1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bristol City v Norwich City

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Jan 13, 2018.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Jan 14, 2018.
  1. Robins Win

40.0%
  2. Canaries Win

30.0%
  3. Stalemate

30.0%
  1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 27

Bristol City 0 – 0 Norwich City
    FT
    HT 0 – 0​

Attendance: 00,000

Date: Saturday 13th January 2018
    Venue: Ashton Gate Stadium
    Kick-Off: 03:00PM

Referee: Simon Hooper
    Assistant Referees: Adam Crysell & Akil Howson
    Fourth Official: Gavin Ward

KIO’s not606 Match Preview

After a hard fought and deserved draw last time out against Premier League Champions Chelsea in the FA Cup, it’s a return to league action this afternoon for Daniel Farke’s Norwich City side as they make the long trek across country to take on high flying Bristol City. Undefeated in their last four Norwich will do well to extend that run against the Robins who sit fourth in the table just two points behind second placed Derby County.

Highlights from City's FA Cup 3rd Round tie against the Blues

The Canaries will be without Alex Pritchard after his big money move to Huddersfield Town and also wing man Yanic Wildschut who has moved to Cardiff on loan until the end of the season. Midfielder Tom Trybull is struggling to overcome a back problem and will not feature, however Harrison Reed and Marco Stiepermann could return.

Tom Trybull who is struggling with a back problem and will not feature

Despite their lofty league position Bristol have lost their last four in all competitions, the last being a Carabao Cup semi-final 1st leg tie against Premier League Big Guns Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium. In truth they were unlucky not to come away with at least a share of the spoils, one-nil to the good as the game entered it’s latter stages it looked as if the Robins were going to cause a major upset but it was not to be as the home side netted twice late on to secure the advantage going into the second leg.

Bristol's Bailey Wright tries to prevent Leroy Sane getting in a shot at the Etihad

The Robins’ last league outing was an away fixture at a resurgent Aston Villa where they were well and truly put to the sword by the Villains, the home side thumping their visitors by 5 goals to nil. This came on the back of another disappointing result for the West Country side, a 2-1defeat at the Ashton Gate Stadium against table toppers Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    In team news for Bristol Famara Diedhiou is still out with a knee injury sustained at the end of October, while new signing Liam Walsh could feature after making his debut as a substitute at the Ethiad midweek.

BBC Sport Match Preview Here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42587432

• Bristol City are winless in five previous league matches against Norwich (D2 L3), since a 2-1 win in February 2009 in which Lee Johnson featured for the Robins.
    • The Canaries have won two of their last nine league visits to Ashton Gate (D2 L5), most recently winning 3-0 in October 2010.
    • Jamie Paterson has had a hand in 12 goals in his last 15 home Championship games (seven goals, five assists).
    • Norwich haven't kept clean sheets in three consecutive away league matches since October 2010, with one of those clean sheets coming at Ashton Gate.
    • Bristol City were defeated 5-0 in their last match away at Aston Villa - since Lee Johnson took charge of his first match in March 2013, only two managers have lost more Football League matches by five or more goals than Johnson (3) - David Flitcroft (4) and Steve Davis (5).
    • James Maddison has been involved in six goals in his last seven Championship starts (three goals, three assists).

Lee Johnson’s Match Preview

Lee Johnson

NO MANAGER'S MATCH PREVIEW AVAILABLE

Daniel Farke’s Match Preview

Daniel Farke Previews today's game

“We felt really good after Chelsea, but it’s been a hard week with injury problems and the selling of Alex, but our focus is to go to Bristol and win points. I really trust my lads and we know we can be competitive and to have a fifth unbeaten game in a row.”
    “The game against Manchester City could help us, but it’s speculating. Sometimes you can get a lot of self-confidence from that kind of game, but there is also a lot of pressure on them because their recent results in the league haven’t been so good."

“They’re 100% one of the teams of the season so far, but they’ll want to get points on the board to turn their form around. We’ll be going there to put in a good performance and to try to win the game.”

Grant Hanley gives his thoughts
    Current Form (Last 6 Competitive Fixtures – Most Recent First)

Bristol City

LLLLWD

09/01/2018 EFL Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg
    1-2 v Manchester City (a)
    06/01/2018 The FA Cup Third Round
    0 - 3 v Watford (a)
    01/01/2018 Sky Bet Championship
    0 - 5 v Aston Villa (a)
    30/12/2017 Sky Bet Championship
    1 - 2 v Wolverhampton Wanderers (h)
    26/12/2017 Sky Bet Championship
    2 - 0 v Reading (h)
    23/12/2017 Sky Bet Championship
    1 - 1 v Queens Park Rangers (a)

Norwich City

DWDWLL

06/01/2018 The FA Cup Third Round
    0 - 0 v Chelsea (h)
    01/01/2018 Sky Bet Championship
    2 - 1 v Millwall (h)
    30/12/2017 Sky Bet Championship
    0 - 0 v Burton Albion (a)
    26/12/2017 Sky Bet Championship
    2 - 0 v Birmingham City (a)
    22/12/2017 Sky Bet Championship
    1 - 2 v Brentford (h)
    16/12/2017 Sky Bet Championship
    0 - 1 v Leeds United (a)

Match History

In total there have been 69 competitive meetings between the two sides with the Canaries having the upper hand. Norwich have 32 wins, Bristol 20 with 17 drawn games.

Norwich's biggest victory in this fixture is by 7 goals to 2 which was on 28th August 1933 in League Division Three (South) at the Nest, this is also the highest aggregate score between the two.

