1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Burnley v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

That obsession with Ole being the root of our problems is just nonsense spouted by the haters. They are so narrow minded and they’ve never been able to see the big picture.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Solskjaer was an interesting punt that everyone hoped would work.

He was a caretaker though, right?

And the intention was surely at that time to appoint the manager at the end of the season, but instead they (owners, Woodward etc.) ****ed that one up as usual, and threw Ole into a job that was obviously ultimately too much for him.

Three seasons in, they are doing what they should have done then; which is seeing the season out with a man in mind to take over next season. Quite right.

There are now three candidates seemingly; Poch, ten Haag and Louis Enrique.

Would love them to appoint Enrique, but he won't be available until after the World Cup.

Which would mean another half season with Ralphy ffs!!

3. Christiansmith

We’ve not had football people in charge. The mistake people at the top made (I’ve said this umpteen times since Fergie left) was that they thought that the dominance will automatically follow if money was spent on the top players. Not enough effort was spent on the manager. Those who very little knowledge of the history of the club scoffed when I said managing this club is a Herculean task only suitable for few people. And so far I’ve been proved right. Ole was a failure in the end but more eminent more respected people failed before him.

Why keep a complete and utter dud at interim when we know we’ll get a new manager in six months? I’ve no doubt that it will get worse in the next matches and with him we can forget any European football next season.

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I don't agree with the last paragraph, but I agree with the stuff before.

Maddeningly, the job was made for Mourinho.

But, collectively, he and the football club managed to **** it all up.

5. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

If those are strictly the names being considered, then I would go from Enrique, ten Haag, with Poch last.

As for current team being Ole’s legacy, I don’t get how we can somehow go as far back as LvG to somehow absolve Ole. Ole was in the job for three years with £312m spent with absolutely nothing to show for it but various illustrations of abject failure. Therefore, this current team is firmly his legacy. I don’t see how we can possibly rationalize that any other way.

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

He was given the opportunity and budget to make the best of it and failed, that's fair enough.

But the problems go way further back than that.
    As in, the absolute mess the whole club is in.

There's too much deterioration from top to bottom. Elements of the stadium are ****e, and border line falling apart, it's not just what appears on the pitch.

They still do some stuff very well, but a good deal of it has also gone to pot. They couldn't even open the food outlets at half time during the Boro game for **** sake.

Needs ripping up and starting again.

Christiansmith likes this.
  7. Christiansmith

This

There is no way Ole can be totally responsible for the problems that seemed endemic since Fergie left. Some are simply haters who refuse to accept the reality. Mistakes upon mistakes were done in recruitment of players, coaching staff and the operation of the club itself.

8. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

What has haters got to do with anything? What does that even mean?

You’ve just listed that mistakes were made recruiting players and coaching staff but somehow Ole was not responsible for any of it even though he was a prime consult for both functions. Wtf was Ole responsible for apart from collecting his lottery winnings from Woody?

Of course Woodward is the ultimate torch bearer when it comes to failings at the club that have now become structural, But it certainly doesn’t absolve Ole of full responsibility for how things turned out under his leadership. He certainly won’t be getting a job at any of the top clubs in the country and that says it all. His failings as a manager was by no means circumstantial.

9. Christiansmith

look no point discussing with you. Your obsession with Ole and your insistence on putting all the blame for our present problems on him is just pathetic. I’ve never said he’s not to blame. I just agree with Chief that the whole **** situation we currently face cannot be totally dumped on him. It has been a mess that mostly the Greedy glazers and Woodward contributed to, made worse by a series of wrong managers. If you can’t see this even after the Chief’s clear explanation then I can’t see the point of carrying on arguing the point with you. Some people are so narrow minded and so full of hate that they refuse to see the obvious. He’s been gone more than 3-4 months. Let it go.

10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It's tragic that we're still talking about Ole. Some people just want to keep looking back instead of looking forward. We never had this much naval gazing over LVG or Mourhino after they left.

Really need to stop this nonsense. Some just WON'T allow it.

I keep saying this. Love him or hate him Ole is gone. Get over it ffs!

Look forward and think about what we need and want in the future. <doh>

cytrax likes this.

