1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Cardiff City v Sheffield Wednesday

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Masky, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Big club coming to us today, known better times of course. A tough game ahead, but I think we could win it by the odd goal in 6! :emoticon-0103-cool: Of course that it if Peter Swan is unfit...

please log in to view this image

Defeat at Preston on Tuesday saw Neil Warnock's Cardiff drop to second in the table

Cardiff boss Neil Warnock could make changes after their first league defeat of the season at Preston.

Danny Ward, Lee Tomlin, Liam Feeney and Craig Bryson could all come in.

Sheffield Wednesday boss Carlos Carvalhal has doubts over Steven Fletcher, Ross Wallace, Barry Bannan and Kieran Lee after they picked up knocks in the win over Brentford.

Midfielder Sam Hutchinson (knee) and defender Glenn Loovens (hip) are still sidelined but could return soon.

SAM's prediction
    Home win 46% Draw 27% Away win 27%
    SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

Match facts
    • Cardiff have not lost a home league game against Sheffield Wednesday since April 2007, winning five and drawing two games since that defeat.
    • The Owls are without a clean sheet in nine league visits to Cardiff - Martin Hodge was the last goalkeeper to record a shutout in a 2-0 win in May 1984.
    • Neil Warnock has not lost a home match against Sheffield Wednesday since March 1991, when he was in charge of Notts County and lost 2-0 at Meadow Lane to an Owls side managed by Ron Atkinson; in all competitions since, he has remained unbeaten in 11 games (W5 D6).
    • Gary Hooper has scored in his last three league matches for Sheffield Wednesday, netting three goals; he has not scored in four consecutive Football League matches since February 2008 when he played for Hereford United.
    • Cardiff have won more points (5) from goals in the last 15 minutes of Championship games this season than any other side in the division.

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Been away for a week in deepest Buckinghamshire. No football around Great Missenden - Wycombe was the nearest and you can't call that football.

Back home this morning ready for SW but whilst away, we got a miserable 1 point out of 6 on the road. I can see a reaction from Warnock and the lads today.

It looks like the Wendies boys think we're a kick and rush outfit whereas they play the sweet football and that will get them to come out on top.

I seem to remember a lot of Wolves fans said that a couple of weeks back.

Just a quick point about the personnel on the pitch today - Bryson could win this for us.

3. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

Early in the season, but important to get 3 points today methinks!

4. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

A lot of huff and puff but not a lot to show for it in that first half.

5. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

It's been a ough start to the season and it continues with an away trip to Sunderland. We've played 4 top six sides thus far, an no TV match. Doris thinks this an unfair situation and is demanding the home number of an EFL executive....to give home a piece of it...:emoticon-0103-cool:

6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Just watched SW make the same mistake that City usually made before Warnock arrived. Go a goal up and drop back to defend it.

We'd weathered the early Wednesday possession advantage and either team could have got the first goal. As it was the Wendies got it but then they sat back to defend it in the second half. Nearly worked but in the end it cost them 2 points.

We got out of jail with some real effort after the break but really lacked a spark to break them down.

As for individuals, I think Peltier needs a spell on the bench. Zohore looks a shadow of himself but would keep plugging away with him - if dropped now his head could really go down.

Bryson added a lot to midfield and that covered for a poor showing from Ralls - I'd have taken him off on the hour and stuck Damour on.

All in all a point gained at the death. I see Leeds lost at Millwall so with Wolves winning, that'll do for now.

7. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

For me, I am worried about creativity. Mendez-Liang was the only player to take the ball at the defense but his final touch was lacking. Zohore worked hard, but was never given a chance as our passing was poor. This may wear him down. We look weak on the flanks and often ran out of ideas. Bryson worked hard but lacked a killer pass. We may find it hard to score goals consistently. Still, I guess the effort was there, and picking up points when not playing well is vital.

8. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

I thought Ralls did alright. He really put himself about. I'll agree about Bryson's effort though, he was very energetic and proved he'll be a real asset for us moving forward.
    To play a good footballing side like Wednesday we need to be better in possession. We gave it back too easily. We were far too deep for the first half until we conceded. I'm not sure why we played so deep as our centre backs are quick enough to only have to worry about really quick forwards. Wednesday's aren't that quick.
    I though they were excellent without the ball, they worked really hard and made all their blocks and inceptions. They were a difficult side to break down. In true Warnock style we found a way. We played balls to channels and bombed long throws in. It wasn't pretty but it was ultimately effective. A decent draw against one of the best sides in the division. We'd have all been well happy with 17 points from 8 games. When you consider our fixture list so far it's even more impressive.

9. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Got to be more creative in central midfield against these possession obsesssd teams.

However Ralls, Gunner are not creative. Time to make room for Tomlin.

Ralls to step down.

Also maybe it's time to give Zahore more space by playing him & Ward up front at the expense of a winger.

10. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

That was Ralls' worst game of the season - that's maybe because he's been so good so far.

He always puts himself about but it wasn't happening for him on the ball. Damour is quicker and would've brought something different to the game for that last half hour.

All in all so far this season, I totally agree where we are now after 8 games is far better than I expected