Bristol's best is a 6-0 mauling of their visitors at Ashton Gate on 11th October 1947 also in League Division Three (South).

The Canaries also put 6 past the Robins on 15th January 1949 at Ashton Gate in the same competition, the match finishing 6-1.

Norwich managed another significant away victory on 16th February 1952 winning 5-2 once again in a third tier fixture.

League Games (65)

Bristol City Wins: 17
    Norwich City Wins: 31
    Draws: 17

FA Cup Ties (3)

Bristol City Wins: 2
    Norwich City Wins: 1
    Draws: 0

Football League Cup Ties (0)

Bristol City Wins: 0
    Norwich City Wins: 0

Anglo-Scottish Cup Ties (1)

Bristol City Wins: 1
    Norwich City Wins: 0

Highest Bristol City Score

Bristol City 6 Norwich City 0

Highest Norwich City Score

Norwich City 7 Bristol City 2

Highest Aggregate (9)

Norwich City 7 Bristol City 2

Club Connections

Those to have pulled on both the Red and Yellow jerseys include:

Ade Akinbiyi, Matthew Bates (Norwich loan), Elliott Bennett (Bristol City loan), Jim Brennan, Paul Cheesley, Louie Donowa, Robert Fleck (Bristol City loan), Leroy Lita (Norwich loan), Rob Newman, Gary O’Neill, Alex Pearce (Norwich loan), Mark Robins (Bristol City loan), Joe Royle, John Ruddy (Bristol City loan), Korey Smith, Sam Vokes (Bristol City & Norwich loan) and Aaron Wilbraham.

Paul Cheesely celebrates scoring for the Robins at Highbury against Arsenal

Joe Royle with the Barry Butler Player of The Season Memorial Trophy in 1980

Did You Know ?

• In season 2014-15 Bristol City became the first team to win the third tier Championship and the Football League Trophy in the same season.

• Despite being an English club Bristol City competed in and won the Welsh Cup in 1934.

• In 1906-07 Bristol City finished runners-up in League Division One which is their highest ever league position.

• The Robins one and only FA Cup Final appearance was in 1909 when they lost 1-0 to Manchester United at Crystal Palace, this was also United’s first Cup Final win.

• In 1978 Bristol City won the now defunct Anglo-Scottish Cup beating St Mirren 3-2 on aggregate in the final.

• Bristol City have never played in The Premier League

TEAM LINE UPS

Listen to full match commentary on BBC Radio Norfolk
    95.1 / 104.4FM, 855kHz & DAB Digital Radio

With Chris Goreham

And Guest Match Summariser Mark Walton

….. and don’t forget to tune into #CanaryCall post match with Mark and Rob Butler

OTBC

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Brilliant work KIO, you really have a talent for these match day threads. I've gone for my usual Canaries win, I just can't vote against them <cheers>

KIO likes this.
  3. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

9/10 as good as ours Norwich has one of the top boards like ours! Burton well!

KIO likes this.
  4. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Would have been better mate had I found some pre match thoughts from your manager, but despite trawling the internet I couldn’t find a single quote from him let alone a video of his press conference. Does he not do these?

5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Good to see your 'stellar' MDTs are back KIO and I fancy us sneaking a 2-1 win. <ok>

KIO likes this.
  6. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Brilliant board KIO but I dont thinks it will be a brilliant result. No Pritchard, no Trybull and perhaps with players who are not up for this fixture after all the hype over Pritchard. Many of us are feeling like this club is going nowhere after mistakes of the past have now caught up with the reality of today. The over emphases on keeping the finances straight to the detriment of the expectations of the fans has now reached a peak.

KIO likes this.
  7. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Team announced in 10 minutes. What do you bet it's pretty much a re-run from last week but with Vrančić playing where Alex should have been. And just press repeat.
    From now until the end of the season <wah>

8. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Amazing KIO. As usual!

KIO likes this.
  9. Forgot_My_Lines

Vrancic and Stiepermann back I recon.

10. Forgot_My_Lines

Urgh. Vrancic walks straight back into the side <doh>

On the plus side. Josh and Lewis on the left again! And Raggett and Cantwell on the bench!

11. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Starting XI: Gunn; Hanley, Zimmerman, Klose; Pinto (c), Vrancic, Tettey, Lewis; Maddison, Oliveira, Murphy.

Subs: McGovern (GK), Husband, Reed, Hoolahan, Stiepermann, Raggett, Cantwell

12. Forgot_My_Lines

Gunn
    Zim, Han, Klose
    Pinto, Tetty, Lewis
    Vrancic
    Maddison, Josh
    Nelson?

Can’t picture the midfield formation.

13. RiverEndRick

Interesting, a 3-4-3 formation but including Oliveira (who replaces Pritchard in effect). Vrancic replaces the injured Trybull. His long through balls to the front 3 and WBs could just work.

14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

If we don't suffer any injuries, I hope both Raggett and Cantwell come on as subs.

15. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Would rather see Reed than Vrancic.
    I assume Reed is fit??

16. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

We RARELY had anyone 'waiting in the middle!!!!' <yikes>

18. RiverEndRick

Fit enough for the bench, but not to start apparently. I think we'll counterattack with Vrancic linking play to Madders to distribute up front or to Murphy and the WBs. Plenty of pace there. Also great to see Raggett and Cantwell on the bench!

19. RiverEndRick

Not even Pritchard! ;)

JM Fan likes this.
  20. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Mark Walton on Radio Norfolk.
    Talks a lot of sense

: CanaryCall