1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chelsea v Arsenal

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by remembercolinlee, Sep 14, 2017.

1. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Fabregas does cover a lot of ground, but he doesn't rack up many sprints. Ozil, when used correctly, is a sprint machine. In the last world cup, in the 7-1 win over Brazil, he registered the second most sprints of anyone, in any game in the tournament. He also has been at the top of the statistics in the premier league for balls won in the final 3rd.

I'm afraid he just isn't lazy. It may just may be as Lazarus20000 says, he can't be used properly at Arsenal, but I have to be honest, I think if that is really the case then the other Arsenal players have to hang their heads in shame. Our chances created is woeful without him in the team. If you are saying that Arsenal can't defend, or win the ball back, without everyone on the team giving up an attack and getting behind the ball, then really we are not going to win many games.

In the Chelsea game Iwobi didn't make a single tackle, interception, clearance, or blocked shot. I really can't see how playing him instead of Ozil contributed to the defensive effort.

2. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Iwobi isn't that great either. The reason he probably didn't make a single tackle interception etc isn't because he's more hard working than ozil, it was down to contes terrible choice of picking cahill who either passed it back or wellied it long ball style.

3. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

The problem with Ozil is where he fits in these big away games, Ozil himself wants to play in the number ten position, but his lack of power and defensive nous lets him down and our midfield gets overrun. In the 2014 World Cup, Germany basically played Ozil on the left and had a midfield three of Kroos,Schweinsteiger and Khedira. Ozil had a free role on the left, and he did a job for the team, but he did not have an outstanding World Cup in terms of his individual performance, but they won the trophy, so who gives a ****.

We don't have a great midfield at the moment, but we could beef up the midfield with say Coquelin,Xhaka and Ramsey and give Ozil a free role on the wings. What I don't want to see is a midfield of Ramsey,Xhaka and Ozil because that does not work, not in a 433 or 4231 anyway, because Ramsey is not great at sitting and playing next to Xhaka while Ozil drifts too much in order to find spaces in attacking positions, which then leaves Xhaka exposed.

4. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Basically what it comes down to is Ozil is a p*ssy. He disappears when the intensity level rises.

Super talented, He glides across the pitch, technically superb but he cant handle himself. He needs people around him who can. Ozil wouldnt be an issue if we had more physicality throughout the squad - but we dont so we cant afford to carry a player who doesnt 'throw himself about' when its necessary.

I hope we keep him because he's a World Class talent but I wish Wenger would add a little more steel to the side. (Kolasinac is a good start)

This brings me on to something that has bugged me for the last few years.

Look at the current Mourinho side at United. Ibra 6'4, Lukaku 6'3, Pogba 6'4, Matic 6'4, Fellaini 6'4, Baily 6'3, Smalling 6'5 he's built a side that can win the physical side of the game. There's a few decent players in their too.

Mertesacker and Giroud are the ONLY outfield players we have that are over 6'2. That's pretty shocking - Athletes have been getting bigger year on year but for some reason since 2006 - we just keep getting smaller.

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Not so sure height is that much of an issue. Sure it helps on set pieces and Giroud is great at winning a long ball out of defence, but look at players like Kante, Vardy and back in the day players like Dennis Wise.

They were small in stature but physically very dominant. (Should add at this point that Dennis wise was a little **** too) <ok>

6. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Oh come on, have you read that link? It's not a scientific study. It's a media firm saying that it happens. I don't see any test data anywhere from a lab with dopamine levels measured. It also seems to focus on people getting dopamine when they click 'like', with barely anything about getting dopamine if you're the recipient of the like. In fact there's very little of anything at all of substance. No actual testing of anything. That's NOT a study. It's a great example of something to show students to highlight how much of story can be nonsense based on nothing ay all.

7. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I'm not saying smaller players cant be successful - football isn't as physical as say Rugby. Peps Barcelona side for example made up for a lack of size with supreme technical ability. But we're not anywhere near that level.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  8. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

FFS you lazy **** - do your own ****ing research from now on and stop ****ing trolling me!
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...hy-were-all-addicted-texts-twitter-and-google
    https://www.lifewire.com/social-media-stimulates-brain-pleasure-centers-2655245

9. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Yeah but.. that's still not a study. It's just another article and there's no apparent testing done there, just theory based on pre-existing knowledge of dopamine. It probably does do something with dopamine. Perhaps. Which are words used in both articles. But still just an article with no testing.

I'm actually genuinely interested and not doing this to bait you as it might appear given out usual interactions on here.

10. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

As was Fabregas' goal vs Real Madrid all those many moons ago...

PINKIE likes this.

11. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

It would have been interesting to see him play In that team. The Bear describes best where Ozil should play, similarly to what Germany does, which means he would take Pires place. He would have the defensive power of Vieira and Gilberto, leaving him with less defensive duties and maximised attacking capabilities.

12. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

So many points I wanted to make whilst reading through this thread...

First if you want to drop Özil, and I think on some occasions that's fair (team pending), then make sure you use an appropriate replacement. For example if it's because you want a super high intensity performance against a strong Chelsea squad I think that's reasonable. However I'd choose someone who is able to actually contribute in a way Mesut can't. I really don't see how Iwobi was an upgrade there. Currently I see him as an inferior Özil with potential for growth. What you could have done is put Aaron in the no 10 role and maybe play Elneny or someone else defensively in his position. That would have given more bite in your attacking position whilst shoring up the midfield even more. There were other options too but I think that was just a really odd choice.

Secondly, whilst delighted to get a point I find it depressing that these days we're happy with that. I guess we've fallen that far and this is a small step in the right direction. Sad times though celebrating not losing to those 'orrible c*nts.

Thirdly, TT, maaaaaate. Professional atheletes always try? Really? Did you see our performance against Liverpool? I mean...yeesh. Let's not forget Chelsea themselves towards the end of Mourinho's second stint when they pretty much all just curled up in the centre circle for naps, Adebayor style. Players are human and they will either have off days or, sometimes, genuinely not bother for a variety of reasons. I do genuinely think Mesut's languid style makes him look like he tries less than the Sanchez "bustle" but to suggest everyone tries 100% all the time clearly isn't true.

Lastly, I lost £50 on an accumulator as I had us to lose and this was the only match that didn't come in. I'm pretty sure my bet was the main reason why we did well so you're all welcome. Any little money you have and are willing to send to me will be gratefully received.

PS I know it's c*nty betting against your team so don't bother pointing it out. I embrace being a tw*t.

winifred122 likes this.