1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Brighton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 28, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Quite simply Brighton's tactics were superior to ours.

* They cut off the supply route to Bamford
    * We were not able to attack in numbers
    * Brighton controlled the middle of the park

Saying that, if we hadn't conceded the penalty, it would have been a goalless draw.

Klich has burnt himself out. He should have been rested far far earlier. He can run all day but his aerobic energy (short sprints / quick change of pace) isn't there.

Makemstine Roger and Whitejock like this.
  2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Brighton used three CBs all big units and also used to DMs all to counter everything to do with Leeds supply line. It worked and BHA have beaten us twice and struggled at the bottom of the season all season. Everyone else fancied themselves against us but BHA did a real job on us and made us look crap. Thats 3 clubs who beat us twice this season so look at common denominator

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  3. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

After a day to reflect. A very bad day at the office but a season beyond expectation. Agree that we’ve been loyal to the squad that got us promoted. Team spirit and quality coaching of the players paid off and carried the euphoria of promotion into performances above levels expected so safety assured well before the season end. But, that can only take you so far and without better quality it’s a big ask to get that out of these players again next year. An upgrade needed to avoid being next season’s Sheffield United.

4. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Largely agree, possibly apart from Klich, who I'm not sure about. I believe he's carrying an injury, which Bielsa brought to our attention some time ago. I'm guessing he's still suffering, as he's not improved since that announcement. I wonder if he's simply been kept in cotton wool until he can get an op in the summer break. If not, then perhaps you're right - he has to go.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  5. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This is what confuses me... Rodrigo is fit, injury free but Bielsa insists it doesn’t mean he is ‘Match Fit’. We see it time and time again with Bielsa, players coming back from injury need to prove themselves all over again.

I can’t believe Bielsa would even entertain Klich on the bench if he wasn’t 100%? Our style of play relies on fitness and man to man, why would Bielsa risk the system breaking down if we had someone carrying an injury?

I could be wrong but I feel a few of us don’t wish to accept that maybe Klich isn’t good enough for PL football so we’re making excuses for him? Maybe the third season of Bielsaball is too much for him and he’s lost his mojo?

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Alioski three successful tackles/ground duels out of 9 attempted. He also lost the ball 10 times, that’s more than any other player who played the full 90 you can’t do that in the PL and another scratch my head moment why the makeshift LB has continued there all season.

7. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

It could be more to do with Rodrigos attitude. Maybe he doesn't want to be here. Injuries aside, I think he's been a waste of money.<ok>

Whitejock and ristac like this.
  8. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If he has any kind of attitude with Bielsa we need to cut our losses and see what we can get back for him otherwise he really needs a solid preseason and a good run of games. Surely now is a great time for him to be getting a run in the team?

I know we get £3m for every position but is that our aim? The club budgeted for 17th so we’ve exceeded that. We might go and blow another £28m on someone simply not good enough when we could play Summerville, Gelhardt and Greenwood and realise we have a gem and that money doesn’t need wasting.

On Saturday we continue to use Pablo and Alioski, they’re off at the end of the season, why waste time with them?

9. Irishshako

I don't know is my answer. We all have different opinions regarding the team and tactics. I'll leave it to Bielsa because he's done well so far. I take your point regarding Pablo and Alioski, maybe he doesn't trust the younger players yet. Regarding Brighton, they are just one of those sides that we seem to struggle against. I would have thought we could have got at their lanky back four with our smaller tricky players like Poveda. But it wasn't to be. Also on the Bamford front, I hope he doesn't think the seasons over, if he does I'd bench him. I didn't realise Bamford had been subbed he was that anonymous.<ok>

Whitejock, ristac, OLOF and 1 other person like this.
  10. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

I personally think Bamford is exhausted, the previous 4 games, he was knackered by the 70th minute, unfortunately we don't have anyone that does what he does to be able to start a game

Irishshako likes this.

11. Irishshako

We've 8 less games to play in though. <ok>

12. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

True but with no rest bite as such between seasons, plus the pace in the PL is so much faster than the Championship, combine those two with the work he puts in and it has to take it's toll sometime

ristac and Irishshako like this.
  13. Irishshako

I would have thought the Championship was more physically draining than the Premier. I don't feel any sympathy for the modern day player (they have enough rest time) so we will have agree to disagree on this one Gessa..<ok>

Whitejock, ristac and Gessa like this.
  14. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Pitches usually better, no midweek games unless you’re in Europe, Klich looks knackered and he’s had plenty of rest. Nobody runs more than Dallas and he’s hardly ever missed a minute.

Whitejock and Irishshako like this.
  15. Irishshako

That's what I thought Ristac, we are also one of, if not the fittest sides.<ok>

Whitejock and ristac like this.