1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Centre Backs

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by calydon_road, Jun 22, 2011.

1. calydon_road

calydon_road Member

ah so,....pretty krystal klar where we need to strengthen next. so who would people like to see signed?

i note reuben hazell has just been released from Oldham. surely a good option if we released either of Doc or Dailly.

apart from that, i previously stated id like to see Sonko, Gardner or Caldwell dahn our gaff. any of those 3 could do a job.

any other suggestions lads?

2. Dick Van Dykes Disco Dungarees

Dailly is out of contract so unless we hear different should not be considered part of the squad

Expect Doc to be released any time between now and June 30th

So we need 4 CBs (maybe we can get away with 3 if Youga gets a contract but best not to hold out any hope there)

please log in to view this image

3. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Gardner is close to signing for a Championship club- rejected Palace for it. Caldwell has been linked with a move back to Scotland, so again think he is gone.

Sonko- would love for it to happen. He has lapses in concentration, but he is quick enough to recover (poor mans Micah Richards). Think a signal of intent would be to steal a Leon Legge or Magnus from a division rival though. Really make the league sit up and take note that we are going for it.

4. calydon_road

calydon_road Member

partick kisnorbo? tamika mkanadawire (was absolute class at the valley 2 years ago)?

i also see joe 90 anyisansah is on the verge of joining Orient. good luck Joe...i liked his positivity and application, needs to get himself fit

5. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Anyinsah was perhaps my favorite player last season, so wish him all the best. On his day he is one of the best strikers in this league.

Kisnorbo is another great shout- has he been released from anywhere? Mkandawire I believe had a good season at 'Wall?

6. Franco5

Franco5 Well-Known Member

You beat me to it Calydon… nice work.

I like any Charlton fan am over the moon with the signings we’ve made and in particular those which were announced yesterday. However, from day one I’ve said that regardless of how good any midfielders or forwards we bring in are, we will not be successful this coming season unless we bring in at least two CB’s.

We are in desperate need two first choice CB’s who are capable of striking up a balanced partnership. I’m hoping that Mambo will make the breakthrough this year and provide competition in that area also.

I don’t care who we bring in at CB, just so long as they are…Big, physical, quick, love to defend and good in the air (a Richard Rufus type CB will more than do for me). If I’m being fussy I’d like, one left footer and one right footer as I believe that offers the best balance but it’s not essential.

Having had a look through the PFA Transfer list there’s deffo some candidates on there…

7. Franco5

Both deffo fit the bill Calydon... However Makindawie wa POTY for Millwall last seaso so there's no chance of getting him.

Have Leeds released Kisnorbo...? According to Wiki He's only played 30 games since 2009. The worry is that he has had numerous knee ligament issues which have kept him out as well as a ruptured achilles... Could be a bit of a gamble.

8. calydon_road

calydon_road Member

would u keep llera franco? (promise i wont tell Mike!!!)

9. Captain Blackaddick

Captain Blackaddick Well-Known Member

I would keep Llera, he's one of the few players who seems to genuinely show passion and commitment, and his long diagonal passes, when they come off, are something else. I accept he's a bit error prone, though, so perhaps as a squad player.

10. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

His passion doesn't make up for his lack of ability. Brutal, but true.

11. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

You may well be right SC, but what his passion does is make sure that his lapses in technique and the potential damage these may cause are kept to a minimum.

You're too young to remember Les Berry playing - they're two very different players but something similar could apply to him. Even when he was having a stinker, which wasn't very often, he'd just get stuck in and play himself out of it rather than hide and hope the ball wouldn't come near him.

12. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Maybe your right Tewkes, but again, I want a fresh squad. Also from the signings made, I'd like to think we can sign better players with the little bit more clout we seem to have found ourselves with.

Basically, I want Rio and David Luiz.

13. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

Yes, SC the temptation to have a complete clearout must be very strong and I agree with what you're saying about the standard of players we seem to have been going for.

Rio and Daaaveeed, I may be wrong, but I think they may have other plans...:emoticon-0102-bigsm

14. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

But this is who we should be targeting, Tewks. No excuse for CP and MS to not be lodging bids for these players. <whistle>

15. Dick Van Dykes Disco Dungarees

I thought the main reason for Miguel leaving was because he became 4th choice for the majority of the season

So I guess from his point of view if CP didn't rate him then, why would be suddenly rate him now

please log in to view this image

16. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

I remember Les Berry coming through the youth team, obviously can't remember which programme it was but one said that we had a very exciting prospect coming through and a possible England player <ok> that turned out to be Les Berry. Hype is nothing new at Charlton :)

17. Franco5

Oh definitely Calydon. Not as a playing member of staff though.

I'd bung him a few grand a week and instead of making him turn up for training and matches I'd send him round to Mike's to work as a naked cleaner/butler <rose><rose><rose>:emoticon-0152-heart:emoticon-0152-heart:emoticon-0152-heart:emoticon-0152-heart.

Where Mike wants him to store the roses is entirely his business <laugh>.

18. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Member

I hear though not from any nternal source at the club, that we quite fancy both central defenders at Brentford, and the lad at Colchester United. If we can get some new blood in I think we should send Dailly, Llera, Fortune, and Doherty out to grass.

19. calydon_road

calydon_road Member

doherty, fortune and llera been smoking the grass if their lacksidasical performances of last season are anything to go by

franco -- ha ha. ill chip in for that.

20. Im Jordans Cousin

Im Jordans Cousin New Member

All this talk of Les Berry ( a player I dont recall ) has reminded me of the Steward - Terry Berry - anyone remember him?? Does he still work down the Valley?