1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Carabou Cup Final Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Dr Van Helsing

Dr Van Helsing Well-Known Member

Well done enjoy gentlemen.. I think we did pretty well today just that bit of quality at both ends won the game.

We'll be back

2. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

A great game needs two good sides to turn up. Your time is coming.

Munson. likes this.
  3. Dr Van Helsing

We had a go think de geas save was key judt before your 1st.. if we'd just got the 1st we might have done it today... unfortunately like I say you had better quality in key areas .

I think we're probably 2 windows away from having a very good side.

Anyway someone has to lose these things and we're experienced at it....brush it off and see the positive which is that we will be trying every year.

Treble and glazerfodder like this.
  4. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Piers Morgan: has he crawled back under his rock?

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'm just made up for these players.

We have replaced mercenaries with players with fire in their belly and hunger to win.

Finally a team of winners.

Casemiro scoring and Rashford responsible for the 2nd was perfect. And our defence with the likes of Martinez, Shaw, Varane etc keeping a clean sheet. What could be more fitting?

The way we've got to here. Fcking brilliant. Now we move on and up!!

cytrax, glazerfodder and Diego like this.
  6. Dr Van Helsing

It's the 1st final we've had under our new owners .. I'm choosing to ignore the 60 years before.

Here's to hoping we end up being Phil Taylor and you guys Dennis priestly

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

This is from the game against the chavs, but it sums up why we perform when this bloke plays... standards!

please log in to view this image

Diego likes this.
  8. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

One image of today i will never forget is Weghorst after the final whistle.
    He was sat on his haunches at the edge of the pitch with the biggest smile i have ever seen and singing United Road with the supporters.
    What made it even better was Sabitzer came up to him and said "what a ****ing loan this is" also smiling his head off.

cytrax, glazerfodder and Treble like this.
  9. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I remember calling ETH the kind of bastard of a manager that we needed as we started the search to replace Ole.

I was wrong! The man is no bastard! He is fkin genius!!

For years, we had players with plenty talents. We had plenty of resources. Plenty of money floating around too. But one thing that we lacked was discipline. Fixing the discipline problem proved to be impossible for many managers. But ETH is really unlike anyone we have had since Sir Alex. He is measured emotionally, he is direct with his approach, but most importantly, he is methodical with his game-plan and execution strategy.

Still a long way to go to fully confirm this new trajectory for this team. But the signs are mistakenly clear that we are on the right path.

10. Christiansmith

We’ve had Jose who took us nowhere. His ego meant that he put himself ahead of every body else. Not sure that’s the type of bastard you were referring to?

But ETH seems to be a disciplinarian first and foremost with basic principles to be followed. And he’s a good tactician as well. Every move he made regarding difficult issues including Ronaldo or Maguire was spot on.

agree that we may have hit on the right person after 10 years of searching :)

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

We needed a manager that wouldn’t let players run amok. But you can’t just rule with iron fist and not have a plan that is intended on bringing the best out of the players. Jose was a sort of bastard that completely drained confidence from those he did not like, and overly elevate those that he liked. And because lacked discipline on that level, it was Never really sustainable. Works for 18 months and then goes to ****.

ETH has the best balance of equanimity and fire to lay down the law.

12. Dr Van Helsing

You should have let us win so we could go into the game vs citeh without our collective souls being removed.

You should be after the title not this tin pot cup that to us seems like the holy grail.

Poor fwd thinking from Haag

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I was thinking about this yesterday. So glad it wasn't Poch. I was weighing it up and Poch would've got us playing well and even recruited well and got good results, but there's something about the "winning mentality" under Ten Hag and the consistency that goes with it which Poch couldn't have delivered.

14. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Poch was an overly simplistic media nonsense. The last thing that the club needed was a media elected manager whereby they eliminate all other options and hand us the one from their storylines.

Poch in my opinion is somewhat soft, at least in public perception. I don’t think that trait is a fit for the club.

15. Christiansmith

Few of the managers of “big” clubs can be called “soft” tbf. At least those who are successful. The only one who could be seen as “soft” is Potter. But do players not respect him or follow his instructions because he’s seen as soft? IMO the problems arise from elsewhere: having too many players laying claim to the first team, and players who may not even be his choice.

16. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

It would seem we dodged a bullet with Potter

17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think it's more a case Potter didn't dodge the bullet taking the Chelsea job.

They're a mess at the moment. He's a good manager and will do well...if they're prepared to give him time.

18. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

He is surely a better manager than his Chelsea record suggests. I can’t imagine what the atmosphere is like working at that club. He must feel like a fish out of water with their disastrous structure. He has done his reputation a massive disservice taking that job.

19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I don't know the way they've recruited players and how much say Potter has had, but imagine if 30+ players had been dumped on Ten Hag. I doubt we would be making the progress we are.

It makes me laugh thinking about what Chelsea training sessions must look like with about 10 of them training with the reserves <laugh>

cytrax likes this.
  20. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Haha. I did imagine the training session with half the players knowing they will never get a chance to kick the ball, even in training because there isn’t enough time for all. lol