1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cheating in sport.

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by LIBERTARIAN, Aug 7, 2017.

1. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Where do you stand ? Is it EVER acceptable ? Are people right to boo the likes of Gatlin ?

Coming closer to home, did Tammy Abrahams cheat when he handled the ball into the back of the net against Sampdoria ? Should he have acknowledged it, and had the goal cancelled ?

Remember Joe Jordan and his infamous hand ball that cost Wales a World Cup Finals place ?
    There was, and still is, much angst towards Jordan, even after all these years.
    Yet no sense of outrage here for Abrahams' hand ball goal.
    Double standards ?

Is it only the opposition who cheat ?

2. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Don't forget Henrys handball v RoI in the playoff a few years ago.

People always complained about Richie McCaw cheating too.

3. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

As for Gatlin, he's failed 2 drug tests. He deserves all of the stick he receives imo. For me, that's a different kind of cheating.

neveroffsidereff likes this.
  4. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

He shouldn't be allowed back in to athletics after failing twice. I hate cheating, but with the money involved in top sport for being the best is anyone surprised that individuals try it on. Then there is the state sponsored doping in Russia or is it the west making things sound worse. Cheating happens in all walks of life and it has become almost acceptable to some. I hate it and would ban anyone caught engaging in it.

5. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

I think drug taking in elite sport is far more common than we realise tbh.

trundles left foot likes this.
  6. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I have no doubt, I watch it now especially the Tour de France and wonder how long it will be before Froome is exposed as a cheat, before Wiggins, Geraint Thomas, then there is Mo Farrah. I just hope these people who have been superb in endurance sport, just don't turn out to be Lance Armstrongs, but you cant help but wonder. I would be gutted if Farrah is as he is one of the British athletes who gets me off my chair, I was screaming at the Tv when he won the other night.

7. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Agree. The trouble is, especially with athletics, nobody would be shocked if it ever came out in the future etc.

That's why athletics needs to pray that Bolts blood samples in the future never come back as positive - if it ever showed he's doped, athletics would die.

It's a joke that Gatlin is still allowed to compete and is now the 100m world champion.

8. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

I was at Anfield when Jordan "cheated" - on the Kop which was supposed to be for Welsh fans only......

Never liked Scottish football since - for their actions on and off the field

9. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Thing is, I can understand why that sort of cheating happens though.

You are in a World Cup final and know you can score the winning goal by hitting the ball with your hand. Would you do it? I know I would.

Same as McCaw, he 'cheated' a lot, but that was his job. He was the master of playing on the edge. It was up to the refs to pull him up on it and they never did.

10. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

Of course it is:smiley-finger007:

11. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I agrre although he's supposed to be clean now. The people we should really be angry at are the people who encourage athletes to use and who supply them with drugs.

12. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

To be honest Valley, I dislike the Jocks principally for what happened off the field.

Jordan got away with it - these things happen.

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  13. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Agree. There's a simple answer to this. IAAF, FIFA, World Rugby, Tennis Federation etc all need to come out together and categorically state that anyone caught doping will be banned for life, regardless of level of ability.

They say that WADA etc need more funding. These organisations should fund WADA if they are serious about catching the cheats.

14. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

So was I Taff, it was mayhem. I remember on the Kop being asked by a big fat Jock who was pi**ed if I was Welsh - I was dressed in complete red!!
    Our coach driver was so frightened he left us there! We had to walk to Lime Street, train to Crewe sleep on the platform and got first train to Neath the next day. Never liked them since lol

15. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Anyone just watch the women's 1500m final? Laura Meuyr lost out by centimetres to Caster Symena who has a clear advantage because of high testosterone levels.

If a women injected testosterone to have the same levels as CS they'd be banned for doping.

16. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

I get where your coming from, but it's natural testosterone. It's a difficult one, I feel sorry for her, constantly having to go on about her being a woman.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  17. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Agree. I know she's producing it naturally but it's still giving her a huge advantage over the other female athletes. Give them the same levels of testosterone and she wouldn't have come close in that race there.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  18. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

It's mine field this one and it won't go away while she's competing, the IAAF don't know what to do.

19. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Never is right and as was said on TV tonight there is seemingly no solution to the problem

20. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Some big questions there. You could write a book on each one! I'll try a short answer for each one

Is it EVER acceptable? No

Are people right to boo the likes of Gatlin? They only booed him after he had won, which made it look like sour grapes. If they felt that strongly they should have booed him before the race. Personally I don't boo anyone sportsperson, although I may give the odd hand gesture on occasion <whistle>

Remember Joe Jordan and his infamous hand ball that cost Wales a World Cup Finals place ? Yes. He's still a cheating prick.

Coming closer to home, did Tammy Abrahams cheat when he handled the ball into the back of the net against Sampdoria? No, that came off the centre of his forehead <laugh>