1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Brighton's Elliott Bennett completes move to Norwich

Discussion in 'Brighton' started by Not606 News Team, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

Brighton midfielder Elliott Bennett has finally completed his transfer to Premier League new-boys Norwich City for an undisclosed fee.

The protracted deal had been ongoing since the Canaries had a bid for Bennett turned down in the January transfer window. The 22-year-old handed in a transfer request as a result, but has now moved to Carrow Road on a three-year deal.

Following his move, Bennett said: "It's an unbelievable opportunity for me to fight for a place in a team which will be playing in the Premier League.

"I like the mentality at Norwich City that has seen them get back-to-back promotions and I'm grateful to Paul Lambert for giving me the chance to be part of what's happening at the club.

"I didn't make it through at Wolves, which was my home-town club, and Brighton gave me the opportunity and I'm grateful for that.

"Now I'm just really excited about the chance to try to help Norwich in the Premier League."

Albion did not want to part company with their winger, but manager Gus Poyet said he could not block another move.

He told seagulls.co.uk: "I thank Elliott for the way he has approached the situation. He had a great opportunity to leave in January.

"He understood how important he was to us and he agreed to stay another six months to help us get out of League One, but now it's impossible for him to turn down because of the offer and the level he is going to play. On behalf of everyone at the club I wish him well in the Premier League.

"When I came to the club he was seen as just a right winger, but he's also been very impressive playing behind the strikers, playing the shape we played away from home and also in a disciplined role when we were chasing games.

"I always say the best way is for everyone to get better together and that's the perfect situation, but sometimes a player develops quicker. When that happens it's difficult to keep them because we can't compete with the opportunities and salaries in the Premier League."

Bennett had become one of the first names on the Albion teamsheet since signing from hometown club Wolverhampton Wanderers in 2009. He bagged 17 goals from 100 appearances for the club.

2. Sergei Gotsmanov

Didn't see that one coming!

Good luck Benno....did well for us....lets just hope you can make the step up.

3. mjw6150

mjw6150 Member

What is he like as a player?

4. borntobebhafc

borntobebhafc Member

different class, got your self a good player there

5. WWOCB

WWOCB Active Member

Was very surprised by this, any idea how much the 'undisclosed offer' was? Seem's to me like Brighton are losing a fair few decent players. Are there plans to bring new ones in?

6. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

£1.5 mil raising to £2mil with add-ons is the rumoured fee, signed a decent player in his place aswell in will buckley not a bad way to spend the money i must say...

7. Sergei Gotsmanov

We've only lost 2 players and both have been replaced by players of equal standard if not better.

After breaking our transfer record for Buckley Gus has said we are certain to do it again. Watch this space. Gonna be an interesting summer for Albion fans.

As for Bennett...a v.good league one player...unproven at champ level let alone prem. Time will tell but it's a massive step up and a gamble by the Canaries.

8. Sergei Gotsmanov

A league one level yes...at prem level?????

9. BraggFan

BraggFan New Member

Bennett was a quality player for us, and importantly for Norwich he had a good temprament and didn't sulk when he didn't get his move in January. Yes he is unproven in the premiership but he's young, talented and full of confidence, and going to a team where he'll get fair chance play and grow as a player. I think Norwich have got an excellent signing.

It's worth pointing out now that if he'd stayed with us, our fans would be focusing on his potential not whether he's proven or not.

10. Sergei Gotsmanov

I don't know what you could possibly mean. I'm not at all bitter that our best player has left ;)