1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Burnley v Leeds Utd Match thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Sep 18, 2017.

?

SCORELINE:Burnley v Leeds Utd

Poll closed Sep 19, 2017.
  1. 0-0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2-2 or higher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Burnley by 1

10.5%
  5. Leeds by 1

31.6%
  6. Burnley by 2

26.3%
  7. Leeds by 2

5.3%
  8. Burnley by 3 or more

26.3%
  9. Leeds by 3 or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Untitlged-1.jpg
    Burnley v Leeds Utd
    Tuesday 19th September [email protected]
    Streaming links to follow

Good Morning Everyone

Leeds make the 60 mile journey to Burnley on Tuesday evening attempting to make the last 16 of the Carabao Cup.

Christensen has big decisions to make on the field following their disappointing defeat at the Den on Saturday.

I'm sure every fan amongst us would have settled for one defeat after eight league games, but it was the manner which we lost that will concern the fickle Leeds fans.

Reports over the weekend suggest that Hernandez does not have the physical presence to impact on matches away from Elland Road and should be rested so he can dictate games at ER.

We also heard how Anita, who has been superb so far this season is suddenly a liability, and he's too short!

What about Alioski? Surely he's still finding his feet! In my opinion this lad has a big future at Leeds; he just needs to get used to the physicality of the Championship. Is he going to be a world beater every game - No, one of the main differences between good Premiership players and great Championship players is consistency. He will improve as the season goes on.

Is it time for us to panic - no, of course it's not; as long as we can get back to winning ways!

Does this mean the gaffer puts out his strongest team tomorrow night though?

The East Lancashire club have made a decent start to the season holding both Liverpool and Spurs to score draws. They have also beaten last years Champions at Stanford Bridge.

Taylor is yet to play for the Clarets since his 6m move from ER; perhaps we will see him on Tuesday night?

It will be interesting to see if Wood starts - I would imagine he'll be on the bench in case they go behind.

Will Dyche select a strong side to face the Championship pace setters. We have seen what happens when teams are underestimated!

2. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Leeds fans having a message for Millwall fans

3. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. We’re bound to have a bad performance sooner or later. It’s how we respond that counts. Leaving aside the Burnley game, which counts for nothing, we have two of the top teams next. That’ll bring us to the ten game mark some of us are using as a yardstick to assess our progress. Four points from those two will be an excellent start to the season. For Burnley I hope we play the catering and ground staff. Irrelevant cup

4. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Morning all
    Win lose or draw not that bothered providing we don't pick up any injuries.
    More important games coming up which we need to win if we want to get to the promised land.
    Some may disagree.
    A win would of course be a moral booster.
    So would a kick up the arse.

5. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

60 miles depends if you go via the M62, they are closer than you think !!!!

Evening my hearties - Leeds win 2-0 as we are playing a footballing team rather than a rugby team "uuup annd under"

However as you mention it Queensland have two teams in the NRL semi finals :emoticon-0157-sun::emoticon-0157-sun:

SUNSHINE STATE

strachallister likes this.
  6. 2 pennth

Morning Eire.
    We must have been typing at the same time.

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  7. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

Burnley is an unwanted distraction.
    Play the under 23s and get the hell out of the mickey mouse cup.
    Saturday is a big game now. Win and losing against the wall was a blip, lose an the doubts will well and truly set in.
    Looking at our fixtures 7 points from the next 4 league ganes would be a good haul!

8. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Eire, yes 4 points from our next two league games would settle everyone down, even Glory.

9. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning 2pennth, I don't think its a kick up the ass they need. We played the wrong tactics, it was always gonna be a scrap. Its the kind of game made for the likes of Berardi and Viera, but give the gaffer his due, only one mistake.

Eric Le Merde likes this.
  10. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning ELM, or should I say evening???

Eric Le Merde likes this.

11. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Chipster, well said pal

12. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Good morning all,See what you guys mean about the next four games,ipswich,cardiff,sheff wed & reading,:emoticon-0141-whew:& yes think i would also be happy with 7pts,but let's hope it's more not less,very very good guide to our season ahead after these fixtures.as it won't get any tougher than that run,Lets hope the team can produce which i am sure they will.

13. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all...

What I never understand at this level is how virtually the whole team have an off day at the same time, it doesn't seem to happen at PL level. Yes all players have an off day but when you have the majority of the team doing so all at the same time it's a tricky one to resolve.

It isn't just Leeds though, Cardiff did the same a couple of games back, according to their supporters it was the same, an off day for virtually the entire team, their last three games is a defeat and two draws so no wins in three. As Eire points out, one or two games is fine but it's how we bounce back that counts.

I didn't feel the finger pointing at Alioski and Anita was right, why do we as Leeds fans need to point a finger of blame because we had one awful outing. We can all second guess if Hernandez is tired or why Alioski has gone off the boil but I guarantee Thomas is a better coach than us with a more close up view on the situation and I'm sure he'll make the right decision <ok>

In regards to Burnley, I'd like us to go for it and I believe we can do it as we have strength in depth. Grot, Roofe, Vieira, Berardi, Dallas, Cibicki all started on the bench, bring them all in and we still have a strong team. Each will be eager to impress and show why they shouldn't be sitting on the bench <ok>

I'm not quite sure I agree with "wrong tactics" what are the right ones, what should Thomas have done considering we're top of the league and unbeaten? What if he had made major changes and the defeat still came and we all asked why the hell did he change a winning formula???

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  14. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

It happened in the PL: as recently as yesterday... Everton

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  15. 2 pennth

Fair comment

16. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Agree an off day for the whole team,however we now have strengh in depth,look at that bench Grot, Roofe, Vieira, Berardi, Dallas, Cibicki i am sure they would have seen their chance for a more permanent first team place & will want to take it.Any more poor performances from the regular first teamers & they could find themselves on the subs bench,as they will not get away with it like in past seasons.

2 pennth likes this.
  17. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry, I probably worded it slightly wrong; top teams rarely if ever all play bad. Man U are expected to be top 3 Everton look to be in the relegation mix and on their day Man U can be unstoppable. Scoring 4 against Everton isn't a shock, Everton winning 1-0 and Man U having one shot on target and 7-8 players having an off day together, now that would be a surprise.

We went into the Millwall game top and unbeaten, shots on target per game was high, goals coming all over the park and yet by all accounts we looked like a league 2 side.

18. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

Morning lads hope you all had a good weekend <cheers>

19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

There have been signs of best way to stop us, for example Preston got in our faces so Milwall were always going to do it & Tommy even said he knows what to expect. He couldn't counter it on the day though, so lets hope he has something up his sleeve to sort it, as Ipswich will do exactly the same. We get to see the credentials of Tommy now, as we know hes great at fast attacking, skillful play but so far we aint seen his plan B for games like Milwall?

Burnley I believe Tommy will play a full strength team for 2 reasons. 1) Some players need to redeem themselves 2) We have a strong squad, in fact we have 2 good teams. Burnley will be a good test and Tommy can use it to gee his team up as in reality Burnley are a Championship team with a good manager. taylor will play and he will want to prove a point and so too should our left back whoever gets the nod. Whoever we play up top will want to show Wood & of course the cup is revenue.

Pablo Hernandez is the only player without a new contract, has he earned an extension or is he past his best? I believe he's been great up to Saturday, but 3 games in 7 days is too much, so does that prove he needs to go or do we carry him and rest him?

hemase likes this.
  20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Had to stay off the site after Saturday as I knew we would be taking stick. I manned up and came on today to say....... twat. Good result for you lot but why didnt Tommy have answers.

MIGHTY likes this.