saturdays loss, Potter said:-

“It doesn’t feel comfortable to me because we need more points, it’s as simple as that. And we want to try to get more points. “If we had won (at Sheffield United) then of course we look like accumulating quite a decent total, but now we just focus on Saturday.“It’s not enough because there’s a lot of points to play for. We have to just focus on one game at a time.

Every opponent is fighting for something. "We are at that stage of the season where everyone is fighting for something, even if it is pride like Sheffield United. “I think all the games we have to play we can be competitive in, and we have proved that, and we have got a chance to get points in all of those games – but equally we could lose.”

Having drawn against Liverpool and Manchester Utd, and beaten Manchester City at the Etihad, Marcelo Bielsa is unlikely to make any changes to his starting lineup unless Raphinha is fit to replace Costa on the right wing. Cooper serves his third of a three match ban following his sending off against Manchester City earlier this month. Rodrigo remains a doubt having not trained all week.

Ben White returns to Elland Road for the first time since rejoining his parent club, and is expected to form a three man central defence to keep the Whites at bay!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  2. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Not expecting many goals in this one. Hopefully we nick it. There is no real pressure on us, so just go out and play. Would like to see some of the younger players from the u23s get a run.<ok>

ristac and Doc like this.
  3. Old Git

Old Git Well-Known Member

Ben White returns to Elland Road for the first time since rejoining his parent club

He's not playing then.

4. Irishshako

<laugh>

5. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Hope to see Raphinha return for this, we need to be more of a threat going forward.

bucks_is_leeds and Irishshako like this.
  6. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0140-rofl:

Irishshako likes this.
  7. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

I have nothing against Brighton as a club.
    but their fans wel that's a different matter. I was reading their forums before the start of the season about(Ben White) my god so full of themselves.
    Anyways back to the game regardless of where they are in the League they are always a hard team to break down.
    Get in front though and you generally beat them.
    Gagging for the 3pts though just to shut their fans up also praying Fulham win just to getting them Brighton fans crapping themselves.
    Hope Raph comes back. we have missed him. he could be the difference in opening them up.
    Hoping we can now go out unbeaten to the end of the season.
    That would be a perfect way to end the season 11 unbeaten.

8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I am hoping to see us smash BHA and I further hope to see them relegated. I remember when Stoke thought they should now be playing in Europe and their football was crap because of Tony Pullis. They forget where they came from and how Pullis got them promoted and kept them up year after year. Look at them now relegated and struggling and how many managers since Pullis?

well Chris Houghton worked miracles on lowly Brighton without a budget and got them promoted twice and kept them up and improved the league position year on year. But as usual these fans thought they should be higher up the table and desired better football. Well lower league positions than Houghton and in danger of dropping. Well done Brighton

9. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Unlikely to happen. Bielsa has already said he won’t pick players just because they’re young. He said that they have to prove they deserve to be ahead of those that have played more regularly. That was my point on another thread that Bielsa seems to have a definite pecking order.

Irishshako likes this.
  10. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Brighton are a much better side than their league position. On xg they should be fifth apparently. They just don’t take their chances.

We couldn’t get going against them at Elland road. This will be a tough game. Sod’s law that the one time (or should that be 2 times) they take their chances is against us.

11. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

What a strange time for a match to be played. 3 o'clock on a Saturday, what's that all about?

Wish they'd stop messing with tradition ffs <doh>

ristac, Gessa, esteponawhite and 3 others like this.
  12. Irishshako

I know, it was just a thought.:)

Leedsoflondon likes this.
  13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Yet if they had accepted our £30m they could have bought one top end striker or even two. Sorry but I hope they drop and good footballing sides do get relegated and all because they dont score enough goals. Under Houghton they had a 20 goals per season striker but Potter has got rid and replaced withan injury prone superstar and some low grade wanabees

Irishshako likes this.
  14. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to know which 20 goals a season striker they got rid. In the year they got promoted from the Championship Knockaert was their top goalscorer with 15 goals, and in the last 5 seasons he's managed 5 goals playing at Championship level.

Glenn Murray has been their top goal scorer since then scoring 13 goals in one season, season before that he scored 12, but given that he was 35 when they let him leave, I think that's understandable, even if the replacement in Maupay hasnt scored as many.

I get you like Chris Houghton, and can understand that you are not keen on Potter and Brighton, where as I rate Potter, but it would be nice if you give some evidence when you make these sweeping statements., and if I have missed something obvious in the 5 minutes it took me to find out the information I did, then I will gladly apologise

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Yeah Murray has scored over 250 goals for BHA so made the wrong assumption, but his record is great and even at Palace he scored shed loads, but forgetting his age he has been more reliable than anyone Potter brought in and he is great at leading the line. Houghton has now got him at Forest but he was ignored at BHA from 2019 as Potter thought he could do better but he hasnt :emoticon-0148-yes:

leeds down south and Aski like this.
  16. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

However Murray has scored 3 goals in the last two seasons, so not as if he would have made that much of a difference. We could easily continue to disagree on how well Potter has or hasn't done, at the end of the day it's nothing to do with us, if the Brighton board aren't happy they will get rid

FORZA LEEDS and Doc like this.
  17. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

I like the thought of it too <ok>

Irishshako likes this.
  18. Irishshako

<laugh>

19. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Sorry Doc, Murray has only scored 217 goals in his whole career, 111 of those for Brighton, of which over half of those were between the ages of 24-28 when Brighton were in League One.

However I do also have to admit that I was wrong when I said Knockaert was top scorer when Brighton got promoted from the Championship.

Murray did actually score 23 goals that season. I missed it because for the first half of the season he was only on loan to Brighton, then he signed in January, so the stats I looked at, showed that season as two separate spells

20. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

I don’t give a hoot if Brighton get relegated. If I had a leaning it would be I’d like them to go down because I think they’re a better side than those around them... the weaker the division next season the better for us.

I certainly don’t care that they turned down our bids for white. We don’t have a god given right to sign other clubs players. The jury may be out with Koch, but llorente looks a great signing for less money.

I like Hughton as a manager... done a good job everywhere and then (unfairly) moved on by sides who thought they could do better.

But I have no beef with potter... in fact I like the rags to riches backstory.

glen murray was a 1 in 4 striker in the premier league, not shocking but not going to springboard you to greatness. ... and he was 35 when he was moved on.

leeds down south likes this.