1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Burnley v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

If its any consolidation lads I think you've got a good chance of getting 6th still

2. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

I think there is defo something in that
    Obvs I have been reading and I don’t normally post on here as it not the open board or my club.

from an outsider - I think there are huge parallels to when Klopp took over with us
    We were able to play for periods and then almost collapse
    I think Rangnick has spoken a lot of sense and there have been slight improvements from the limited bits I see and hear.
    It looks to me like there are clearly player issues - defo think you are moving the right way but it took Klopp four/five seasons to get it right and many may argue he has undone a lot of his good work since winning the league.
    imho it is just baby steps - your transfer structure defo looks like it has taken steps forward with the only anomaly being Ronaldo
    And tbh He is one of the two GOAT so totally understandable why he was signed
    You are managing to play really well until something knocks the confidence of the side from what I see
    It’s strange but I think you are moving forward

cytrax, Diego, Treble and 1 other person like this.
  3. Doc.

Doc. Well-Known Member

Dan burn being better than maguire tells me we've got quite some way to go

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Arsenal for 4th I reckon. We'll be fighting it out for 5th or 6th with West Ham and Spurs.

cytrax, Diego and Sucky like this.
  5. Sucky

They Shoulda bought big Nat Philips off us tbh, he's better.

Munson. likes this.
  6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Hard to say it but i think i agree.
    Would have backed Spuds for 4th but they are even ****ter than us at the mo.

Sucky and Treble like this.
  7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Very much this. The comparison of how you were immediately after Klopp took over has crossed my mind. In the sense the creativity and attacking play improved but your defence remained your weakness. It was almost the very last piece in the jigsaw for you. The "organised" pressing and tactical play was much better much quicker tbf. The only other difference might be that your resulting goal scoring came quicker than ours will.

Jammy 07, Bumps and Diego like this.
  8. Sucky

Swap Wham and the goons :emoticon-0148-yes:

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

The only thing against Arsenal is their two postponed games are against Chelsea and Liverpool. But I still think they're in a better position even if they drop points in those games.

Diego likes this.
  10. Sucky

Bumps is the ultimate troll<laugh>:bandit:
    please log in to view this image

11. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Yep that's what I'm seeing.

Starting games much better but then fading as presumably the physical effort takes effect and fitness levels of some players are exposed. Maybe fans preferred the Ole way of beginning poorly and then come storming back in the 2nd half with loads of off the cuff risk taking ? Unfortunately that only really works against middle to lower table teams and the big boys just pick you off and saunter to a win.

The other observation is that by playing a more high energy pressing game it's exposing some of the weaker links which is maybe a good thing in the long run.

Treble and Bumps like this.
  12. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

I think many forget just how long it took us to sort out the house cleaning we got lucky getting to two finals in first season (winning neither) when we also didn’t qualify for Europe - I think
    In fact thinking on it that europa final against Sevilla was like your last two games where in first half we were dominating and then the second half - HMOC !
    We had to get through a **** load of injuring the players too till they could cope with the demands being placed on them and absolutely the defence was last piece.

Treble and Jammy 07 like this.
  13. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

I not sure they are weaker links but it is defo exposing those who want to play that way imho
    I think Sancho was highlighted on MoD - he is one that I think with right direction can come really good
    But he currently jogging back as if he doesn’t see defence as part of his role but when surrounded by everyone else doing it I am certain he will be fine

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It's a strange one it really is. You look at the Villa game when we went 2-0 up and then ended up conceding 2. I don't know if it's fitness or just a lack of confidence or mentality that we lose our focus, stop doing what we were doing in the first 30 mins of a game. Shaw said something about us losing our composure as we're then trying to chase the winning goal whilst at the same time thinking "here we go again".

Bumps likes this.
  15. Jammy 07

Think we've said enough already.

Let the ****ers suffer and work it out for themselves <laugh>

cytrax, Sucky, Diego and 2 others like this.
  16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Feel free to comment on the Rangnick Theory and Next Manager thread folks <cheers>

Bumps, Diego and Jammy 07 like this.
  17. Jammy 07

It's about players recruitment in my opinion.

There seemed to be policy to sign top young talent like Wan Basaka but then it's Ronaldo, Cavani & Varane through the door ?

Then it's we must have Sancho but also let's keep Mata and Matic who are clearly surplus to requirements. I've been saying this to a mate of mine for years that you're far too possessive over certain players and it leads to dressing room discontent. That's not to say those players mentioned are bad apples but it's just the make up of the squad is all wrong.

Bumps, cytrax, Diego and 1 other person like this.
  18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think the intention was to have a mix of youth and experience. Ideally the youth coming from the academy. After the "galacticos mercenary" approach by Jose, that's the one thing Ole was right about with his approach. I don't think many if any could fault him for the younger players he brought in like Wan Bissaka or Bruno. I can also understand bringing in Cavani and Ronaldo, if only because of what the young players would learn from them.

But there's no doubt we've held on to certain players for far too long and the squad has a lot of dead wood. We need a clear out of so many AND replacing.

The CM position a few of us have been on about for over a year has not been addressed. I laugh when I hear pundits say "United didn't need Ronaldo, they needed a Declan Rice". Not one fcker was talking about us needing a Declan Rice before the season started! Not one.

Diego likes this.
  19. Sucky

please log in to view this image

20. Jammy 07

I'd have to disagree on the Declan Rice thing.

You've been crying out for a player of his ilk for over 2 seasons now and he was definitely the player you needed. Maybe, as you say no one else was saying that but it seemed obvious to me and lots of other fans than are not connected to your club.

None of the players you have are bad players but it's just the ridiculous notion to keep them all which is baffling. Most fans of other clubs could give you a list of players which could have been sold in the last couple of seasons which would have netted a couple of hundred million easily.

Lingard
    Henderson
    McTominay
    Mata
    Matic
    Lindelof
    Martial
    Van de Beek
    Bailly

That's just off the top of my head and now you're going to do exactly the same and say...oooh we can't sell him because ???