1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chelsea - Liverpool Match Day Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

So, a real biggie of a test for the second game of the season. Cheaper with a team full of new stars and Liverpool looking to retain their crown.
    We’ve given them a good game every time last season but they were just that bit better. What can we offer at this early stage of the season?
    Teams and thoughts from you lot below. Here’s mine:

Kepa
    James Silva Rudiger Dave
    Kovacic Havertz Barkley
    Ziyech Werner

2. The Ginger Marks

The visit of Liverpool comes too soon for Thiago Silva and Christian Pulisic, while summer signings Ben Chilwell and Hakim Ziyech remain out.
    (BBC)

3. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

That was painful to watch....didn’t like our starting XI. Jorginho, Kovacic and Kante has never worked together, play 2 of them and somebody more offensive with them. I can see why he put Werner wide but with the way we set up we’d have been better putting a full back on the wing, we were so defensive. One fit winger in the squad in Odoi and he didn’t even get picked?!

As for the game, it’s the usual culprits that let us down. Alonso with a basic error for the first and Kepa hahaha he’s terrible. Two easily avoidable goals, was surprised Azpi wasn’t picked to deal with Salah too.

Werner looked good again though and I feel a bit sorry for him, he’s wasted playing with some of our lot. Hopefully Pulisic and Ziyech can play a part soon cause we need them and although I’ve not seen this new keeper play there is absolutely not way he’s as bad as our current one so looking forward to that. Plenty of work to do though.

BobbyD likes this.
  4. Redbrynner

Redbrynner Well-Known Member

You only picked 10 players In your team........spooky

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  5. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Good game lads always love beating Chelsea.

Try turn up for the next one yeah :emoticon-0148-yes:

6. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Don't get too cocky, there's plenty of defeats coming your way this year if that's the best you can do. There's always only one way to go when you're on top and it's not up.

The Ginger Marks and Diego like this.
  7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

They are already on the slide mate (4th) and if they fail to win the PL or CL this season then the decline will set in.

8. Sucky

Cmon man you were shocking today. That havertz don't look like anything special, keepers a dud, and Frank continuing to play out from the back with 10men was either arrogant or stupid. whole team just shrivelled within 20mins after that it was just a matter of time.

9. Sucky

You just worry about staying out of the bottom 4 Yeh mate. <laugh>

Dunno how you can even show your face tbh<whistle>

10. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Or didn't see too much from the opposition?

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Easy for me mate, i have seen us play **** loads of times since the 60s.
    Still got 20 though :grin:

12. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Only in the sense that Fabinho was wearing him as a pocket protector.

13. Chelsea Pensioner

Said it more than once, until we get someone in midfield who is going to RUN at the oppositions goals and send some decent passes to his attackers, we are tails. Tiago with no training, was light years ahead of the donkey Jorginho who is NOT the man, he stops dead whatever forward movement we might have, which is **** all at the best of times. None of our back 4 tries to start forward play, they just stop ,look back, and pass back. James can attack, Zouma can attack, Alonso can attack, but they don't. Is that the Managers' instructions?? I hope not. Kovacic was our strongest mid and Kante is doing his job well, but the 3rd midfielder is simply a waste of oxygen. No go- forward from defence , no go- forward from mid field apart from Kovacic mean very few chances for our forwards. Piss poor link up play, poor running off the ball, no evidence of much vision. Just more slow, turgid play.
    Kepa is beyond saving now, and Christensen doing a passable imitation of a train wreck. Hope Frank can get his new players out of their sick beds and get them to play at faster than walking pace. Tomori looked much, much better, so well done to him .Mount and Turbo Tim put in as usual, Zouma looks more in control.

14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I never thought i would say this but, Barkley has looked very good when coming off the bench in your last two games.
    Time to give him a start?

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  15. The Ginger Marks

Nowt wrong with the available players but the tactics Frank played. Usually we employ a pressing game which in my view is what we should have played. By not pressing we allowed you to be able to play out from the back and control midfield. Frank clearly looking to play on the break with Werner’s pace. Although that in the main didn’t work all that well but still yielded a great chance which Werner missed.

Although you had the lions share of possession you did little to trouble us until the red card. Nice well worked goal from your lads for the first but without calamity Kepa you would have only been that one goal up. Could have ended 1-1 but for a poor penalty kick. Not overly worried about the result but more worried about the selection of tactics for the game. Sending off was a game changer right enough.

BobbyD likes this.
  16. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

Kepa needs to go. You can’t do a clanger like that at the top level, especially 2 games into the new season. I’ve defended him as long as I can but when it doesn’t make senses, it doesn’t make sense.
    We didn’t look too bad and had this game been later on in the season may have been a different result. We’re still a bit disjointed but that midfield needs reworking. Havertz was bought to run the midfield. He should be in a position to run it. Our formation needs to change as 4-3-3 isn’t going to work for us. Kante needs to be at the made of that midfield as he is completely wasted elsewhere. A prime example is when we had a decent overlap and scoring position in the middle of the first half and Kante was the man who was lined up to hit it. What did he do? Pass!
    It’s still very early days. There’s lots to do and the engine hasn’t been switched on yet. This is still last seasons team. I’m sure Frank will be making notes and working with his team to make it right.

BobbyD and The Ginger Marks like this.
  17. Chelsea Pensioner

Spot on assesment, keeper is finished here, he needs to go somewhere else and start over for his personal sanity. Too much baggage now, and his confidence has been shot to smithereens.
    Frank didn't do much either with weird selections, but worse was the lack of any intent to do anything except sit back and hope Timo Werner could speed his way to goal.
    Havertz looks neither fit, nor playing in the right position, his day will come, blimey he's only been here 10 minutes. It's the lack of vision, guile and power in midfield that concerns me. Kovacic puts in , Kante defends all day but we have no box to box player, so the front men play off scraps. RLC was great box to box in the youth team, and he's a big solid sod, maybe? Anyway, we have a few faces to come yet so it was always going to take a month to work things out, but with no preseason, that's what we get. I was impressed with Liverpools' speed and directness, but given our position, they never looked lethal until we were one down.Even then when 2 up, 11 corners to 1, almost double the free kicks we got, not even close to last years performances, with a pretty ordinary last 7 or 8 game results. That said, still the team to beat, look forward to seeing how teams are travelling around years end, that is if it doesn't get shut down again. Barkley can be had for a reasonable price if you're interested !!

BobbyD likes this.
  18. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Oh behave. Liverpool were playing lazy, exhibition, training-ground football after they got two up. And you seem to be missing the fact that Windy missed a completely open goal at the death. You're right about the first half though - we didn't trouble you till the sending-off. Probably heading for a 0-0 or one of the teams (could have been either) sneaked a 1-0. Impressed with James, though. You'll be a different team with those when those in the stand are fit/eligible.

19. The Ginger Marks