1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread CHARLTON V ARGYLE

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Reading about what is happening at Charlton at the moment it comes across that Lee Bowyer and Johnnie Jackson the stand in management at the moment are treating this game as make or break for them and Charlton. The atmosphere is cranking up as if it was a big cup tie match,
    If they win they will be 2pts behind us with a game in hand....but if they lose it will mean the play-offs will be 8pts away and over for this season.
    They've still got major players coming back from injury...luckily Saturday is to soon for some of them....mostly loan players being treated at their mother clubs.
    Two first choices are away for international duties....a third would have allowed them to have called off the match....that third player is out injured at the moment, he is the young Arsenal star Stephy Mavididi....could be available for their game over Easter against Rotherham.

PS.....Charlton have got a really hard finish to the season...most teams that they are playing are above them in the league.

2. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Despite what is going on at Charlton, as the season has evolved this was always going to be a big game. Charlton will be under more pressure and this tends to pressurise referees into giving "home" decisions. The way to avoid that is to play them off the park! Its great to see such a big following travelling up to London.

Prediction: Charlton to buckle. Charlton 0 Argyle 2

3. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Looking forward to it-magnificent travelling support. Just checked into hotel in Reading so just a short hop for us in the morning. CAFC0-PAFC2

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Wet first thing...dry now and overcast...temp 50f....should be ok for the game this afternoon....divided family loyalties today....maybe a draw will keep everyone reasonable happy.....hope Bristol R can do us a favour this afternoon.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Watching out for a mate this afternoon....he said he'll wear something green so I will notice him.....I certainly will not be wearing anything green sitting on the north bank with the home supporters....my 13 year old grandson will be looking after Mrs Plym and me (only if Charlton are winning of course ?).

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great start and one down in a couple of minutes. Deep joy and long afternoon perhaps.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Even better now being two down in 17 mins. Even longer afternoon or perhaps time to switch off.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Half time and still two down.

9. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Had to happen didn't it? Started poorly and conceded the first goal very early. The injuries have costs us in a small squad, smaller than intended I suspect after the Xmas transfer window.

Still only behind Peterborough on goal difference and 2 points behind Scunthorpe witha game in hand. Have to play both yet so all is not lost... as long as we get Bradley back. Not like us to concede 4 goals in 2 games.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just back....where does one start.....reminds me of the Wimbledon play-off final....only one team turned up and it wasn't Argyle.

I found it hard to understand that we could be so inept....going down from a distance shot that went straight over Matthews after 2 minutes....that's just the start they needed under new management,..... our lack of Bradley and Edwards showed not too long later when our defence was beaten in the air for No2.

We could of packed up and gone home there and then....every time Charlton came forward they cut us apart and I was just waiting for a third to go in.
    I can remember only one shot that had to be saved by their keeper and that was in the 93rd minute....Adams changed things around not long into the second half bringing on Taylor-Sinclair and Fletcher....Songo'o was one going off and he had a poor game. Fletcher hardly had a touch, Carey got well marked and kicked a few times but Charlton needed not to worry he didn't have any influence on the game and went into moaning mode to the Ref every time he was muscled off the ball.

Taylor had a hard time up front and got a few free kicks by falling over....but he was no worse than anyone else....just a terrible day at the office.

My son couldn't believe how well Charlton where playing....we were just living off scraps and never got a toe hold in the game...it was hard to believe that this was the same team that had shot up the league since December losing only to Wigan in that time.

Generally Charlton at home have the crowd booing by 15 minutes each match....they where totally different under Lee Bowyer....just our luck to be his first game.

Good turn-out by the green army, but it was noticeable in the second half how quiet they had become and with only 10 minutes to go large gaps started to appear in the away end and Charlton were waving them good-bye.

The first defeat I've witnessed since Peter Reid and 3-0 at Gillingham.

Luckily other result weren't disasterous for us and we our still in the mix....just need to forget this match as soon as possible and move on.

PS....By the way we might be moaning about absent players...but Charlton have more players out than we have...playing some academy players today...but they do have a larger squad than we have.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's your fault plym.

1. You started the thread
    2. You attended the game live.
    3, It's just your fault anyway.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'm sorry, sorry, sorry.....I'm still going to Gillingham last game of the season.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If we need 3 points then watch out for the hit man somewhere between you and Chatham.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You can't scare me....I'm still going.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Have to say I waited and waited for 3pm today and then it all pee'd on my parade very quickly. Kind of made the day go flat. Especially when they never looked even close to pulling anything back.

Apparently Scunthorpe have sacked their manager this evening and they are still in the play offs. Bit bleddy harsh that one isn't it.

16. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Just back after a far easier journey home than most had getting there....I was inevitable that we would lose sometime and fortunately no one around us seemed to want to take advantage so it is still very much in our hands. Pick any 2 from the 6 teams currently in 5th to 10th for the last two play off spots.We never really got going and our lack of pace was exposed, whilst at the other other end , other than Taylors effort against the post, I don't remember their keeper being at all troubled. No one shone, probably between Vyner and Ness for MOTM..Write it off and go again on Friday.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Even our short journey from Orpington was horrendous....left at 1pm (left early to allow Mrs Plym more walking time, luckily) and my son generally nips on the M25 for a couple of junctions.....takes normally 30/40 minutes.
    Problem on the QE Bridge causing tail backs and estimated time of 1hr 15 min delays....we had to park somewhere different to avoid tail backs that would have effected the approaches to the Rotherhithe Tunnel as well......sat down just as the game started....time we got organized Argyle were 1-0 down.....my afternoon just deteriorate from that point onward....at least it made my grandsons day.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sky video downloaded on ATD...if you dare watch it.

19. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Waiting to see what DA has to say....line em up for 6 of the best I say!

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

He speaks after the match, if you care to check the GoS report.