1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Captain

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by FellTop, May 26, 2021.

1. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

One of the things I think we need this summer is a Captain, or two or three of them. I do not see one in the retained list and I think we lacked leadership last season on the pitch. Once a game starts getting away from a team a manager can only do so much from the touchline, it needs players on the pitch to recognise the tide is turning and react as well. That comes from good leadership in my opinion.

For me a captain is someone who encourages and dishes out bollockings. He is someone who leads by example and has instant respect of the players. They set standards on and off the pitch, in training as much as matches.

I hope this will be part of the recruitment.

2. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

I hope he (Johnson) isn’t thinking of giving Wright the captaincy, I’m sure I saw that he was his captain at another team. I’m with you on this one we need a leader and I don’t think Wright is it, I’m actually hoping Wright isn’t getting a game tbh

3. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

We will need a new club as well as a team captain since Leadbitter as well as Power have now been released. No one really stands out for me to do the jobs. I suppose Wright will get the captain's armband since he stood in at times for Power.

4. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

I hope Wright is an afterthought next season tbh, injury prone and not been up to standard since coming back from his last injury.

As for captains, I hope we bring in a few. Mick Mac brought in a fair few in his promotion season and it showed on the pitch, the more leaders the better IMO.

Gil T Azell, Robertson and FellTop like this.
  5. Football Dinosaur

Football Dinosaur Well-Known Member

I hope Wright regains his form. Save us some cash and make us stronger

Gil T Azell and Robertson like this.
  6. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

We haven't had a captain, a real captain for a good few years now. It's just "here, you have it". It isn't really a massive role anymore. Years ago you could lash off most teams skippers. Now, Man City don't even have one, just gets passed around. I've genuinely just had to Google who Manchester Uniteds captain is, apparently it's Harry Maguire.But I know where the OP is coming from. Club like ours needs one. I

FellTop likes this.
  7. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

I think we brought him back too early because we had to.

Hopefully all the retained players will be given fitness programmes to follow over the summer.

Gil T Azell and Robertson like this.
  8. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

You are right mate. Captains for a lot of teams arent the sort I think back to. On the continent it is not a big deal. For some.clubs though they seem a huge deal. The best prem captain is probably Henderson and Klopp raves about what he does as skipper. I just think we are a team that needs a real driving force and standard setter. If as we hope the young lads get a chance a leader to guide them through the tough times on the pitch will be great.

The Exile II and John Wick like this.
  9. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

Spot on mate. I feel we need someone that leads by example, I don't know who fits that bracket at the moment that we could sign though. But the days of Adams, Keane, Terry etc aren't around anymore.

FellTop likes this.
  10. Football Dinosaur

Football Dinosaur Well-Known Member

Hoping we ditch dobson grigg and burge but looking forward to new arrivals in Hope there us a plan and not just signing anyone who's available as we did previously

11. Glencoe

Glencoe Well-Known Member

This is a critical preseason especially if none of McGeady, 09 and Wyke sign. We know the retained list contains a few players who won't be here therefore we could be signing up to 10 players. I have real concerns that LJ is capable of moulding a promotion winning team from such a high turnover but pray that he can.

Bringing in several leaders is going to be critical and those qualities might not show up on data analysis information.

12. OldArgus

OldArgus Well-Known Member

I understand your concern but I have a feeling that the new regime have known for some time who needs replacing and I would be very surprised if they haven't been working on that for months now.

Whilst there is no guarantee that next season will be any better than the last 3, I'm very comfortable with the new management and I expect see a new dynamics in the squad.

13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

We definitely need players with the captaincy attitude, we've got too many head hangers. You want them down the spine of the team from the keeper to the forward. We need more chat on the pitch.

14. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Think O’Nien would be a great captain

FellTop and Oliver's Army like this.
  15. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

O/9 if he stays, Younger in the future would be my hope.

16. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

I think they will have numerous players lined up for every position, regardless of our current players being under contract or not. Speakman certainly said they have been working on the profile and attributes required for each position of the team to fit the way they want SAFC to play.