1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Celtic Manager

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by brisbane-lion, Jun 15, 2021.

1. brisbane-lion

brisbane-lion Well-Known Member

What are your opinions on Ange Postecoglou taking over as Celtic's new manager? He coached Australia for a while and I was never really happy with his performance. In many games the keeper had more ball than the forwards. He was a great one for back-passing and the ball spent more time in Australia's half than in the attacking end. His style of play was rooted in the old slow build up method, not, I suspect, something that will fit into the European game at all. Still, give him a go, I suppose, one never knows. Comments?

2. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

Try your own board, there clueless like Celtic new manager <laugh><laugh><laugh>

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Brizzy the guy is a Bielsa deciple and has a fantastIc record in Oz and highly thought of in Japan. But can Oz be transferred to Scotland? Cant say as Im bothered really

Angelos "Ange" Postecoglou is a Greek-born Australian former football player and coach who is the manager of Scottish club Celtic. Postecoglou, who previously managed the Australia national team, is one of the most successful Australian club coaches with two premierships, four championships and a continental title.

4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

He has only got to be good enough to beat rangers to the title, who else is going to win it<doh>

southernwhite, Doc and Irishshako like this.
  5. brisbane-lion

But their grammar is better than yours.

6. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Celtic are renowned for attacking, stylish & exciting football. Always have been. Always will be.

If this guy is as defensive as you say he is, then they wouldn't have gone near him.

If it's a case of believing either you or the Celtic tradition over the last 100 years, sorry mate, but I'm taking the Celtic tradition over your assessment. Unless of course they've decided to change their style & not only lose their games - but their fans as well.

No way will you see a defensive Celtic team. Ever.

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

In Japan he broke the league record for goals scored in a season

Whitejock likes this.
  8. Whitejock

Doesn't sound too defensive to me. Suspect Brizzy might have a minority assessment on this guy.

9. brisbane-lion

Just calling it as I see it, Jock. I asked for opinions. People who know far more about the game than me have picked him. I hope everything goes well for him and the club.

Whitejock likes this.
  10. Whitejock

Not a problem, Brissie. I'm not a supporter of Celtic - or Rangers. Lowly Partick Thistle are my club. We used to get beaten by both - a lot. We had our moments, but knew our place. It was frustrating playing Rangers, as they had their referees in their pocket (widely acknowledged & documented [unchallenged] in newspapers), & relied on decisions & kicking you off the park. I kid you not. However, it was a sheer joy watching Celtic tear us apart, which is an odd thing to say, but you have to be honest about these things. They were magic to watch.

It's possible I guess that he was defensively-minded in Oz, as many managers have put out a team based on their strengths. Who knows? We'll all find out soon enough, but I hope the management have patience - they'll need it as he's really got to start from scratch.

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

When he managed in Oz he ad a very attack outlook and why he won the lot over there. When he went to Japan it was a tougher league and some good team in the J League takes no prisoners. He struggled to start with a bit like our media said about Bielsa as they were scoring goals and also conceding goals. They got to the final of the cup(not sure if they win) and midway through the season he had sorted out shipping goals and finished 14th but a solid 14th after a poor start, but scoring loads and loads of goals. Basketball football is how our media like to call Bielsaball. Should be a good watch for the fans after the crap of the last season

Whitejock likes this.
  12. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay on reply, but I have been ever so busy watching paint dry!!!