1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Championship.

Discussion in 'GAA' started by RebelBhoy, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Rubadub

Rubadub Well-Known Member

Pretty dire football champ so far. Hurling has been ok but the football is becoming a complete joke. 500 sideways hand passes per game is rubbish to watch and its every team now to a certain extent, its not just smaller teams trying to level the playing field.

2. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

It's a hangover from Donegal hijacking Dublin last year... At least in part.

3. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

KK have the hurling sewn up. The football is more open with anyone from Mayo, Dublin, Dun Na Ngall, Corcaigh agus Ciarrai having a realistic chance.

In fairness there hasn't been much to write home about in either code especially the televised games. Most of the hurling games have been demolition jobs so far this year with 1 or 2 being the exception and yesterday's Tipp and Waterford game was dire viewing.

4. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

The hurling is one from three imo.... I don't think Waterford are gone just yet.

The Football is one from 4..... Not Cork IMHO.

As a Cork supporter I'd say they're about 5th in both.

5. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

But as a general sentiment, nothing has really caught fire yet.... With the exception of Meath Vs Westmeath which was, in truth, low in quality.

6. SaveTheHumans

True, but it was an entertaining game nontheless! Will you make the trip to Killarney Saturday?

You may be right with Cork but they showed against Kerry the last day that on the day they can match the best around so it's always a possibility.

7. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

No chance of getting down to it. I have to pick my requests wisely.

I've taken the week off work to coach the summer scheme at the local club finishing up with a bbq on Saturday... I'd committed. To it before the drawn game anyway. I've not been down in a couple of three years now. I've been threatening but **** always gets in the way.

8. SaveTheHumans

Donegal and Monaghan both going with all out attack systems once again. A joy to watch.

RebelBhoy likes this.
  9. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes well..... I didn't mind it.

Surprised at the result but Monaghan were well worthy of it.

Kerry old manned Cork yesterday. After all the talk of soft frees to Kerry, fair play to Maurive Deegan. He was not swayed and he kept giving them.

It wasn't the difference but it was a pain in the hole.

Mayo beat Shligo by 287 points. Tipp let it go against Tyrone.

The real business starts here.

10. SaveTheHumans

It turned out to be okay after the Monaghan game. I don't mind the tactical affairs either tbh.

Yeah, Cork had their chance the first day as they say and Kerry looked to be always doing enough yesterday.

Can Mayo break their jinx or hex whatever they suppose was cast upon them? It's Dublin, Mayo or Kerry then by today, or can Monaghan suprise them or even Donegal bounce back?

11. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

It's a tougher run for Donegal now and a handy run for Kerry.

We've been here before with Monaghan though. They won Ulster then shat the bed against Tyrone when they could and should have won.

I would love it to be Mayo (if it can't be Cork... And it won't be). The bottler tag is grossly unfair. This group have been beaten but they haven't bottled it.

12. Rubadub

I don't think its unfair at all, they have been ahead in big games but not got over the line so they will have to wear it until they win Sam like Dublin wore it until they ended the drought in 2011. No senior All Ireland's since 1951 is shocking to be fair.

13. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

They've been ahead in big games against better teams. Losing a lead doesn't necessarily mean that you bottle it.
    96 I think they probably did.... But all the other times they just weren't good enough.

14. Rubadub

Dublin and Kerry will play their respective quarter-finals against the Round 4A qualifier winners as part of a double header at Croke Park on 2 August.

The GAA made the announcement along with confirmation of the venues and dates for the round 4A and 4B qualifiers.

4A Qualifiers - Saturday 25 July

Fermanagh v Westmeath, Kingspan Breffni Park, 5pm (Live on Sky Sports)
    Kildare v Cork, Thurles, 7pm (Live on Sky Sports)

4B Qualifiers- Saturday, 1 August

Sligo v Tyrone, Croke Park, 4pm (Live on Sky Sports)
    Donegal v Galway, Croke Park, 6pm (Live on Sky Sports)

All-Ireland Quarter finals - Sunday 2 August

Kerry v 4A winner, Croke Park, TBC (Live on RTÉ)
    Dublin v 4A winner, Croke Park, TBC (Live on RTÉ)

15. SaveTheHumans

Kerry can't meet Cork can they? So it's Kerry vs Westmeath and Dublin vs Cork. Kerry are already in the semis then. Dublin and Cork should be good. Dubs will take care of them though. There will be no suprises. The championship is getting boring. Same 4 teams more or less every year the rest might as well not even bother starting.

16. Rubadub

No Kerry cant meet Cork. Yeah its getting a bit predictable alright, the other side of the draw looks a bit tastier though with possibly Mayo v Donegal and Monaghan v Tyrone as the 1/4 finals.

17. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

The last time Monaghan won Ulster they got hijacked by Tyrone along the way. You'd think they'd be wise to it now.

18. SaveTheHumans

Just had a look at the betting before the games throw in and was suprised to see Westmeath odds against at 11/8 so I've decided to have a bet on that. Fermanagh are certs now aren't they :)

19. SaveTheHumans

Youch! What a terrible display of football that was. Westmeath were trying to kick scores from their own full back line :D Sean Quigley was definitely on Westmeath himself too. I've seen better display's at junior club level kicking wise. The placed ball kickers were atrocious for County level! Fermanagh in fairness copped on quick enough in the 2nd half and after the 40th minute when the Westmeath centre forward tried kick a score outside of the boot from half way I was willing Fermanagh on myself and they ran out convincing winners. If the likes of these teams can make it this far, the game Is in a dire state, worst than I imagined and I'm a football fan first and foremost, who tries to remain optimistic, but this display dampens my faith in the game.

In saying that, Kildare are putting in a decent effort here currently, Cork look out of sorts, 2 games vs Kerry possibly took the edge off them plus big Alan O'Connor unfortunately looks to have done his cruciate, a huge loss at midfield. Let's see how this 2nd half pans out now..

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  20. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well that's that for Cork this season then. Christ knows what's going wrong but it won't be sorted very quickly I fear.