1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Burton at home

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by San Diego, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

sounded awful, and men dropping like flies. Turf wars or what?

Still, unbelievably, we are only 2 pts off top.

Posh boys next, could be another lesson.

2. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Talking of turf, the Portman Road pitch is already cutting up.

3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Thoughts from the game -

Dozzell would benefit playing with Skuse or someone who can screen better, although Andre is getting better at reading the play.
    McGuiness played well up against a big strong forward in Akins.
    Bennetts was lively for a while but still tries to do a little bit too much.
    Dobra was positive and always played forward.
    Hawkins won a lot of headers.
    Chambers is caught too high up the pitch too often.
    Cornell slows the game and still can't keep the ball inside the white lines from a goal kick. Needs to release the ball sooner after an opposing teams attack breaks down.
    Jackson, like Sears, is not a winger or wide forward.
    Huws got better as the game went on but wasn't great.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  4. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I can’t believe how pumped up I get when we beat the bottom team in league 1 with a goal in last 10 mins. Suppose it shows how far we’ve fallen. Can the Peterborough game finish now? I’ll take 0-0

5. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

We field a patched up cobbled together team every match, what is going on with KVY, Skuse, Edwards, Wilson, Downes, Bishop, Norwood, and any ive forgotten ? When are they coming back ? What progress if any is there ? No disrespect to the boys giving it everything but what is the situation with our first choice injured players ? Do you think someone at the Club might know and tell us ?

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Some of the younger players I prefer over those names, but it would be nice to get Chambers and Judge out of the XI and Hawkins doesn’t give us much.

7. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Would be interesting to see what happens to chambers when (if) KVY is back and fit
    I know what we would all like, but will he drop one of the CB's? Or would he go 5-2-3? Or would Lambert be brave and drop him altogether?

8. Southcoastoldgaffer

Yes, thats what I was implying in my last comment SD, snarly tackles by both poor teams, hopeless ref, awful pitch, not the PR legendary grass of old, men falling, more injuries doubtless....let's get out of this mire as soon as!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  9. Southcoastoldgaffer

All sadly true FM, but just maybe the strategy is ( ha ha!), rough & tough it out first 3 months, scrap points here and there piss off all supporters, press, and bring back the shining healed knights in white armour, miraculously healed & fighting fit, who ride in on their frisky white stallions after Xmas, and with a grand "Hooorah, for King & Country & Tolly Cobbold", sweep all opponents aside 2nd half of the season, with goals a plenty for all positions, and a keeper that actually reads the game, understands the white posts and markers, end up top 2 comfortable....
    ....and stride into the Championship arena with a fresh-faced new manager next Summer's end!

fieldmarshall likes this.
  10. Southcoastoldgaffer

I think everyone knows Chambo's playing days are nearly over, and for sure he does too.

11. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Not in Lamberts eyes...I think he'll be as one of two cb's

12. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Whatever you're drinking gaffer I 'll have the same, love it.

13. Southcoastoldgaffer

Ha ha! Just coffee, locked down, sitting tight in the weirdest 12 days to Xmas ever, and divertingly entertained, if thats possible with the antics at ITFC. Cant believe we are only 2pts off top.

TopBunk, fieldmarshall and Nuggets like this.
  14. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

When you look at it, it is incredible with the injuries we have that we are where we are in the table. If the level of performance had been maintained as it had been from the first few games of the season, im sure we'd be lauding Lambert for keeping us in the race whilst dealing with a horrific injury crisis, however the performances have been poor and the stubbornness to keep to a system which I've very rarely seen work is not good. I've never seen an Ipswich Team play well with 1 striker upfront or to be honest have any great out and out wingers. We've always been best playing with 2 uptop.

I hope when Edwards and/or KVY return we go 532 with wing backs.

Speaking of Chambers, haven't seen him have a good season since Mick moved him to RB which must be only about a year after coming.

One player I think would be good enough to play CB in this division is Skuse. Its crazy that our 2 least experienced players don't look any less experienced than our more experienced ones. Chambers and Nsiala make so many rash decisions