1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Burnley v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

I think what you and the others are missing ( and I've said it earlier if you had bothered to read my posts) is the change in tack from the posts you and others posted last season. Go back and check. How many times have we said exactly those words (GF and Diego) 'like the manager doesn't miss sitters and penalties' only to be jumped on by the others? Surely this truism applies in all circumstances and not only to one manager? Surely you can see the hypocrisy of certain peoples positions. That's all I wanted to expose. I've no axe to grind against Rangnick although to me he's not united manager material and the players are hardly responding to him.

(And yes I have to admit that of the others you were the least blinded by the hatred of the previous regime and at least you could give some sensible assessment of matches. The others were just too ridiculous for words. That they couldn't even see the wood for the trees. Ridiculous positions were taken. The league cup was suddenly more important than a 2nd place <laugh>.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  2. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I never said the manager doesn't miss sitters (though he rarely did as a player :emoticon-0100-smile), i said he doesn't have strings on the players like a puppeteer meaning he couldn't be held responsible for **** passing/decision making in game.

Surely you can see the difference in organisation and tactics/system now from 3 months ago?
    The players now have a direction that they all follow and understand, missing sitters is a ****ter that happens to the best at any time but at least we are now creating those sitters to miss. I have seen many games under the best manager in the world where i have turned to my lad and said "we are not scoring today" and mostly been right. **** happens but on balance the outcome is usually good.

3. Christiansmith

Semantics. I’ve said that those words said by chief and yours mean basically the same. That the manager cannot be blamed if a player ****s up. When Fernandes skied a last minute penalty to lose us 2 points, I said that the player must take responsibility. The immediate response was we clearly should have been well ahead and that pen miss shouldn’t have mattered. Again the same thing happened but this time we are more broad minded and looking to the real culprits. But shouldn’t we be ahead anyway and should this and that miss matter?

This season was a ****storm. And tbh the players stopped playing for him. So any manager would have obtained some decent results but not that good compared to the previous interim manager. Yes, it seems that we have a system and that players follow the same direction but hang on. Did we go on the longest unbeaten away run in premiership history by chance by accident without a system? Did we get to 3rd and 2nd by accident or did the players just got results because their transfer fees were high. This is not go back to the previous manager but really to put all this excitement about improvement into perspective. Of course there was bound to be some improvement but not as much as some would have us believe.

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh it's not like nobody said we should've scored 4 or 5 without Ronaldo missing his pen. Nobody said that all... except they did <doh>

The difference is, and here's the bit some struggle with. When we say this time, that we should've scored a hat full other than the pen, it's because we're creating 20+ chances. And when we previously said a penalty miss wasn't the real issue is because we were creating fck all other chances to score because we were playing cautious defensive predictable football.

And here's the bit some really fail to grasp. The difference between both (i.e. creating lots of chances and creating none) comes down to tactics, how the players are coached and an attacking philosophy.

Given the choice between both scenarios give me the 2nd every time because a) it shows progress in the long run, and b) we correct our finishing and we'll have more chance of scoring.

But of course you can only see that if you're actually watching the game.

5. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Let’s me start by saying Rangnick is sht! Now with that out of the way…

What I don’t get is why Christian and Glazer keep bringing Ole into the picture. Does Rangnick being sht somehow justify Ole? WTF, boys???

Or is the suggestion that Ole should have stayed on while we spend another £312m for him to get better players? When Ole started as the manager and things started the flare up, all I read about here is how we should wait until he has his own players. Yet here we are after three months of another manager but we can’t get past the last sht one.

I really don’t understand the mutual inclusiveness of the argument around here. Is the way forward backward? Should we have stuck by sht Ole just to pacify brainless fans? I just don’t get it!

Also, I really don’t remember anyone ever talking about Jose Mourinho when Ole got found out to be out of his depth. But here we are, constantly trying to pacify ourselves by bringing up a horrible manager that effectively created this mess to begin with. What a fricken mad logic!

The way forward is simple, if a manager is not good enough, we get the next and stop getting emotionally tied in. But at the same time, have a setup at the club that transcends a manager. That is far more important at this juncture than even results.

PS: Mr. Maguire! The legendary captain! lol

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  6. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

My sole issue is that Ole should have been kept in the job until the end of the season. Yes, he was demonstrably out of his depth and we were going nowhere fast, but bringing in an interim for such a short period of time is, I believe, far worse than leaving Ole where he was.The end result is going to be the same, a new manager for 2022/3 but by sacking Ole and bringing in Rangnick will be counterproductive. There is already unrest, reports of players not liking training, all of it bad for morale and it fragments an already disheartened dressing room.

To me Rangnick is a waste of space. he has no authority, the players know it, and are reacting badly. Whoever our new manager is it will be back to square one, undoing all of Rangnick's work and confusing the **** out of the players even more. Ole was bad, but would have been the lesser of two evils, this has been ****uppery of the highest standard - Woodwards last hurrah.

