1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Chelsea Ladies WSL1, Winter'17-Spring'18

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by DferPolarBear, Sep 24, 2017.

1. DferPolarBear

DferPolarBear Well-Known Member

First game at New Home, Kingsmeadow, Kingston, London. Old Kingstonian ground which they sold to AFC Wimbledon who sold it to us.

First game was today, the visitor Bristol Academy, newly promoted from WSL2.

In what looks like the toughest WSL yet, with many teams dipping into the European transfer market, Chelsea go top of the league on GD after a thumping 6 nil drubbing of Bristol. The scoring started by one of Mark Sampson's ignored players, Drew Spence, the most under rated midfielder in the country. Probably because she isn't 'television friendly' to be polite but honest. Norway's capt. Marian Meldje got a brace too. Match report on the BBC sport website, women football.

I'll admit I didn't expect us to win this big. Man City are the league favs and Arse have spent big and well. Some would argue this will be a 4 horse race. I disagree having watched the Ladies for a few years now.

2. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Mentioned this before D'fer, but I just watched our National womens team turn over World #1, USA on their pitch, then beat Japan, then smash World #2, Brazil 6-1 and win the tournament. Now we have just played 2 friendlies against Brazil in Oz and beat them both games. Great goals, big crowds, 60 odd thousand in Melbourne, and 35,000 in Newcastle (Australia) If only our mens team could do the same !!
    I am sure Chelsea Ladies are a great team and the standard of play would be a real eye opener to most on this forum. My 7 year old granddaughter has just started playing, so Ladies football features prominently in our viewing.

3. DferPolarBear

Sunderland Ladies 0 Chelsea Ladies 6
    A woeful lack of reporting on this. No video highlights even on the Chelsea site. The Ladies look like a shark in a pool of goldfish. Bayern Munich tomorrow will see exactly what the level of the team are. Wolfsberg have twice knocked Chelsea out of Europe and to get Bayern in the 1st round seems cruel, yet it is the sort of team Chelsea want to be able to meet as equals.

Going to Sunderland showed the strength of the squad with three changes from the Bristol match and all seamlessly integrated themselves. OK all three are current international players. Plus the manager at home in London with a bug so Paul Green the assistant was in charge match day. Karen Carney as a wing back! Seems to work. Crystal Dunn still unused. It is one thing to have the good players and another to get them to hit the ground running with back to back 6 nils. If only we could of seen it too. If I was still living in sunny SW London I'd pop down to Kingsmeadow for the odd game given how ridiculous cheap ticket prices are. Rather watch Chelsea Ladies than splash out to see Palace V Whoever on a non-CFC day.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    StanDMan likes this.
  4. DferPolarBear

Chelsea Ladies1 Bayern Münich 0

Hanna Blundell intercepts midway in her own half passes to Drew Spence and runs on the overlap. Spence sees her and plays it back after a short carry. Bundell sees Backmann wide right in the Bayern pen area. Bachmann passes it square to an incoming midfield train called .....yep Drew Spence. Will she ever get an England call up? I very much doubt it. good news for us eh.

5. Chelsea Pensioner

Hope you keep reporting as it's the only report I get. Time for more supporters to follow the Ladies team , they would be surprised at the quality.

6. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

There are some short highlights knocking around on the social channels. Keep an eye out as they often get better reporting that the official site that way.

7. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I have watched them. Just can't get into women's football at all.

8. DferPolarBear

Home Team Chelsea Ladies 1
    Away Team Liverpool Ladies 0

Possession
    Home73%
    Away27%
    Shots
    Home14
    Away1
    Shots on Target
    Home4
    Away0
    Corners
    Home13
    Away0
    Fouls
    Home14
    Away10

9. Chelsea Pensioner

Just seen the result against Bayern puts Chelsea Ladies into last 16 Great work to all

10. DferPolarBear

Yep C.Pen.

Bayern Munich Women 2 Chelsea Ladies 1

60min Fran Kirby away goal made the tie 2 nil Chelsea and B.M. had been in control and missing chances. Last 25 mins and a ball defected off Millie Bright and then off Gemma Davidson on the line give Bayern a lifeline and raised them up a gear. Still it took an uncharacteristic soppy pad away from a shot by Lindahl the keeper which just dropped perfectly for Bayern to make it a claw biting end, including a disallowed goal for Bayern at the death for a push (which was correct). Bayern made the quarter finals last year and were tipped for the semi's at least this year. Well that ain't happening now.

11. DferPolarBear

12. DferPolarBear

Dfer has been on a forum break. Back for a bit now.

Watching Man City V Chelsea.

Before last week Chelsea trailed to city in the league by two points. after CLCF drew 0-0 with City. Then Birmingham, knocked out of the cup by City the week before beat City 2-0 and Chels beat Yeovil 2-0. Man City's first defeat in 23 games.

So come today's match at Man City, on BT Sport 1, 40 mins gone and Man City Women 0 - Chelsea Ladies 2.

Gary Neville seeing Jill Scott getting bossed by Drew Spence. Best battle on the pitch is England's Nikita Parris (MCW) up against new England call up Hannah Blundell (CLFC).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  13. DferPolarBear

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Finished 2-2. Chelsea dominated. Tw0o good City goals but Chels missed a hatful of sitters second half. should of been at l;east 2-5. Still Seven games to go and CLFC 1 point clear at the top.

14. Chelsea Pensioner

Hey Dfer, when you get a minute after chasing seals all day, have a look at a young lady called Samantha Kerr who plays for the Australian Womens team, the Matildas. She is a prodigious striker who looks a perfect fit for Chelsea ladies. Could you bribe the Club with a few seal skins to sign her up ??