1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Calling Irish Rs (Non QPR) - West Coast Hotels (not California!!)

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by 4StringR, Jul 30, 2014.

1. 4StringR

4StringR Active Member

Herself and the kids are down in the Rebel County at the moment on the annual summer pilgrimage to see "Mammy" (no doubt tonight now licking their wounds tonight after getting destroyed in the U21 Hurling Munster final by Clare!).

I will be joining them (as I have done every year for the last 18 years!!) in mid-August for 10 days.

Every summer I spend a lot of time sitting in the mother-in-laws front room looking out at the rain and clouds waiting for someone to suggest we go down to Youghal and play hide and seek in the fog on the beach or visit Merchant Quay for a bit of "shopping".

So this year I have agreement that after a few days we will take off in the car and show the kids that life in Ireland does exist outside of Cork, Dublin and Graiguenamanagh (and that wild place miles away where Nuts lives!!).

Have done Killarney to death with herself over the years - and it is stupidly expensive at this time of year for a family of 5, so I was thinking maybe Clare or Galway, which other than fleeting visits to the area for family weddings, over the years we don't know much about.

Getting to the question finally............

West coast, Co Clare or Co Galway, does anyone have any recommendations for any decent hotels, I thinking the Spa type with pool and health club to pamper herself and the girls, that you may have experience of?

What areas would be a good place to act as a base. In the unlikely event that the weather is consistently great in mid-August then fine, we can head to beaches, but if it is ****e then somewhere not too remote to be isolated with nothing to do?

2. QPRNUTS

QPRNUTS Well-Known Member

Head north
    Enniskillen caves are fab and Belfast just up the road. Use my house as a base 👍

3. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

The Galway Bay hotel in Salthill is really nice. Just outside the city, has a pool and across the road from the beach and beside the funfair for the kids.

The Hotel Westport is lovely too. Close to Clew Bay and Achill Island. The beaches on Achill are stunning.

4. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We had a few stays in Clifden, lovely area right on the edge of Connamara, easy to get to Galway, Sligo and beyond....

5. Belfasthoop

Belfasthoop Well-Known Member

Just back from our family holidays in Clifden. Really beautiful countryside and loads to do. We were scuba diving, horse riding and fishing, on a glass bottomed boat, great seafood and decent weather when we were there(makes a difference!)Galway is about an hour away. Get the ferry over to Fr Teds Island which is near too-just watch the Missus if you spot Pat Mustard driving around on his milk float!

6. 4StringR

4StringR Active Member

Thanks Tramore and Belfast - I have found a place from searching out Clifden, called the Delphi Adventure resort, that seems to be an upmarket lodge type hotel with a spa and multi outdoor activities centre. In the middle of nowhere near Leenane but seems to have mostly great reviews. Just waiting for the others to check it out and give me the green light to book it

7. CORKeR

CORKeR Well-Known Member

Do it 4SR. Been there on a work gig and also non-work. Great place with great activities. Leenane is an absolute gem with a pub that serves the best toasties and stout. Kids and adults alike will love it. Do it!