1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Championship.

Discussion in 'GAA' started by RebelBhoy, Jun 28, 2015.

1. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Worst weekend ever.

No underage success for years. The notion of just going out with skilful hurlers and expecting them to do the business just won't work any more. There are only 5-6 of them doing the business and that's not enough.

Arguably less than a handful would have made the 03-06 panel.

The footballers have the players.... But not the nous. That Armagh ****ing ref the first day out in Killarney has ****ed my summer. I was out yesterday and had the match recorded I was trying to avoid the score.... But when I started getting text messages I knew something was up.

The first time since 98 that no Cork team has played in Croker and the first time in donkey's years that cork have failed to win a Munster title from minor, u21 or senior in both codes.

I take it really badly.

Truth be told the best 4 teams in the country are in the semi finals....as it should be.

2. Rubadub

Rubadub Well-Known Member

Plenty of G.A.A on over the bank holiday weekend.

Thursday

Bord Gáis Energy Munster U21 hurling final
    Clare v Limerick, Cusack Park, Ennis, 7pm

Friday
    TG4 All-Ireland intermediate ladies football championship
    Clare v Limerick, Kilmihil, 7pm

Saturday
    All-Ireland senior football Round 4B qualifier
    Sligo v Tyrone, Croke Park, 4pm, (Live Sky Sports)
    Donegal v Galway, Croke Park, 6pm, (Live Sky Sports)

Electric Ireland All-Ireland minor football quarter-finals
    Derry v Longford, Brewster Park, Enniskillen, 2pm
    Kildare v Cavan, Páirc Tailteann, Navan, 4pm

Liberty Insurance All-Ireland senior camogie quarter-final
    Cork v Tipperary, Venue TBC
    Wexford v 3rd place Group 2, Venue TBC

TG4 All-Ireland ladies football championship
    Senior
    Mayo v Tyrone, Ballinamore, 2pm

Intermediate
    Roscommon v Sligo, Ballinamore, 3.45pm

Sunday
    All-Ireland senior football quarter-finals
    Kerry v Kildare, Croke Park, 2pm
    Dublin v Fermanagh, Croke Park, 4pm

Liberty Insurance All-Ireland intermediate camogie championship
    Group 1
    Cork v Galway, Venue & Time TBC
    Meath v Wexford, Venue & Time TBC

Group 2
    Kildare v Waterford, Venue & Time TBC

Monday
    Electric Ireland All-Ireland minor football quarter-finals
    Kerry v Sligo, O’Connor Park, Tullamore, 2pm
    Galway v Tipperary, O’Connor Park, Tullamore, 4pm

TG4 All-Ireland ladies football championship
    Senior
    Cork v Meath, Semple Stadium, Thurles, 3pm

3. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Limerick win.... Missed it. Late home. 0-22 to 0-19

4. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Monaghan and Tyrone first up today with Mayo vs Donegal lining out after.

The northern derby will be tight, Monaghan won't be giving up much space and I can see them winning it by a few points, they appear just slightly ahead in terms of quality between the two so far this year.

The second game should be good. I was impressed with Donegal early in the season but as it has played out I would lean slightly towards a Mayo victory here this evening. It will be close but Mayo have more firepower and strength in depth than Donegal and they can see this one through.

5. rednright

rednright Well-Known Member

Good to see Tyrone win. Holding on a bit at the end hence the professionalism, but on the whole they were better and outfoxed Monaghan today.

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  6. SaveTheHumans

Much the better side. Did you notice the change in Monaghan compared to the Donegal win?..against them they were patient and happy to hold back and keep ball around the middle and backs but Tyrone got them so wound up and tore into them so early that Monaghan fell hook, line and sinker for it and tried to go to to toe and attack and be aggressive every instance. Harte and his men had a plan and Monaghan fell head first so as you say well done Tyrone.

Missed the Mayo game, was on duty myself then but they cruised through comfy enough as I had half expected.

7. rednright

No I tend to switch on to Tyrones games only although I did see the Cork match a few weeks ago. My wife is from Tyrone and all the brothers are passionate Red Hands. I love watching it though as it is so fast. I will def tune in for the Kerry match up.

8. Rubadub

It has to be said, that was pretty disgraceful stuff from Tyrone players in Croke Park on Sat. It was a typical Ulster game as in it was an embarrassment to the sport gaelic football but im beginning to wonder if these players have any shame in the first place. Anyway, Kerry will put them back in their place with a good humping.

9. SaveTheHumans

<laugh> he up ended him didn't he ??? ..that is pretty poor behaviour and it's the fact that so many kids see this and replicate it at their own games. As County players they must realise they have to set a better standard than that.

Tyrone did what they had to do to win. Kerry will be a different beast though for sure.

10. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Kilkenny saw off Waterford comfortably in the end.

I was best man at a wedding on Saturday lots of the wedding party wee Mayo so the speeches weren't until after the match. One of the gags I wrote was dependant on Mayo winning. Watched the whole thing on telephones dotted around the hall.

11. Rubadub

That's the problem with modern football, teams like Tyrone will do whatever it takes to win even if they have to drag the whole sport down to the gutter like they did on Sat. Mickey Harte has done some good things for the gaa and he seems like a decent bloke but for me he should be ashamed of a lot of the stuff he has brought into the gaa.

12. rednright

Its about winning though. Sure Kerry may be a step too far but Tyrone are a good team given limitations.....you may not care for the Ulster brand but they also deserve credit for getting there.

13. Rubadub

Its about winning alright but if they could just show a shred of integrity whilst winning everyone would respect them. I doubt they need to act like complete cowards to beat the mighty Monaghan in a game of football, they have good enough players to win without resorting to diving and faking injury like Italian soccer players.

14. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't see it. I think they are limited enough compared to the elite teams.

They need to be bastards to get close to the elite teams. Kerry are one of those and there's no bigger shower of bastards at the moment than Kerry.

15. Rubadub

Im not sure if they are limited compared to Monaghan though. I could sort of understand if they were playing somebody like Kerry but its just embarrassing for them that they have to behave like that to beat Monaghan.

16. SaveTheHumans

Can Galway upset Tipp the weekend lads? Can't see it myself...think it would be a closer final were Tipp to get there anyway. Last week's semi final was a dull affair so hopefully this will be more enterprising.

In the Football Mayo will face Dublin, who we fancying there In what could prove to be game of the season ???

Tyrone and Kerry, will be very fiery and expect an awful lot of cynicism from both sides, Kerry perhaps just have the edge in terms of footballing ability overall?

Answers on a postcard please

17. Rubadub

I think Galway can do it, they seem to be working hard for each other now rather than relying on individuals like Joe Canning, im half hoping Tipp win though because Galway would get smashed by Kilkenny in the final.

Im not confident of Dublin beating Mayo to be honest. Mayo seem to have a better system now that suits them and they look better in defence. A real 50/50 game for me.

I hope Tyrone beat Kerry but I cant see it. It could be very interesting if its close with 20mins to go.

18. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

I think Monaghan are a good team and deserve the recognition as a D1 side and deserved Ulster finalists for the last 4 years, winning twice.

Just getting into Croker is a real sticking point for them. Twice in three years they have ran into Tyrone.... Lucky for Tyrone. I genuinely believe it could have been anyone halfway decent and Monaghan would have bottled it.

19. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

And Galway can derail Tipp.... I just don't know if they will. Who knows if they will turn up.

20. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Incredible game. Now that is what the championship is all about. well done to the Cork Camogs who battled back to beat Kilkenny.....

Oh and Galway beat Tipp too.