1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Canaries V Brewers

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Sep 12, 2017.

?

Predict the result

1. Canaries win

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Brewers win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Stalemate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

But it clearly vindicates the wisdom of this decision <doh>

JM Fan likes this.
  2. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

To have got beaten 0-4 would have been more entertaining. I guess you weren't there? If you had have been you would have been asleep after 10 minutes! It was THAT boring!! I want my team to play well, put in the effort, attack teams like Burton especially at home. Everyone at that game should be given a refund, and I've booked you an appointment at Spec savers!

3. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I was there at the Brum game 1-0 which was pretty boring too but I didn't want them to let in 4 goals to make it more entertaining, I was enjoying the resolute defending.

4. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

If you're happy to watch 'resolute defending' and not our team playing to win, then I have nothing more to say!

5. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

They have won 2 out of the last 3 by hard work and resolute defending, I didn't even piss my pants over the Burton snooze fest as we didn't concede.
    Our defence has been the biggest problem for a few years and I honestly can't remember going 3 games without conceding.
    If we won every game 1-0 with the occasional 0-0 I would be thrilled .
    If you went to Millwall and was entertained by all those goals going in then I have nothing more to say either.
    No point moaning after 7 points from 9 .

DHCanary, ncgandy, JM Fan and 3 others like this.
  6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'm very happy to have taken 7 points from 9 and I'm sure there are very few NCFC fans who would disagree with you.
    There are definitely defensive 'green shoots' appearing after our humiliation at the Den, though Gunn did well on at least a couple of occasions yesterday.
    Our next 2 Championship games are quite tough, so any points will be a bonus and I'm quietly confident of a win in our first televised game at Reading.

DUNCAN DONUTS and ncgandy like this.
  7. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Have to say I can see both sides of this argument:

Our defence has been terrible, and has been the major contributor to us losing games, so a tightening up leading to points gained has been most welcome.

On the down side, it's lucky the defence has improved, because we don't look like scoring many. If you've paid 30 or 40 quid to attend, then 'wow we scored, let's hope we can hold on' may not be what you were expecting for your hard-earned.

My view is still that it's an improving work-in-progress, but it has to lead pretty soon to something you enjoy watching, rather than just nullifying the opposition.

carrowcanario, canary-dave and JM Fan like this.
  8. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Well said good sir, I too think it is encouraging to finally be able to defend, most good teams are built on solid foundations. I hope too that Farke can get us playing a bit better and taking the game to the oppo, whilst continuing to be solid. I don't believe he will be content to just smash and grab. He fundamentally has a possession based ethos and I reckon he will try to build that back into the team without sacrificing the solidity.
    IFWT

Bah!

ncgandy, JM Fan and canary-dave like this.
  9. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Well said, GM. If you have (as we did for several years) a flimsy, porous defence, then you'll need to score 3, 4 or 5 just to get anything from a game. As in the Lambert years.
    But clean sheets breed confidence throughout the team / squad, not just the keeper and back four.
    If we can build forwards from a water-tight defence, that's half the battle <ok>

10. General Melchett

I know with 3 clean sheets and 7 points in the last 3 games, there is certainly some wisdom in the adage, that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I still hope that we can be a little more proactive in home games especially, but maybe away too. I really hope we get to see the more dynamic Reed in for Tettey soon, I think him in with Trybull and an unchanged defence would maintain a high degree of solidity, but add a little more go forward and better ball retention. The cup game would be ideal to try this, though I would also be tempted to start Hanley with either Klose or Zimmerman for a degree of continuity.
    The manager now has some tricky squad issues. Hanley was bought at relatively great expense and presumably with an eye on building a more solid defense around him. Suddenly we seem to have that solid defense and no one wants to see that broken up. So what of the others? Franke and Martin look a mile away from the team, do you keep them happy or ready by giving them game time in the cup? or concede that stability and the ongoing gelling process of the defense is all important? Neither have had the luxury of playing with Stiepermann, Trybull and Tettey so need not be written off entirely yet.
    Along side the wealth of defensive options (Can I really say that? It feels like we have the best lot of otions at the back for a while.) Wildschut has really put his hand up, with the more defensive tactical set up, it is so important to have players like Yanic or a more inform Murphy who can drive at the oposition and make things happen. If possession is no longer king, then it is hard to argue for Vrancic to be included, both Wes and JM for me offer more, especially when a secure back 7 is picked. Upfront there is little to debate. I think a fit Nelson is clearly our best option, right now we are left with only CJ. Chould he be rested/protected in the cup? Does he need to try to play himself into form? Must we try one of our other young options in a less important game, or perhaps Wadkins to see if he can cut it up top whilst we can?
    I'd go for the following line up for the cup:

