1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bristol City v Cardiff City

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jul 2, 2020.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City v Cardiff City

please log in to view this image

Severnside derby, I thought I would put this up to encourage some cross border conversation.,

Cardiff are in great form having climbed into the top six and looking very strong under their new manager Neil Harris, meanwhile we have had a derisory period - Last 9 Games Goals For ~ 8, Goals Against ~ 16, Won ~ 1, Drawn ~ 2, Lost ~ 6, Points Won ~ 5, Points Lost ~ 22, our manager Lee Johnson is now one of the longst serving managers in the Championship.

So it's the tale of 2 Cities, 6th v 12th, experience v new, this is a vital game for both teams for different reasons, so let's hope for a good match and may the best team win.

Now on with the chat Lee Tomlin ~
    Cardiff City legend tells Neil Harris that former Bristol City playmaker must return to sink the Robins
    Nathan Blake has urged the Bluebirds boss to start the maverick midfielder against the Robins
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-legend-tells-neil-4284793

Williams set to miss Severnside Derby

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/ashley-williams-miss-cardiff-city-4283808

Leeds United champions, Bristol City play-off hopes over in latest Championship prediction
    The latest round of fixtures has thrown up a final Championship table which Robins fans will not like to see
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport...s/leeds-united-champions-bristol-city-4284246

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Another loss I’m afraid and it has to be his last
    All sorts of stories flying around.
    One thing SL is a very very loyal Employer.
    But can’t see him putting up with dross served up week in week out over the last couple of years.

3. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I may be out of kilter here but I don't believe there is a chance of LJ going, I would personally celebrate it but it's not SL's way, out of interest what are these stories flying around, I've not heard a genuine comment eminating out of the Gate.

4. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Facebook, it’s a source of all accurate information, no one lies or makes anything up.
    I’m in agreement with you. I can’t see SL acting to minimum summer break. However with this one being a very short one pushes decisions back to end of next season unless relegation on cards. I may be wrong but that is my feeling on the matter.

5. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Since the restart and with a fully fit squad I thought City would win or at least not lose the first 3 games.
    So it's good news for LJ - I think Cardiff will win tomorrow.

6. Red Robin

Me too,never expected the results and performances we have seen.
    :emoticon-0129-call::emoticon-0129-call::emoticon-0129-call:

7. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I thought we would draw at Blackburn, beat Sheff Weds and lose at Forest.
    Surely nobody thought we would win all
    3?

8. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I really thought with our injury demons slain, this restarted 'mini-season' would be the best timing ever for a promotion push. Sadly it was not to be.
    By some accounts, the performance at Forest was better, so maybe we are turning the corner? Who knows. There have been some strange results in this league since the restart - not just us.
    As for LJ; I won't celebrate in the unlikely event he's sacked. I can't celebrate failure. He had/has big dreams for us and I sincerely believe that he loves Bristol City. It might well be the right thing to do for our club, but I would feel no joy from it. Excitement possibly - even a bit of concern about who would replace him (the last time we parted company with a manager whilst sitting mid-table it heralded the start of a dismal, horrible few seasons capped by a spell in League 1), but not joy.

9. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

'A derby with a difference'
    Here’s what Cardiff City manager Neil Harris has had to say about tomorrow’s game

It will be a derby with a difference. For me, the fanbase make derby games.

Of course, there’s rivalry between football clubs and wanting to be bigger and better than your neighbour down the road and across the water.

The rivalry on the terraces and, these days, on social media makes these games though.

Do the players understand the importance of it? Of course they do. It will be echoed to them again, as it already has been by me.

I know the importance of the game, not just for the fans, but also for the league table.

How Cardiff could line up
    According to our colleagues at Wales Online, this should be the Bluebirds line-up for tomorrow.

(4-2-3-1): Alex Smithies; Dion Sanderson, Sean Morrison, Curtis Nelson, Joe Bennett; Will Vaulks, Joe Ralls; Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Lee Tonmlin, Josh Murphy; Callum Paterson

10. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

So potentially only one of the many ex-BCFC players currently at Cardiff.

11. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Especially when you said we would be unstoppable once Afobe was back!!

Supcon72 likes this.
  12. Redprintt

TBF 1 For, I'm not sure he's fully up to match fitness or playing in the best set up.
    I think Afobe, on his pre injury form was/is a great signing.

Again TBF to LJ, I'm not sure he would have signed Wells if Afobe had stayed injury free.
    From afar, so be gentle with me I think it may be a while, if ever, Afobe and Wells can play in the same 11.

13. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I might be oversimplifying things, but both Afobe and Wells have shown they can score goals. Afobe may be lacking sharpness due to his long spell out with injury as Redprintt says, but Wells was banging them in for an otherwise poor QPR side - until we got him, then his goals dried up.
    Our strikers aren’t being fed. That seems to me to be the elephant in the room.
    Before his injury, Afobe fed off Palmer in what looked like a match made in heaven. Since then, Palmer has hardly featured. We have Eliasson who is one of the top assists in the league - his crosses are mostly on the money (albeit he has been off colour of late). IMHO both these players need to start - to feed Afobe and Wells. Shape the team around those 4.
    Like I said; I may be oversimplifying things but that is how I see it.

14. Red Robin

Yep humble pie time-but i blame the coach over this-square pegs in round holes crazy.

15. Redprintt

Afobe and Wells are out and out strikers, scoring is all they care about.
    Strikers don't pass even the other is in a better position.
    For me from afar it looks to be Fammy and one of the other two.

16. oneforthebristolcity

I was winding RR up to be fair as he does like going overboard with some of his statements...:emoticon-0127-lipss.................surely not! <laugh>
    I agree, it takes time for players to form partnerships, knowing what the other is going to do..

17. oneforthebristolcity

Not trying to convince you either way, but I do believe, if given a chance with LJ, we will be a much better outfit next season

18. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

I like Afobe but it’s obviously not helping with LJ persisting on playing him left wing ffs, the guy is a class centre forward who can score goals and create opportunities by himself, LJ is an idiot playing one of our better players out of position, he’s useless out there and will continue to be so every time he is played in this way.

19. Red Robin

Spot on Tom-WE SEE IT BUT THE CLUELESS ONE DON'T

20. Red Robin

Not a chance in hell-he has lost it and he knows it.