1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Charlton vs Ipswich

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Nuggets, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

Greed ??? they are on about making Harland a million pound a week player !!

2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

It all started with the Premiership and has gone downhill since then.

itfcptc likes this.
  3. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

If national and international football bodies agree to ban any players who take part, as they have threatened, that would send a strong disincentive.

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

The Premier League was just a branding exercise. Taking the World Cup to Qatar, allowing youth teams into the League Trophy, allowing defenders into the area at goal kicks and back passes at kick off, introducing VAR. Even before the Super League announcement the game has accelerated on a downward spiral in recent years.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I think it was more than just a branding exercise,it allowed the Clubs breaking away from the old First Division to hive off the vast majority of the TV money.The resultant gulf in funding has been a large part of the problem in English football ever since.

6. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Completely agree Big Al the creation of the PL has meant there is a lack of scope of what is needed across all the leagues meaning the gaps widen between clubs. The cash cow of the PL is the single biggest issue in football, the wider the gaps grow the more desperate clubs in the lower leagues get or like us just give up on any aspiration. It's also ruined the FA Cup because the financial incentives aren't there anymore.

I hope this is a wakeup call and there will be some major changes in the English game because of it, not just everyone looking after themselves. Unfortunately that is another problem when you don't have fans running clubs, it is all about wealth and personal interest.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

There was barely any money in the game at all before the 90s to share around anyway. Kevin Beattie would not have ended up in a situation to have his benefits sanctioned if he had played twenty years later, that’s for sure. On the flip side, it cost £7 to get into the North Stand in 1992.

Redruth likes this.
  8. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

This might be a problem that could screw us indirectly. Our owners want to profit from the riches of the PL and we want to pay handsomely to get there and remain. So far so good. But If that self serving, over inflated cartel of clubs lose the last vestige of being English and go into a Euro league (don’t read any political bias-this is purely about football!) then huge money is sucked out of the PL. and our future earning potential nose dives.

But so what? Maybe it’ll simply cost less to get us there so it’ll even out. In any event, the efl survives on **** all anyway. Leicester will be the best team in The new look PL, we can compete with that when we eventually get there. They’ll be room to spare for a start without the nonsense of trying to compete with clubs with billions and billions to spend.

as for FIFA, UEFA, and the PL somehow these ESL clubs have contrived to look even more self serving than them. That takes some doing.

they’re making lots of self righteous noises about how it rips the heart and soul from the game etc etc but bleeting about how it’s against the fans, bad fir football etc is rich talk. For me; they’re like Debenhams complaining they’re closing as online has destroyed them when it was them who came along and destroyed all the small, local shops in the first place.

a tricky one for sure. All I know is it’s about a greedy land grab of market share and just not in the interests of any English football fans supporting their clubs.

Redruth and itfcptc like this.
  9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I think they have forgotten that Everton and Leeds are massive clubs with more pedigree than Spurs, Chelsea and Man City. Arsenal are currently nowhere. Four of the clubs might not even qualify for the Champions League. Ajax, PSV, Bayern, Dortmund, PSG, Lyon, Monaco, Marseille, Porto, Sporting Lisbon, Benfica, Roma, Rangers, Celtic and countless others are not involved. Both of last years’ CL finalists! The premise of the thing is absolutely ridiculous.

The Premier League, cup competitions and Champions League can go on very happily without those 12 clubs.

Redruth likes this.
  10. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I know I shouldn't be surprised by the greed and capriciousness of football's richest owners in this country, but this European Super League is really plumbing new depths. It makes a mockery of the basic tenets of sport and competition. The 12 founding clubs' owners care only for their profits. Most of those clubs have not won a league title for years, some haven't won a title for over a decade. If they do this, and are allowed to remain in the Premier League, they would be blowing teams out of the water because they'd have massively increased their profits. The Premier League would be even more uneven - the likes of Leicester, West Ham, and Everton wouldn't stand a chance. No aspiring football club would. Having said that, a part of me does want the self-styled 'Big Six' to run off, to bring a bit of parity back to the national game, but I highly doubt the Premier League have the balls to actually remove and ban them from the league and take the financial hit.

I do enjoy the pearl-clutching from the likes of Sky Sports and UEFA though. Less than a year ago, Sky were charging supporters £15 to watch matches like Aston Villa vs Burnley (effectively any match where the Big Six were not involved). Now they give Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, and the rest of their employees ample coverage to voice their concerns. Just tune in to Sky Sports News and watch the 24/7 rage against the Super League. If Sky were offered the TV rights for this Super League, they wouldn't be against this tournament. Ditto BT Sport. Sky has played a massive part in stoking and building up the greed and selfishness in football. The European Super League is just another level (admittedly a level too far) above what we've currently got. UEFA also react incredibly swiftly now their Champions League revenue is under massive threat. I've not seen them so forceful against an issue in football before - just imagine if they reacted this way against actual wider, more important issues in sport, such as racism, sexism, and the lack of competitiveness in most European leagues.

Buckyohare, Redruth and itfcptc like this.

11. itfcptc

Completely agree Nuggets Sky and PL have sown the seeds for this. The PL has become such a cash cow it has lost its soul with owners and players wanting to benefit from the riches of the PL. Look in comparison to 20 years ago at who runs football clubs (all the way down to our league) so many foreign investors who lets face it don't care about the clubs before they invest in them, it's a vanity project.

You're right the level of backlash against this is great but where has this been when clubs have faced extinction in the lower leagues? I hope this also shines the light on the impact the cash cow of the PL has had on the lower leagues but also the number of English players coming through. Football needs stronger oversight across all the league in this country because otherwise we just see ridiculous ideas time after time which don't put the fans first

Buckyohare, Nuggets and Redruth like this.
  12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Sky have distanced themselves from this already. I think they know subscribers would leave in their droves if they broadcast this ‘competition’. Hard to see who would air it in the UK. They would probably need their own channel.

13. Nuggets

Fair point, Sky only broadcasts to the UK (aside from its international companies) and there'd be some sort of backlash against the Super League, even if Sky hyped it up for the next few months.

My guess would be a company like Amazon. Stream it worldwide, charge an additional subscription fee on top of Prime.

14. Nuggets

Ignore that Amazon guess, they've just publicly issued a statement effectively stating they are not interested in the Super League. Get the impression this hasn't been thought through that well? And where's the communications and PR? A fascinating, yet depressing, story which will have a lot of traction and potentially a lot of legal battles.

15. itfcptc

I can't see how it will go through. And if it doesn't where does it leave the ownership of those clubs involved, I'd imagine supporters will want them out of the club.

16. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

There's nothing like taking the piss.

17. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

We do need to have our eyes open here. Our new owners would want in on this; they’ve bought us to try and make big money from the upper echelons of English football. I pray that they leave enough money in the club to keep us competitive and carry on making a sustainable profit.

to think the fans are ever first in the minds of these owners would be naive.

I don’t know how the (domestic) fans of these clubs can ever support them with these owners in charge. Being told your a legacy fan is about as close to ‘**** u all u paupers’ u can get.

Nuggets and Redruth like this.