1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Cavani's Ban

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cytrax, Jan 4, 2021.

1. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Of course, Cavani was banned by the FA for three matches and fined £100k. Today, I am reading that Uruguay's Football Association wants the ban reviewed. I support them in taking that step.

My take on the initial ban is that it was rather steep, and in my opinion, unwarranted. Yes, Cavani's tweet read: “gracias negrito!”. I remember when I first read this tweet that the main thing which stood out is that the word "negrito" is not to the same as the derogative "n word" that is commonly used by native English speakers. It is commonly used in South America implying natives of the land rather than derogatory. But I knew from the follow on reaction that Cavani will be vilified as a racist for using the term negrito.

Needless to say, I was somehow hoping that the FA would be able to apply context to their judgement to help educate all instead of castigating Cavani who is from a different culture and obviously meant well with his message within the South American frame of reference. To my surprise, they did exactly what I had feared.

Overall, the path forward is culture training for players coming into the country to help them understand the norms of the land. But instead, we tend to wait for them to go against our norms, even in the slightly way, and we jump on them without ever factoring in their own non-malicious norms based on their background.

This Cavani situation only further illustrates the reactive nature of the current cultural cycle which is all about punishment before showing any level of understanding. I am sure that Cavani will learn from the situation but also hope that t it doesn't negatively affect his long term stay in the country.

2. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I am waiting for the day when one black player congratulates another black player on social media for scoring a goal and the goal scorer (being a great mate of his) cheers my nigger.

Will the goal scorer get a ban?

3. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Context is all or should be! In the quoted example of course not. Black singers, standup comedians and celebrities say the word regularly and publicly because they are not being racist as they are black themselves. I was hoping that the FA might come out strongly against racism by understanding the context. Someone can only be accused of a racist act if anyone had been wronged, offended or demeaned. No one could possibly have been by Cavani’s affectionate reply to a friend. If he was black nothing will have happened.

however the FA’s hands were tied. The minimum punishment was 3 matches and not to have punished Cavani would have caused uproar from certain quarters especially the press who want to stir things up to sell papers. And accusations that the FA are just not taking racism seriously. The easiest way was to give Cavani the punishment when United signalled very strongly early on that the punishment will be accepted and not appealed.

cytrax and Diego like this.
  4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Consider this....

the person, his friend, who he posted it to.... is white.

Let

that

sink

in

Diego likes this.
  5. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

This is kind of what i was getting at. two mates speaking to each other in a manner they are probably used to and using an accepted (between them) term of endearment.
    Public platform was probably the wrong place because there will always be someone looking for fault. Maybe keep it to whatsapp in future until someone hack them.

6. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Yup! This is an absolute point! Players are often too dumb and say far too much on social media. Keep it private! Even regular people have to be cognizant of the sh** that I post online.

Diego likes this.
  7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, we need to take this on the chin and make sure it doesn't happen again.

I'd be in no rush to go out printing T shirts for **** sake. We're better than that.

Treble likes this.
  8. Christiansmith

That was a farcical incident, which many RS executives, managers and players regret to this day. They failed to see the big picture and that T shirt wearing was rightly condemned all over the world.

Chief likes this.
  9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

They're currently making up t-shirts against the ref yesterday for not awarding them a couple of penalties.

Diego likes this.
  10. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Klopp is beginning to sound like Keegan ..................... could be fun.

Christiansmith likes this.

11. Christiansmith

When managers start comparing penalties given to them and those of others you know they are starting to feel the pressure. Everyone is saying this comparison is nonsense and it is nice to see Kloppy clutching at straws in justifying their poor form. “Southampton deserved to win but we should have had 2 penalties”. What?

Treble likes this.
  12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Remember when he was claimed to be above all that.. and hailed as a breath of fresh air? The mask has slipped.

13. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

You lot are funny<laugh>

Fergie mask slipped did it... Nah didn't think so:rolleyes:
    Screenshot_2021-01-06-15-45-50.png

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I always knew some scousers lurked on here. Shoulda guessed it was Sucky. Poor lad's been brewing for weeks now <laugh>

No mask to slip for Fergie bro. The bitters always hated Fergie. He was never lauded as the second coming by the scouse loving media like Kloppy was.

glazerfodder likes this.
  15. Sucky

But he cried about city getting pens and utd not, which was what you lot were taking the piss out of Klopp for.

Like i said you're funny<laugh>

16. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Fergie was a calculating and scheming bastard - Klopp is just being a bit of a girl.

17. Sucky

Was waiting for Tel to pop up with this gem.

Too easy<laugh>

18. Christiansmith

“In light of the player’s high profile in the game, his inability to speak English and the fact that he had approaching eight million Instagram followers, the commission were surprised that no such ‘training’ had been specifically put in place for the player by his club,” it stated in its written reasons for issuing the ban”
    “The commission also accepted that the guy’s nickname was actually “negrito”

So Cavani was addressing him directly. Yet despite recognising that Cavani wasn’t at fault at all they thought it fit to ban him for 3 matches and fined him for £100K, which is more than whole clubs have received for more serious infringements. No wonder the Uruguayan footballers and football association were up in arms. To them and most of us it doesn’t make sense. A reprimand or warning and a request to undergo training would have been sufficient.

Diego likes this.