1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Can any-one answer.....?

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by devonFRATTONiser, Jun 4, 2020.

1. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

League One probably won't restart but the playoffs will likely go ahead
    League Two won't restart but the playoffs will likely go ahead
    The Premier League is set to restart
    The Championship is set to restart
    The FA Cup is set to restart

So what about the Leasing.com Trophy final?
    Is the match between Pompey and Salford going to take place?

I know the likes of a certain P.Lapras will be cheering if it doesn't, but at the end of the day it's a piece of silverware, which Pompey, if they win, would be the first side ever to win two seasons in a row - quite a feat for a competition in its 36th season!

Any-one have an inkling about if and when it will be?

2. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Well dev, seeing as Pompey fans have already purchased over 50,000 Wembley tickets, and Salford fans around 3,500 tickets for this match, I don't think that either the EFL or the mighty FA would wish to have to refund ticket money to all those fans !!

As to when the final will be played, then it is down to mere supposition amongst the fans. Some fans suggest the game will be played just before the next season commences in say early August, I have heard that others reckon it could be November 2020 at the earliest.

I don't particularly mind when it is, as long as it is definitely played.

3. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To be honest Woops, I reckon the tickets will have to be refunded anyway and the game played behind closed doors.

The days of full stadiums (and life in general as we knew it) wont come back until a vaccine for Covid-19 has been tested, proven and mass produced

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  4. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

I have no idea as to the answer to your question Devon. However, unlike the playoffs which there is some urgency for so that teams know which league they are in next year, the cup final is less less restricted in its timing and could be delayed until crowds are allowed to return.

In Australia some rugby league - currently being played behind closed doors- will be played in front of crowds next week apparently. While Australia has thus far controlled the virus relatively well it is still in the community.

I think a vaccine is far from a certainty, let alone the timing of it, and communities have to find a new balance in the level of risk we are prepared to accept in the mean time.

It appears that all discussion at the moment is about completing the 19-20 UK season and I have read nothing about when next season will commence. It may not start until spectators are permitted. It could be a compressed season with two fixtures per week all season. If this were the case it may be sensible to give the Leasing Cup a rest for 12 months. ( but don't get your hopes up Lapras!)

Quite apart from compensating existing season ticket holders selling tickets for next year will be difficult until all the terms of sale are spelt out. Will they reduce tickets so those that buy enjoy some social distancing? It may be possible to sell season tickets in conjunction with an Ifollow subscription of sorts so the ticket holder has the choice of attending or watching on line.

Whether through legislation or spectator reluctance I think crowds will be substantially down next year, While the game has done much to diversify its income streams there will be less money about in the foreseeable future. The only place the required savings can come from is probably player wages. As someone who started watching the game when the maximum player wage was twenty pounds this worries me less than it may some. However, the transition to a leaner future will no doubt be painful for many.