1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Charlton v Millwall...updates & post match comments

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Sep 21, 2013.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Did you go to Watford last week ? For 60 min with Yann leading the line, we looked like a decent side. When he went off for Piggot, we collapsed. I attach zero blame to Piggot, he has been thrown in too early. A key part of the forwards job is to hold the ball up, without Yann we have nobody to do it. So the ball just constantly comes straight back, putting pressure on our defence.

We must be watching a different game, can't you see how inept we are technically ( the players) and tactically ( the manager) ?

We have just lost at home to Millwall for Gods sake !

2. User deleted as requested

Because it is supposed to be the managers job to IMPROVE the players through coaching.

And Powell isn't.

So yes, much as some still lurve the bloke, it is partly his fault.

Powell was getting stick in the Covered End today, so not all are deluded thank God.

3. Jimmy The Addick

Judging from Vol and some other supporters Powell needs to go because:

He can't magically make bad players good players.
    He cant add 1 and 1 to make 5.
    He does not have the pep talk skills of Leonidas.
    He doesn't replace bad players with bad players at the right time.

Jesus Christ turned water into wine, but even he couldn't turn Stephens into Zidane

4. Captain Blackaddick

Captain Blackaddick Well-Known Member

I was at Watford, yes.

You're saying exactly what I'm saying - Kermorgant is a huge loss. But my point is that it's not Powell's fault.

We weren't inept last week at Watford, or against Leicester. Today we were. But you can't conclude that a manager is tactically inept based on one game where he got the tactics wrong when our success under Powell clearly shows that he can get tactics right.

5. User deleted as requested

l

And he can't practice what he preaches in his bullshit articles in the Standard, by getting HIS team to turn up v Millwall. Again.

6. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Surely questioning managerial decisions is fair enough? We have a lot of midfielders in our squad, and it's reasonable to question whether the 3 we had out today were the most effective combination. It's the manager's decision, no-one else's. Our 3 midfielders were hampered by
    Stephens- needs too much time on the ball
    Pritchard- his worst game for us, but don't crucify him, he's an honest tryer
    Jacko- Just doesn't look fit.

We also have Hughes, Gower, Cousins and Poyet. Harriott played very well in the hole for the U-21's, looked his natural position, much more so than wide right, which is where he was told to play today, and he never used to play there. So there are options. Jimmy feels that The Doctor doesn't have the tools to do the job- my worry is that CP feels that way as well, which is why he is not sorting out his new contract. If he doesn't feel he can do the job he should make way for someone who feels he can.

7. User deleted as requested

Agree with Yann's absence not being Powell's fault

Do you agree that throwing an 18 year old raw kid in for his debut in a derby is a risk.

Do you agree that Church is an ' in the channels' type striker, and not a 10 foot giraffe?

And do you agree that Marvellous Marvin Sordell needs to start earning his wages now faster than you can say ' Salim Kerkar' ?

The Leicester game put lipstick on the pig for a week. Thanks to Powell, it is now snorting loudly again.

Oink oink Powell Out

8. Jimmy The Addick

So if we got Francis Jeffers out of retirement, how long would you give Powell to have him scoring 90 goals a season? Because that is about as ridiculous as what you are saying. Apart from the youngsters, the players we have are hardly at the age they are learning anything now. The players we have are the players we have. No amount of coaching in the world could make Ben Hamer less of a donkey, or Johnie Jackson any faster on his feet.

As for "Powell was getting stick in the Covered End today, so not all are deluded thank God." I agree, most of us see this the way it is and are not foolishly looking at this like we are 12

9. charltonted

charltonted Active Member

Can we have some constructive criticism please, Vol, please tell us your team and formation for Burnley, taking into account who we have available. May be a new thread would be appropriate for this.

10. Captain Blackaddick

Agree with all three. Sordell probably should have started, although his poor performances so far meant that I can understand why Powell chose Pigott, even though it backfired. Powell wasn't the one telling them to lump it to Church.

The same team started at Watford that beat Leicester (apart from Wood replacing the injured Cort). Against Hudds, Sordell for the injured Kermorgant was the only change. As we agree, Kermorgant is a huge loss, so I would say that is a major factor in the last 2 performances being so poor.

If Powell doesn't make changes and we keep playing poorly, I may start to come round to your view. But his past record suggests that won't happen.

11. User deleted as requested

Ted mate

I have only missed two games this season. Today cost me over £100. My choice. With respect, when I see that pile of cack served up and have to share a train home with thousands of gloating Millwall fans, I can say what I want,

I don't particularly want to be constructive tonight, I am still f..... Angry. It's a pity a few more don't feel the same way.

This isn't Football Manager. It is League One here we come.

12. User deleted as requested

Team for Burnley in a 4-4-2

Alnwick
    Solly
    Evina
    Dervite
    Morrison
    JJ
    Cousins
    Stewart
    Harriot
    Yann
    Church

Manager (temp) Paul Hart

That is my constructive suggestion Ted <whistle>

13. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

Why do you roll over and let us tickle your belly's like this every year?
    Predictable football is really boring <ok>

14. Jimmy The Addick

Yet if he openly admitted his team are absolutely nowhere near good enough you would berate him for it as well. Be honest, you do not like Powell, simple as that. The reasons you do make no sense at all, and have been countered after almost every post you make by not just me but others as well. Instead of answering any input people give you on the subject you just dodge it and bring up another nonsensical view on why Powell needs to go.

You admit the team is not good enough, you admit that it is not all Powells fault, so why do you do nothing but bang on about how bad Powell is? Save us another lengthy debate and tell us exactly what team should have been played tonight, in which formation and what the margin of our victory would have been. All we can do is show we are not happy with the result today, or the season so far as a whole. Constantly putting blame on Powell when it is clear that with all the issues we have, his tactics and substitutions would not change the fact we are not good enough anyway, so what exactly is it you seem to think would happen if he tried something else?

15. Jimmy The Addick

If that was Millwall tickling our belly, i feel sorry for Mrs.Millwall in the bedroom

16. charltonted

charltonted Active Member

Thank you, almost wish it would happen to see your excuses when much the same performance or worse turns up. Do you not think Powell would have picked Solly & kermit had they been available. At least you have made your position clear re Powell. I hope to see you eat humble pie later in the season.

17. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Paul Hart as temp?- that would only increase the sense of drift at our club.

18. Captain Blackaddick

Probably also worth pointing out that I don't think Hart wants to be a manager again. He seems to really enjoy working 'behind the scenes' developing the younger players, and that's what he's really good at.

19. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Sadly, I agree about the fans. We were shocking. Nothing to go by but we need to make more noise.

20. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Interested to know- how did you guys rate:

Wilson (6)
    Stephens (6.5)
    Jackson (6.5)
    Church (6.5-7)

Thought they were ok. But we all read the game differently.