7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

You can’t be serious with that first statement! You really can’t be serious!!!

What makes your post even worse is that data doesn’t support what you just posted. Shipping 3 to 4 goes every other week was the absolute bottom. That is exactly how top teams get relegated. Because of the mentality of, if not this manager, then who. What a horrible suggestion, Glazer.

Let me list the good things that I think is happening:
    1/ Shrinking down the team size last month. That’s a win!
    2/ Not spending another dime until we figure out what they hell is going on with structure. Another win!
    3/ Rangnick or any other manager being interim. That was a good choice. Ole needed to be saved as he was dying death by a thousand cuts with every game. You could see it!

8. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

We are going backwards just as fast under Rangnick as we were with Ole, all; we've managed to do by getting rid of him and bringing in Ralf is create discord and splitting the dressing room, the fallout of which will roll on into the managers term - I don't see that as progress at all - and as for our so called 'improved' form, what a load of crap, our form remains piss poor so someone explain how Ralf is an upgrade on Ole.

9. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Going backward? You mean Ole left the team in better situation? Because reality does not that you up on that statement.

Regardless, I am not here to make a case for Rangnick. But getting rid of Ole was the absolute right thing to do. It is criminal that we didn't do it sooner.

10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

The truth that can't be ignored is that in the last few weeks of Ole's period in management we were hammered by Leicester, Liverpool, Watford and City.

He couldn't stay. It definitely wouldn't have been better if he'd stayed.

Now, since then (in the league) we've lost once, at home to Wolves.
    Not great, but we're not being battered by any means, even if we do draw way too many.

If some players won't play because Rangnick is an interim, they should be identified and they should leave the club.

This includes Ronaldo, if he's one of them.

If this is Rangnick's one legacy, that he identifies and gets rid of the shirkers, then it won't have been a complete failure.

cytrax likes this.

11. Christiansmith

FFS how many times have I got to say that my views on the current situation has nothing to do with Ole. HE NEEDED TO GO AS HIS POSITION HAS BECOME UNTENABLE. And Rangnick being **** has and will never justify ole. Ok?

Some here has eulogised about how we’ve improved and how the players are all pulling in one direction. The hell we have. This team is nowhere equal to the one of the last 2 seasons and nowhere we want it to be. We cannot seem to get a win whether the opposition is good or bad whether we play home or away. Rangnick is pure unadulterated **** and the team hadn’t made any progress with him.

12. Christiansmith

While Ole HAD to go, there was an expectation we would get someone better. The team has hardly improved from that low we reached this season. We are going backwards but everything isn’t lost yet. We simply have to get rid of Rangnick as he’s completely out of his depth/unsuited for the job and the players are not responding to him.

13. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

How the f did you get past the last three months of Ole being here? You have somehow and magically moved the goal past to the last 2 fkin seasons. You're comparing the last two seasons of another manager to other manager that's been in the job for 3 months after taking over from the abject pithole we were in. You're all over the place in a effort to try and make a useless point about an INTERIM manager. My GOODNESS, Christian!!!

What is worse about your fervent vent about the manager now is that you actually think that somehow the last two seasons were some measure of success. You blamed everything in the books but that manager. But here you are, finally come of age!

You absolutely lack credibility on this topic based on your record of complete lack of objectivity when you needed to have one.

14. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

INTERIM!!!

15. Christiansmith

We simply have to get rid of the ****ing INTERIM manager (a first!) while there is still hope we could get something out of this season. Anyone around is better than him. Let’s hope Arnold has got the balls to act. How many points have we unnecessarily dropped in the last few matches?

16. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

This post here is my single ask for this season. Tear down the house if you must to get the structure back. I do not want to read anything about "senior" players saying about how they should be managed. I don't see the leadership on the pitch, I certainly wouldn't be conferring with them off the pitch if I were Arnold. Identify these so-called senior players and reset this rotten culture by the summer. Bring in a new manager and give him something better to work with.

17. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

No Christian! The culture is rotten! Ole's legacy!!!

There is no quick fix to the situation of lazy entitled fkers that are collecting huge paycheck and jumping off to another manager in February. Try and be less emotional in your prognosis.

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

So what do we get instead, a caretaker manager?

What's the point, or difference?

It's fairly clear the intention is the new full time manager will be appointed in the summer.

19. Christiansmith

I think you should forget your obsession with Ole. He’s been gone more than 3-4 months now so it’s not of any use blaming everything on him. When the coach is useless he is useless no matter who was here before him. Scholes is right. Rangnick is not a coach and his team is not properly coached.

why not let Carrick coach and select the team until the end of the season? He’s a million times better than the current rubbish we have.

20. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

To be absolutely fair, it's not all Ole's legacy.

The rot started with van Gaal, who set us back a decade we're still trying to recover from.

The real probelm is, was, and always will be even further up; with the Glazers.

Christiansmith likes this.