1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread BWT Grosser Preis Von Österreich 2021

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Jul 2, 2021.

?

Will we see a change on the podium?

Poll closed Jul 3, 2021.
  1. Max Verstappen

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Lewis Hamilton

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lance Stroll

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Charles Leclerc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Carlos Sainz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I think they turned their attention to the 2022 regs as soon as they were announced tbh, that reduced budget, coupled with the tweaked aero rules for this season, has really hurt them. conversely, with RBR turning up first race with a competitive car and improving it, shows where their priorities lie.

eddie_squidd likes this.
  2. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I do wonder if red bull have gone all in to win this season at the expense of next year? Maybe it was to keep max?

3. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Fantastic podium from Lando.

Really good race pace.

Right now the cars look like they did in that Bahrain pre season test- Red Bull look smooth and fast, Mercedes looks a bit rigid and they can’t push it past the limits.

It feels hard to see past a Max WDC but Silverstone will be a really good indicator of what performance there can be extracted from the Mercedes.

They bounced back well in the early part of season and there’s plenty of racing left if they find the key.

Remember we have harder/more durable rear tyres coming - I think it could flip the balance.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  4. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Russell summoned to the stewards now for moving under braking.

Stewards at Austria be like "No racing allowed!!!"

Number 1 Jasper and ched999uk like this.
  5. SgtBhaji

And now another 8 pulled in... They're like Oprah today.

6. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Another 8 ?

7. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

F1 needs to have a clear ruling on how much space a car on the outside is entitled to.

I can see both arguments. Some people like watching drivers get their elbows out, whilst forcing drivers to leave space allows for battles that last multiple corners.

What bothers me most is the we tend to flip flip on the issue. We get periods where the stewards are very lenient and then sudden crackdowns which just leaves things unclear for all involved.

Justjazz likes this.
  8. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

9. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Just give everyone a 5 second penalty and that way everyone's happy.

Number 1 Jasper and SgtBhaji like this.
  10. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's pretty much every driver behind the top 4 who finished the race under investigation I think? Perhaps a record?

11. SgtBhaji

The problem for me is that if you're going to try make a move on the outside, you should be expecting that the car your passing is going to be taking the line unless you're ahead. You can't be expecting the car you're passing to yield because you can't complete the pass.

Smithers, Justjazz and Big Ern like this.
  12. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

13. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Exactamundo, all 3 penalties involving Perez were bullshit imo, all caused by the car that went off trying something speculative around the outside, risking the gravel, and not backing off when it was clear there was no room. Is it circumstance that they all favoured Ferrari?

Justjazz and SgtBhaji like this.
  14. SgtBhaji

Yeah..that hadn't crossed my mind untill you mentioned it. The length of time between the Lando/Perez incident and it then going under investigation was a little suspect. It would suggest that they complained about it, then after that they had no option but to penalize similar incidents.

It really pisses me off when they give people penalties for racing.. then top it off with penalty points. McLaren should really fight that one.

Justjazz and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  15. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There is an element of personal preference, but I would say there should be such a thing as being far enough alongside to be entitled to space. There was a moment during the Alonso-Russell battle where Fernando tried it around the outside of turn 6, George left space and they battled into turn 7. That to me is more entertaining racing than watching the door get slammed shut on the exit every time somebody tries a move around the outside.

The Leclerc one was the worst today. He did have the move completed when Perez made contact, so I'm surprised to see people thinking that was good racing.

What I find odd is the precedent that this is OK was established when Max did it to Leclerc to take the win in 2019 and its happened regularly since. I don't like it when things start getting penalised with no announcement of any change. It makes me think the stewards only cared because of the gravel traps.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  16. SgtBhaji

The problem there is that it's too easy to throw the car in there, knowing that you can't execute the move cleanly and the defending driver has to yield. If you can scare the pants of your opponent and make it stick, forcing them to give up the position, then I'm all for it...but don't expect the position to be yours when another driver had the right to the line.

I get how they want to increase safety and reduce the risk of crashes, but the art of defending and being hard to overtake is something that's just being killed for me. If you're willing to make a move like that, be prepared to be taking a run through the kitty litter if you can't get it done.

ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  17. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I'm a big Charles fan, but all the penalties today were a nonsense really. They had to give Perez his two, because both his moves were worse than the one Lando pulled, but they were all just hard racing.

It is worth noting though, that Russell and Alonso did show that you don't actually have to push the car on the outside off the track...

I don't think all three favoured Ferrari at all. If Ferrari had anything done against them, it was by themselves, for not bringing in CLC on the same lap as Red Bull brought Perez in. He'd have retained his lead over him then, and all this stuff would be moot...

SgtBhaji likes this.
  18. SgtBhaji

Using the Russel v Alonso as an example. Yep...I get it, but if I'm remembering this correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong...Alonso ultimately got the run on Russell out of that same corner. So if I am remembering this correctly, a little tougher on Alonso would have pushed him back.

Going to have to go back and check if I'm correct there as I spent most of it just willing him to keep the spot. :)

19. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Just imagine if George moves to Merc, McLaren and Ferrari pull out a good car next year as well. Man, it's going to be fun.

Justjazz and SgtBhaji like this.
  20. SgtBhaji

All we can do is hope!