1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Charlton v Millwall...updates & post match comments

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Sep 21, 2013.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

How likely do you think a new contract for Powell is ? It's seems an open secret that he and Jiminez are on poor terms. All the evidence,regardless of a takeover, points to CP's contract being allowed to run down, and then an exit at the end of this season.

2. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Which begs the question-Is he becoming a lame duck manager? It's the situation Curbs wanted to avoid when he left with a year of his contract left.

3. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

I think some fans are mistaken in thinking that this contract situation is a result of chaos at Board level. It is part of a deliberate ploy IMO. The power brokers have identified the staff that are assets and they want to keep (Solly,Pigott, hopefully Yann next) and talks may be in progress with others. Equally, they have identified staff that they don't want to keep for any number of reasons. CP's sullen body language since the club open day suggests to me that he knows that he is in the latter category.

This in turn could explain why he is struggling this season to coax performances out of players who did it for him the season before.

I also suspect that certain players are greedy flash bastards who feel un rewarded for getting us 9th the year before. No names, but their Twitter pages are illustrative.

4. ForestHillBilly

V-a-V: CP said at Sparrows Lane recently that he wanted to see the players' contracts sorted before he sorted his own. Doesn't this suggest that the reluctance to negotiate the contract comes from the manager himself? If he isn't showing commitment himself, how can he inspire commitment in his team? That's my reading of the situation.

5. CAFC TED

CAFC TED Well-Known Member

See now I am a little bit cynical about the contract situation with Solly, I honestly believe he has signed a 5 year deal or whatever it was simply so we can get big money in January for him, And Chris knows this. Solly gives his all for the club and if he was asked to sign a new deal simply so we get more money for him I'm sure he would too.

Pig and Pope signing new deals at to me basically in the summer we shall have another clear out and those 2 would become key players (as much as I like Hamer :( )

6. ForestHillBilly

I do rate Pope, but if it was The Doctor who planned to make him a key player he would have played him in the League Cup, methinks.