Gunn
    Pinto Hanley Klose Stiepermann
    Reed Trybull
    Wildshut Maddison Hoolihan/Naismith
    Watkins

I know that playing some of these guys constitutes a risk in a game that means considerably less, but I think continuity and learning trump wholesale changes. That said if any of them what played at sourgrapes united are in need of a rest, the league game on Saturday comes first.

Bah!

JM Fan and canary-dave like this.

11. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

My thinking for the cup would be similar, but I wouldn't play both JM and Wes with Pritchard out. Similarly I wouldn't risk Pinto, Klose or Stiepermann for a cup game. The other players need game time and none of them I would consider 'squad players'. It would also indicate whether the clean sheets were to do with the new formation or the defensive choices. My line-up would be:

Gunn
    Martin Hanley Franke Husband
    Reed Trybull
    Wildshut Maddison/Hoolahan Naismith
    Watkins

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be inclined to make quite so many changes and Martin played 90 minutes for the under 23s yesterday, so I'm not sure if he'll be OK to make the starting 11 tomorrow.

I would go with -
    McGovern;
    Pinto, Hanley, Franke, Stiepermann;
    Reed Trybull;
    Wildschut, Hoolahan Naismith;
    Watkins.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  13. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

I see absolutely no point in keeping three consecutive clean sheets and then reintroducing Martin.
    Back to square one personified!

carrowcanario and JM Fan like this.
  14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

From today's presser - "Grant Hanley is cup-tied as played for Newcastle last round. Naismith prob abductor muscle, so didn't train yesterday, Russ Martin also unlikely.
    JM is OK if a "little bit bloody" after challenge but is available tomorrow. Oliveira may return after Bristol but too soon to say."

15. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

That's a shame.
    As a result, I'd be inclined to stick with Klose and Zimmerman, the latter-day Malky & Flemo <ok>

JM Fan likes this.
  16. General Melchett

Whilst I really don't want him back as first choice, I still think it is a touch harsh to condemn him any more than Zimmermann for their involvements in earlier poor displays. Just as Zimmerman is benefiting from playing with; Klose, Stiepermann, Pinto, Tettey and Trybull it is not unreasonable to think maybe Martin would also do better with them around him.
    That said, I do believe with Klose, Zimmerman and Hanley, he should be at best 4th choice, with age more on Franke's side I would say 5th best. So I would say he must content himself with being 2nd best right back (Out of two granted, not sure I'd want Wildshut there more than him?)
    So whilst I don't think him playing is a great idea, or want to see it, it may not be fully back to square 1, in my umble. If we kept a clean sheet with him in there on Tuesday it would say a lot for the robustness of the new system. Unlikely I know, but I can't rule any player out even Martin from those defensive sh#t shows until they've had a crack with a suportive and solid midfield infront of them.

Bah!

17. General Melchett

I would likely too, but maybe Franke needs another go, with better support around him. Klose has had his injury issues, so having others ready to step in may be critical.

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  18. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Interesting that Martin played for the U23s but Franke did not, so he might start along with Pinto. I agree with GM that both Franke and Martin need a chance in the new formation like Zimmerman has had before being written off. Wildschut was being written off by many on here, but he proved his worth last Saturday. I'd also like to see Husband given a chance in the new formation.

JM Fan likes this.
  19. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Do you think Brentford would let us start with 15 players so that we can try out all possible permutations ???

20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

<yikes>