1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Captaincy and leadership

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Something that's been a rising topic of debate at Spurs, both amongst fans and media, is captaincy and leadership.

Over say the past ten years since our last trophy, Spurs have always been the bridesmaids but never the bride. Semi finals, finals, knockout stages (EL and CL), league positions (3rd and 2nd but never 1st). Could better captaincy/ leadership have changed certain outcomes? If we had a Sergio Ramos/ Carles Puyol/ Steven Gerrard, would we have had more success in "big games"?

What's your overall views on the current Spurs captaincy and leadership?

Hugo is captain, with Harry and Jan his deputies. Are they right for these roles? Should any of them be swapped around? Is there another player in the squad who should take over one of their roles? Is there a player outside of Spurs who you'd love to see come in for those purposes alone (a realistic option though, please). Or is captaincy/ leadership overrated and the winning of games/ trophies just purely down to the quality of a side and how they perform on the day?

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't like goalkeepers as captains, as they're not sufficiently involved in everything during matches.
    That being said, we don't know what goes on off the field and I think that's where the modern captain is mainly doing his job.
    Our squad do seem to have very good team spirit and camaraderie, so perhaps the choices are the correct ones?

Most of the examples that the media seem to hail as great leaders tend to be massive cheats that bully officials.
    Is that leadership? If so, then I'm not sure that I want anything to do with it.

3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Great thread, DH.
    please log in to view this image

4. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

JV or TA for me.

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Jan has always been someone who's popped up a lot when people have spoken of captaincy.

Toby could be gone in the summer though, unless he has a change of heart and signs a new deal.

6. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Is captaincy that important?
    I look at Roy Keane and think maybe it is, but any senior player has a responsibility to organise and motivate players around them whether or not they have the armband.
    The tactics come from the coach. A captain doesn't have much of a role. If a player is inspirational in some way, he will inspire his teammates regardless.

7. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

I feel it could well have made a difference. Who would i pick from the current squad? Hmmmm, that's actually really tough, and not in a good way

8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

English football attaches far too much importance to the role of captain, which isn't shared elsewhere: in Italy the coach tends to leave it to the players to decide who the captain is, while in Spain the armband is often given to the oldest player in the squad - and by complete coincidence both of these countries have won World Cups this millennium, while England has flitted between saying the captaincy is the most important thing ever or just having the player with the most sponsors wear the armband

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    PowerSpurs likes this.
  9. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't give it to Kane incase it affects him negatively. I'd rather he just concentrate on scoring goals.

I'd give it to Dier because I think it would bring out the best in him as a footballer. He's comes across all guts n glory, we don't need a captain to improve our technical game...we need one to galvanise the team during a game...to get them fired up and focused on the matter in hand...I think he's got that in him..if you doubt me...ask Ramos. The added pride and responsibility might just bring out the best in Dier.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018