1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic But these aren't ruining anything, of course...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Off The Line, Nov 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Off The Line

Off The Line Well-Known Member

I imagine life becomes a game when you can have anything you want.
    Redress what?

2. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

You won't do..it's much easier to sit on here, call out people, call them scumbags etc..

3. Off The Line

What you mean like some say about people who are on benefits, or who come here in search of a better life?
    Who called them scumbags? Those are your words. I have not seen anyone say anything other than that there shouldn't be individuals sitting on extreme amounts of wealth. How is that not blindingly obvious?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Edelman likes this.
  4. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

-> Billionaire's and their endorser's prefer us to blame those who have nothing, so that we don't blame those who have everything.

Blame for what?

-> There's a reason why his income isn't taxable though, and it's not a wholesome one.

What is it?

-> he paid zero in Capital Gains Tax in 2018, and not much more since.....

Maybe he didn't sell assets in 2018? I didn't pay any either, for exactly that same reason.

-> ..... I presume it's because his spends are tied up in shares.

I'm not sure that bit makes any sense.

-> It's just a pyramid scheme on a grand scale though

Well, that's one way to look at it, if you take the view of a jealous negative cynic.
    The better way to look at it is that its a ladder. First off, you've got to take a step to get on the ladder. Then it's up to you, nobody else, how many steps up you want to take during your lifetime. All you have to do is become more valuable to the market place. Work hard, good attitude, work harder on yourself than you do on your job, read the books, take the courses, take calculated risks, etc etc. There really isn't a shortage of opportunities, especially in the countries we live in. But too many are more interested in standing at the bottom of the ladder pissing and moaning instead.

Having said all that, I do think the wealth of some is obscene and the value of certain jobs are way undervalued (care workers, emergency services, teachers), but that's another topic. Ironic that we have this debate yet we are ardent football fans eh?

RayVonn and THE EXCLUSIVE 10% like this.
  5. Howdentiger2

Sorry I just double checked, the actual phrase was scummy arsehole.

And why should you, I or anyone for that matter have a limit put on how much they can earn if they want to go off and do it ?

6. Off The Line

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/musk-taxes-mars/amp

I'm not jealous at all. I wouldn't swap my job for anything.

7. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

That was income tax, not capital gains tax and he paid nothing due to him taking nothing in income.

When he’s cashed in on shares, he has to pay capital gains tax, same as anyone else, generally at 20%.

SW3 Chelsea Tiger likes this.
  8. philhul

philhul Well-Known Member

And a crash in the S&P would have a knock on effect on global markets thereby affecting “normal people” by default ie pensions, dividend income etc

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    DMD and Howdentiger2 like this.
  9. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Musk is an odd character, as he rarely uses any of his wealth to benefit himself, no big house, no yacht, no flash car (only a Tesla), no lavish parties etc, he uses it to fund high risk start-ups and his obsession with inhabiting other planets.

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  10. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

So, he paid $455 MILLION. More than the combined tax all of us on here will ever pay. One man.
    Then there's the thousands that work in his companies and pay their tax. Think how much tax that generates.

LeftSaidFred, DMD and Howdentiger2 like this.

11. Off The Line

It's easy to say that everyone should be able to do well in life when you're not walking in their shoes.

askewshair likes this.
  12. Howdentiger2

Why shouldn't everyone be able to do well in life? Nobody should be limited to what they can earn or do of they choose to.

THE EXCLUSIVE 10% likes this.
  13. Off The Line

Because they can't. Check out Carl Rogers' theories on Psychological Growth and Development.

askewshair likes this.
  14. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

The whole argument is bizarre, as it relies on any additional taxes he pays being given to Governments, who are unlikely to spend it on the things those complaining would like anyway.

The jobs created by these billionaires are liable to bring more benefits to people than the extra tax would anyway.

15. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

I don’t disagree about living under the microscope, and I agree that we are lucky in the UK.
    This thread hasn’t been about the general public, for want of a better term, redressing geographical inequalities though. Even in the UK there are huge inequalities in life expectancy etc depending on where you live, but that increases looking globally.
    I do personally think that the issue of whether society should operate in such a way that individuals are able to accumulate such vast sums of wealth that they are Billionaires and beyond could (only could though as there are loads of other factors) help inequalities to reduce globally.
    I’m not critical of individuals accumulating the wealth they have. They’ve played by the rules, I just think the rules should change.
    I’m not clever enough to know how exactly, I just think they should and I’m sure it would be possible.

16. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

The wealthy are often the wealth creators. If you remove the ability for them to do that, you risk removing a lot of wealth from others.

Why do some people remain at work long after their pension pot has accumulated enough to live on?

Where is the line drawn? Should there be an arbitrary figure, that once you reach, you must retire to create an opportunity for someone else, rather than further increasing your pension?

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  17. dennisboothstash

Maybe under existing tax rules
    It’s those rules that should change.
    Whichever way you look at it as far as billionaires go, money has gone from ordinary people to someone who is just gathering it up to such an extent it takes vast sums out of circulation to help those ordinary people

18. dennisboothstash

Yes
    As I said becoming a billionaire

19. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

And many of those fund schemes that benefit others. Taking it off them, to give to a government to spend, doesn't automatically mean it will do more good.

20. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Dollar? Pounds, Pestas?

Does it mean them as individuals, or the corporate entity? It'd be easy for such individuals to keep an individual income below a billion.

dennisboothstash likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.