1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Burnley Vs Sunderland Official Sunderland Not606 Match Thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Call me over optimistic or whatever you want but im sorry a draw against the team thats newly promoted and most likely to go down in the Prem this season is not acceptable in my eyes.

2. Tickler

Tickler Well-Known Member

After returning from the game today my verdict is

This is JOS last season in the prem, if he even lasts the full season. Was beaten for speed and turned god knows how many times today.

PVA is good at attacking but needs some serious work to his defensive game.

Larsson has returned back to his former self, contract tied down and happy to live off the wages.

Apart from that the team were average, best i've seen Rodwell play in a SAFC shirt today as well.

Anthony Taylor is a knob who, when refereeing, believes that Football is a non-contact sport and should be shot and left to the crows.

3. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

These away games at newly promoted teams are tough and we get more than our share unfortunately thanks to repeatedly unbalanced scheduling. One point is better than none and depriving Burnley their golden chance of three points (as we are seen as beatable on every ground we visit) is the real achievement today. My own view is that this is going to be a hard grind until Xmas and if we are still 14th or above we will be doing well. This and a good cup run is all we can realistically hope for due to the legacy of BFGB and MON and the first DOF still negatively influencing on our finances.

4. Sam_Fring

Sam_Fring Well-Known Member

Respect the point away from home lads. We only really got going for about 15 mins in the second half and I haven't read the comments on here but I was and still am baffled by Jozy for AJ. We were having our best spell. Gomez yes but if he had left the front 3 as they were I think we would've kept giving them problems. I like Jozy but I've never seen anything like that in my life today.

5. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Looking back on the game I think the substitutions and change of shape did for us. However, if we had a dose of Burnley's determination we may have been well in.

6. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Was a very disappointing performance all round, and we must improve, quickly.

Nothing more to add.

7. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Just got home ****ing mangled

8. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

I agree with clockstander that any newly promoted team plays the first few games like it was a cup final. They're always delighted to be in the PL and full of themselves. Eventually, they'll come up against Chelsea or Man. C., take a good hiding and it'll knock some of the stuffing out of them. But playing them early on is always difficult. However, that's no excuse for the way we played today. Even Gary Bennett said he found it difficult to take any positives from the way we played, except that it's an away point. I suppose they all count.

9. Aussie blackcat85

Aussie blackcat85 Well-Known Member

My question is, would anyone on here at the start of the season taken 4pts from the first 5 games?

10. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Not me, I have to say.

I expected us to beat WBA, who are piss poor, and would have thought we'd beat Burnly too.

I'd have thought we'd have 5 or 7.

11. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

It's better than one out of seven games I suppose :laugh: But no, I'm a bit disappointed.

12. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

After how we ended last season, followed by some decent signings, after looking at the fixture list at this point we are 2 points below what I expected/hoped for.

I would have hoped for 1 win by now, tbh one of the away games. Having said that the Man U games was definitely 2 points dropped.

It's still far too early though to start making judgements on performance yet, but if yesterday's level, (given Gus comments after the match, and some of you guys who saw the game), doesn't improve then I'm sure most of us will be concerned at how the season may pan out. Like I said, still early days.

13. Aussie blackcat85

Me too GG, trying to take positives from our previous starts. Under mon I believe we were 7pts after 5 ( 4 d 1 w) and we were lucky to beat Wigan from memory. last season obviously piss poor only 1 after 8. 2pts off Man U and spurs isn't bad but it's our struggles against teams around us that has me baffled. Is it a mentality thing with the players? Thinking they've got this before the ball is even kicked?

14. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

My concern at the minute is that there are no signs of improvement, of cohesion.

I'm not panicking yet, but I do feel Gus is continuing to pick the wrong teams and starving CM of creativity, Gomez has that.

AJ is looking sharp last 2 games and that's a pluc, PVA is starting to look a really decent signing, but after that nobody is really doing it.

I'd play Gomez for Seb, start Buckley and get Mavrias on the bench just to tell the wingers he's close enough to be considered, shame Alvarez had a knock cos I think he could have made a difference.

For the couple of spells we pressed them, they were creaking then we eased off, we need to be forcing the game more, we haven't a big scoring striker so we need to grind teams down and hope we get a goalscorer in January.

I still think Gus just sees an away point as enough, when in reality, for progression, a draw at Burnley is a poor result.

15. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

This is something, WBA, flying start and then we let them all over us.

You get 1-0 up against a side like WBA away, and you press them and make them make errors, we didn't and were very fortunate indeed to take a point.

AJ made a lot of runs in the middle part of the first half and had no outlet, Wickham's positional play is very poor centrally IMO he is only strong positionally when we break quickly, this isn't always possible.

16. Aussie blackcat85

After how we beat man city,chelsea, Man U away! Prob be biased here but that was the greatest escape of all! That's what I don't get mate, same core of players can achieve that at the end of the season but struggle against a side who's only scored 1 goal for the season, I rate dyche, think he utilises the players he's got quite well but when we have Johnson giachh, rodwell etc in the middle then this is a game we should be stamping GP's gameplan!

17. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

What is GP's gameplan though?

Not in any way doubting that Gus is the right man, but surely he needs to give the instruction to press more, to attack with pace.

When we do this, we look very, very good.

18. Aussie blackcat85

Tbh when he didn't have Buckley starting against spurs I was a little confused, playing cw out on the wing at the start of the season was confusing again.. What I have found is at times we're controlling the ball well just we lack that instinct in the final third mate.. All we need is a bent or. Welbeck from 09 in our squad this year and we'd be sweet

19. Sam_Fring

Sam_Fring Well-Known Member

We don't create chances because we play too slowly. We don't play quickly because we aren't good enough to, without a significant risk of losing the ball. Gus knows this and his game plan seems to be keep the ball, control the game, hope to eventually carve out a chance.

The thing is, are we going to sign the players good enough to play quickly and incisively? I doubt it cos they'll go to the top few teams. I like what Gus is trying to do but I have to say, without Ki and without attacking full backs, I don't see us scoring enough goals this season.

20. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

Sorry but an away point is an away point. I'd settle for that any day of the week