1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Burnley Vs Sunderland Official Sunderland Not606 Match Thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

PVA is a superb attacking full back mate, looking better by the game.

I don't see why we can play incisive football, AJ, Buckley, Gomez & Alvarez all have lovely touch, but you are right in that we still lack pace, Buckley & PVA have it, but both play same side, generally.

None of this would matter so much if, as Aussi Blackcat has said, we had a natural goalscorer.

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

It's strange mate, I look at our squad and what it's capable of I know exactly what I want us to do. I want the back 4 sitting higher, it's too deep, we've allowed ever team this season to press us high. Vergini is not a rb. We need and attacking midfielder sitting behind the front three, Cat's is doing his Job, Rodwell is get there and now getting up and down the pitch. Seb doesn't know what his role is, or hasn't been given one, he''s like a spare part, Gomez/Alverez in the middle further up.

I'd go

Mannone

Coates-------Brown
    Jones---------------------------------Aanholt
    Catts----Rodwell

Alvarez/Gomez
    Johnson/Buckley------Wickham------Giacc/Buckley​

With that attacking three around Wickham, we've got the the players, both them and Buckley on the bench, to switch and swap and make picking them up a nightmare for opposition defenses to keep organised, they're all good at attacking space, they all have an eye for a final ball, plus the extra support for Wickham/other striker means there's less responsibility to contribute in build up play which lets face it, all four of our strikers are s**t at. We need someone creative up Wickham's arse imo.

3. Brian Storm

Me too, but just accept that and not look how we can improve is madness.

4. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Agree entirely.

5. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

Theyre not mutually exclusive. There will be games we get points undeservedly and get nothing from good performances. We deserved a point and got a point with plenty of room to improve.

6. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's a ridiculous game. We deserved 3 against Man U, and nowt against Spurs.

Odd word that. Deserved. As if life were fair or summat <doh>

7. MackemsRule

MackemsRule Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more mate.
    My worry is that Gus sees this keeping the ball at the back (the continual passing between Oshea Brown and Mannone.) as a way to wear down teams., is he expecting the opposition to get bored as they stand about?
    Also leaves us open to their attack if their forwards put pressure on the ball.
    Catts has made a difference at times in games, by surprising the oppos by suddenly running at them with the ball at times this season.
    Keeping the ball is all well and good from a position of strength, but not when you need goals there has to be times you take risks to try and score.
    Look at the Spuds game they had us by the short and curlies, yet they decided to sit back and hold onto their lead instead of putting us to the sword.

Good call.

8. Sam_Fring

Sam_Fring Well-Known Member

9. Brian Storm

I know it's not, very happy with the point.

If we'd lost I'd have no argument on deserving to lose. I thought Burnley played better than us. I'll take points how ever they come, but how we're performing as a team is more concerning to me at the moment.

10. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

11. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Are you guys having some doubts about GP's game plan?

What are you guys suggesting about our style of play at the minute? I haven't seen the last couple of games, I'm still away, but there seems to be a few questions or doubts about Gus's style. It's not just about a lack of quality up front. Am I reading that right?

12. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

There's just a distinct lack or urgency, or of putting the oppo under pressure, which is what we did so well to stay up.

The defensive line is too deep and the midfield is stretched, and it also makes it more difficult for PVA to support the attack.

We don't look like losing many, but at the moment we don't look like winning any at all.

Not for a second do I want you to think we are turning on Gus, that's a million miles away, I just wanna see us go for 3 points, not to avoid defeat.

We are set up too deep to even counter attack effectively.

13. MackemsRule

14. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

15. MackemsRule

Was typing while you posted this.

Took me ages to reword what I wanted to say that didn't come over as anti Gus. Which I'm not.

But we have to be able to question his decisions.

And in my opinion right now he is getting his decisions wrong.

16. Rick O'Shea

Its all well and good saying push the back line up, but brown and jos as CBS would be suicide.

17. MackemsRule

So get rid of them. <ok>

18. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I agree, so we change one. We put Santi back there or we use Coates, and put Jones RB.

We could go one further and use Rodwell CB, we cannot have the whole attacking threat and shape of team nulified by a chronic lack of pace at CB.

We need to start winning games, plain & simple, JOS will not get a new deal anyway.

-----------------Vito--------------------
    Jones---Santi/Coates--Brown---------PVA

Natural wing back and at least a slight improvement on pace at CB.

19. Sam_Fring

Sam_Fring Well-Known Member

Santi is even slower man! Coates possibly but to be honest I see our CB paring as a genuine strength of the team.

Sitting deep to protect a lack of pace is ok but when we do have controlled possession we need to move higher up the pitch as a unit. There's always going to be some risk of getting caught but it's a necessary risk if we are to start creating chances

20. Rick O'Shea

I was on the fence about our start with all the draws, but if west brim hang on, I think I'll be in the bad start camp.