11. Christiansmith

One way (if not the only way) to do this is to judge the current manager without reference to the previous one. Just look at the outcome of matches objectively. By any standards he is a **** manager. And the players are clearly not responding to him. He is not coaching his team as apparently he is not a proper coach. Interim or not, most managers would have been sacked by now. Can we really say that a replacement like Carrick won’t get more from the players we have? Are we just going to let the season peter out into mediocrity? At this rate we won’t even stay in the top half of the table <doh>

12. Christiansmith

For those Rangnick apologists. I am not the only one who says that Utd had not improved under a really **** manager. He should not be at the club a minute longer.

Match of the Day: Jermaine Jenas and Danny Murphy look at Man Utd's "shambolic" work rate against Southampton
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/60364671

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Ok well if you want a reasonable dialogue then this is what I think.

There are 4 main areas to look at which imo were all a problem.

1) The defence,
    2) The defensive side of midfield
    3) The creativity in midfield and general attacking play.
    4) The final third and finishing.

Since he's taken over:

1) The defence has improved in that we've reduced the number of goals we're conceding and we're conceding less at the start of games. However there is still work to be done and we have a problem in central defence which still makes us vulnerable. So that's still a big issue.

2) This ties in with 1) The likes of McTominay and Matic are not good enough (yet? or never will be?). Fred has improved and is a far more confident and better player in his all round game.

However, there is no doubt in my mind when we lose control of the midfield and allow the opposition to come at us it's not just the back 4 but the likes of McT and Matic who are culpable. They expose our defence.

3) This has seen the biggest improvement. We win the ball more, we look fitter/more energy, we press better, we pass the ball better, the movement, and we create far many more chances. This is by far the biggest and best improvement. It shows progress which directly impacts on our ability to win games.

4) This leads on from 3) because whilst our attacking play has improved and we're creating lots of chances we're not finishing them. If we did we'd be 3 or 4 goals up, and conceding a goal a game would be less of an issue.

Part of the problem with our finishing is the lack of movement and poor positioning of our forward players. We crowd the box making it easy for defenders to block and clear. The other part of it is our decision making and shooting when we should be laying it across the box.

Overall progress made, heading in the right direction but still lots to do.

Diego and cytrax like this.
  14. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

You lived with a terrible manager for three years making all sorts of excuses. Somehow you have come to the conclusion that an interim manager should be removed in the middle of February after three months because you think there’s something to salvage from a season that was already gone by the time your bf was dismissed. Ironically he actually has better record than the list from this season without buying a single player while shedding the fat.

Look, you are way too emotional about this and it comes out in your posts.

For the record, I don’t think anyone here gives a sht about Rangnick in the sense that you’re defending Ole even against the terrible records. But the way forward for the team is certainly not to change management again in Feb. For one, are you going to install another interim manager? Because surely no smart manager worthy of having will take a role at Manchester United with 12 games to go. Operative word there is “worthy”.

Your position on this is beyond ridiculous at this point.

15. Christiansmith

Look. Yet again you mention Ole several times whilst I have said many times and agreed with others here that we need to move forward. Your personalising this by saying he’s my BF doesn’t help your ridiculous arguments one bit and is a bit pathetic frankly. Are you a child? Can’t you drop any mention of the previous manager? Your obsession with him is bordering on the pathological. You really need to get yourself sorted out.

16. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Oh yes, another point why your flip flopping philosophy is so out of the precedence that you’ve set….

You hated pundits under Ole. But all of a sudden, you are quoting them. Where are you when the whole world knew we were a disaster and a laughing stock? You came on here and you called them “haters”. Somehow, those haters have become completely rational to you?

Again, let me be very clear; Rangnick is without a doubt NOT the man for the full time role. But what he has started is definitely the right way to rebuild. We will get a proper manager in the summer that will build on that. None of your emotional “get him out now”, or why not leave Ole until the end of the season. We had nothing, Absolutely nothing to build on with Ole.

Hopefully that is clear enough and we can stop this nonsense!

Edit: needed to add the NOT to make it obvious for Christian. :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  17. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Yes, you brought out the child with your ridiculous flip-flopping!

18. Christiansmith

absolute ****ing nonsense. what he’s done up to now is nothing to be impressed about and doesn’t deserve to get the permanent role. Your championing of a turd of a manager is just pathetic.

19. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I missed a word there, Christian. Without a doubt NOT the man for the full time role. You should have seen that. Come on, brother!!

If you weren’t so emotional about Rangnick as I am about responding to you, you would have spotted that mistake given I followed the sentence with “but”. <doh>

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  20. Christiansmith

As usual you are full of **** trying to defend the indefensible.