1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Centre Backs -Crisis?

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

We are obviously doing a complete rethink on our CB players and for the life of me I don’t get what’s happening, unless we are bringing in new players.

It started a couple of weeks ago when we released Hugo Diaz which surprised most U23 watchers as he is a bit of class. It now seems Aapo Halme is to be sold to Barnsley this week, and this is a kid who came into the first team last season and did well in 4 matches then benched. This leaves the U23s with just Pascal Struijk who most believe will be promoted to the first team, so that would leave no CBs in the U23s. Liam Kitching has been out on loan for 2 seasons and wonder if he will be given a place in the 23s? We sold O’Connor to Bradford too.

We have just brought in Ben White who many pundits believe will be a starter in the first team and Danny Mills even saying he believes Pontus and Cooper may be sold. Pontus told to stay away until after the rest leave for Australia?

Is Nessy coming back? Do we have U18 CBs going up to the 23s? So at the moment we know we have Struijk and White who are both kids with no Championship experience

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just having a read on Pontus, why is he training with Malmo and why is he not returning with the rest?

I see he is refusing to answer questions about his future, I’m assuming he’s had a falling out with Bielsa and maybe causing some dressing room unrest

3. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I don't remember reading anything about Pontus being told to stay away. Presumably this is not an official club announcement. So what is the source?

Can't say I'm bothered about Pontus, never have been. It's the replacements (if he is indeed going) that concern me. Untested & unknown at the moment. I'd rather have brought them in first before allowing this speculation about Pontus. I'm also not convinced that White is his replacement. I still believe he's cover - a Halme replacement, if you like. But who knows with Mr Bielsa! :) #ibwt

4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

The pattern continues

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Hi mate :emoticon-0148-yes:

Plenty of stories out there regarding Pontus which range from a firm offer from Fulham and interest from Southampton, Sheff Utd and A.N.Other prem team. The bit which Elland quoted from Malmo is reckoned to be because last Summer he was interviewed in Swedish press and people over here use google translate to get a different story. Pontus could have been told to be careful what he says. One thing that is however different this time is that his brother has stayed off social media too. He normally comes in to tell Leeds fans not to believe everything...... Popey, Hay, Wobshall, O'Rourke and Urquart are struggling to get a reason why Pontus told not to report to TA, it seems funny and journos will add 2 and 2 etc. Pontus has been the backbone of our defence for the last 2 seasons and his stats put him ahead of most in the Championship, yet we start pre-season without him.

There must be a plan behind this seeming madness but at the moment we only have Struijk, White, Cooper as confirmed CBs and yes Beradi did a job but will he still be here or capable. Has Bielsa come up with a strategy of no CBs?

Whitejock likes this.
  6. Whitejock

Gawd only knows! I'm now letting my thoughts run away with me & wonder if Pontus has let his mouth run away with him just once too often for Snr Bielsa. He can be quite decisive on these matters, no matter the impact on the club. You only have to look at the Saiz situation to realise that.

Doc likes this.
  7. lifecheshirewhite

I've seen somewhere Pontus not due back till 12th of July because of internationals, so keeping fit with Malmo while on Holiday would make sense.

Gessa, ristac and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  8. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

What pattern Eire?

9. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Knit one ,pearl one and knit two together :(

10. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Worrying about losing the quality lads

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

On this I have to believe it comes down to what Bielsa wants. Bielsa obviously decided that Halme doesn't fit into what he wants, so becomes surplus to requirements. Hugo Diaz I thought was great but we released him and again must be because Belsa has other plans. Halme is being sold but we wont get a huge profit on him. Its also been revealed that pascal Struik was wanted by the Hungarian champions late last season but Bielsa pushed them away. So can only mean Struijk gets a promotion this season. There's a plan but I have no idea what that plan is yet. Struijk, Cooper, White are still our only confirmed CBs so far

12. Whitejock

But aren't all the other internationalists back already?

I heard this morning that Pontus is a subject of discussion amongst the players at TA. No-one seems to know what's going on & there's a growing doubt that he'll be back again. That's all I have from 'a source close to the club'.

13. lifecheshirewhite

Most of others agreed to come back early, read that a while ago so looks like was always the plan, maybe they wanted him take a good break, to come back raring to go.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  14. Whitejock

I honestly have no idea. Can only report what I've been told is happening at TA. Perhaps the wrong voices are being heard & the ITK voices aren't.

Then again, if he's staying away for a break, why train with Malmo? What's so different about training with them that it's considered as being part of a break? Very odd situation, tbf.

15. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Everyone got a bit excited about halme after the Sheff united performance. I thought he was a bit shaky. Obviously Bielsa trusted any alternative rather than play him later in the season so he obviously doesn’t rate him enough.

As for Jansson. On his game he’s a terrific defender at this level but he’s erratic and a complex character... emotive, moody and prone to falling out with people. So it could be a tiff, it could be a great offer in for him, it could be idle speculation and he’ll be back with a smile next week!

Whitejock likes this.
  16. Whitejock

17. lifecheshirewhite

Might be with family in Sweden but making sure he's still fit.

18. lifecheshirewhite

Whitejock likes this.
  19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Seems to be some underhand tapping up from the Blunts and looking like Pontus is going which again brings us back to White, Cooper and Struijk as the only CBs available. We got rid of Diaz last week but would have known a while back about Pontus so something must be happening in the background or we are going into the season without CB cover

20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member